What's new

New guy saying hello and having some problems

Hello everybody! I would like to start out by saying that I just joined the site a few weeks ago and have just been lurking around and gathering a few things to get started. I have been using a mach3 for the last 12 years and am interested in badger and blade shaving. Up until the past 4 days it has been mach3 with zirh pre shave oil,shave gel or cream, and soothe balm. I have had good results but I rush. My main reason for getting into this is to slow something in my life down. I want to take time to enjoy something when im not rushing at work or to go get my daughter after work or trying to get something done at the house. I want to go into my bathroom shut the door and escape for a little bit. I received a package from Garry at his sample shop and this is what im starting with. A date code a3 1955 Gillette flair tip with the red tip and a personna super. I am also using a boar brush with art of shaving pre shave oil and unscented soap. Then captains choice north aftershave splash. He sent me cella and some other after shaves and creams to try but I already had this aos open so giving it a shot first. Shave number one went ok as far as nicks and weepers,just 1 on my chin and 2 small ones on my neck. BUT, then comes the razor burn under my left jaw that I have never had before. Let that heel for 2 days and it was gone. skin felt good so here goes try number 2. This time more nicks and weepers and worse razor burn. Same prep and products as well as razor and blade. Getting good lather has not been a problem and I face lathered the first time and tried a bowl the second. I think this is gonna be angle and pressure as those 2 things seem to be what my issues are. I do have other blades I can try if anyone thinks that may be the issue as well. I don't know much about blades except that some don't work for everyone. It might be worth sharing that I have a heavy beard that grows straight down on the left and grows up and to the right on the right side of my face so I have the hair growth pattern down. I guess when you watch guys on youtube you think this will be no problem and then you do it and get tore up and im curious if any of you guys can give me some tips on how not to press with the razor. The angle thing I will figure out but the cartridge razor has me messed up with pressure and the ability to go back over my face without product on there. This will be challenging but im up to the test. Thanks for reading my long story and for any help you can give and im looking forward to reading more on this site and having some good shaves!:001_smile

Welcome to B&B! I would advise holding the razor with your index and middle finger on one side and thumb on the other, and hold it close to or at the bottom of the razor. This helps you move the razor across your face with out pressing down. Also, I would start out with one or two passes. You're shaves will gradually improve as you practice and your technique gets better. Hope this helps.

Welcome to B&B. Glad that you have joined us. Since you are a newbie to the traditional way of shaving, patience will be your friend. By all means, never ever rush a shave. Perform a good pre-shave routine by thoroughly washing your face and do not apply any pressure and let the weight of the razor be your co-pilot. Practice makes perfect. It took me about a week to get comfortable with the traditional way of shaving my face and a month to get comfortable with shaving my dome.

Good luck and enjoy this incredible forum. We look forward to your participation and kindly keep us posted on your journey.

WARHAWK

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. I agree with Dennard about holding the razor. I would further recommend that you spend the first couple of weeks doing only WTG passes. Start with a single pass for a few days, then add a second WTG pass for a few days. Later add an XTG pass. After a few more days do one WTG pass and two XTG passes in opposite directions. Stick with that routine until you feel confident, then you may try adding an ATG pass. Don't strive for BBS shaves at first--they will come with time. Just relax and concentrate on angle and pressure until you have the proper habits and muscle memory down pat. And keep your whiskers wet throughout the shave.

Take the blade out of the razor and practice finding the cut angle on your arm, then take a cpl practice swipes acorss your face. Even without a blade in you can still hear your razor "sing" out your whiskers.

Welcome! Angle and pressure can be everything, so always use the weight of the razor and gravity to move across your face. Anything much more than that will burn you or cut you. After wet shaving for a couple years now, I have learned to value a comfortable shave over a ridiculously close shave. If I still have a few rough spots on my face when I'm done but I'm completely uncut, then that's a job well done.

+1 for this. Take your time as you develop technique. Don't try to get all your beard with 1 pass. Folks here do at least 2 with touch-ups and some do 3. Be sure to map your beard so you know which way the grain goes, especially on your neck.

Good luck and welcome to the world of DE shaving!

Welcome to B&B. Glad that you have joined us. Since you are a newbie to the traditional way of shaving, patience will be your friend. By all means, never ever rush a shave. Perform a good pre-shave routine by thoroughly washing your face and do not apply any pressure and let the weight of the razor be your co-pilot. Practice makes perfect. It took me about a week to get comfortable with the traditional way of shaving my face and a month to get comfortable with shaving my dome.

Good luck and enjoy this incredible forum. We look forward to your participation and kindly keep us posted on your journey.

WARHAWK

One more item here since you are new to DE shaving and are learning techniques like angle of attack, no pressure, etc...; it is important to note that the Super Speed Red Tip is a more aggressive razor (the Blue Tip was mild & regular Nickel medium). It might be a little easier to learn with something mild like an inexpensive Weishi or a Parker then go back to the Red tip after you get some experience at the technique.

Last edited:
Welcome to the B&B. Glad you're here.

You've already gotten great advice. My suspicion is blade angle. Here is a link from the Shave Wiki on blade angle.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Blade_Angle

Keep in mind that every razor model has its own blade angle. I have found that the vintage Gillette razors have a fairly shallow angle, meaning that the handle is pointing farther away from the face.

Keep after it. It will get better and your face will be forever grateful.

Hi all. Just wanting to give an update. My last 3 shaves using the advice of only doing one pass and checking out the blade angle thread have been huge helps and I must say I've gained lots of confidence and have already gotten it down pretty good. No more razor burn and nicks have been limited to the Adam's apple area. I'm still using my red tip and persona super blade. This is the same blade I started with so ill be switching that out for another from my sample pack. Thanks again guys.

Top Bottom