What's new

New from Jacksonville

I have visited this site a little last year, and then a TON this past few weeks. I have decided to take the plunge and join the cult here at Badger and Blade.

Me. I’ll attempt [fail!] to keep my self-introduction brief before my preliminary comments about this site. I am someone who is undisciplined. I hate wasting time [relaxing isn’t wasting time], but I have noticed that the older I get, the more I LOVE ritual – it helps with my discipline problem. I don’t like to experiment for the most part, unless it involves wine, spirits, and food - I like to go straight to what is best based on the advice of others and I don’t experiment unless it didn’t work for me.

I joined this site because the abundant majority of the comments are intelligent and come from voices who seem to have done experimenting (sometimes extensive) and research themselves. I am grateful to the creator, the moderators, and the posters for the wealth of information on this very interesting subject, especially the advice and warnings of those who share their failures – failures are often the best way to learn.

My shaving experience. I barely remember using an electric razor as a kid. It was messy. And as an adolescent with zits, why rub an appliance over sensitive skin? Wet shaving has been my way for years. I use gel, an Atra double blade cartridge with lubricating strip … and that’s it. I only started washing my face about a year ago with high quality bar soap. I ALWAYS shave in the shower. Also, I remember waaaaaay back in the 80s there was an article in GQ explaining that every man should get a professional (straight razor) shave 1-2 times a year to benefit the skin and prevent ingrown hairs. I have tried to follow this advice throughout my life.

My new voyage into a better shave experience. About two years ago, I met a great man named Farrell who runs a true old-school barber shop here in Jacksonville, Pomade and Tonic (hope you don’t mind the plug). He has reaffirmed my knowledge of shaving, steered me away from false roads, and taught me new things like XTG. Thanks to you, B&B, I have learned the benefits of using a shaving brush and I just received my silvertip Edwin Jagger a week ago from Amazon ($30!!!). When I was in Vegas two months ago, Farrell told me I MUST go to the only storefront in the U.S. for Truefitt & Hill. Using the shaving soap prompted me to get the shave brush – amazing how LESS than a pea-sized amount lathers my face so well with or without the brush – it’s gonna last me forever! I liked the scent so much that I bought the cologne, the balm, and the preshave oil ($180 total – yikes!). I recently purchased Clubman bay rum and the Ogallala Bay Rum sample pack, and purchased Neutrogena Men’s Invigorating Face Wash. And finally, I am about to purchase a Merkur 1904 (if I can get it closed tooth) and am shopping for either a bowl or scuttle (still weighing the difference and cost).

My face: I have light to medium grow rate, with medium density, wide pores (patchy beard). Although I never have acne, my skin is somewhat oily.

Allow me to be bold as a newbie to confess I take exception (to just a small degree) to some of the commenters, their unsubstantiated notions, and their biases. I made my introduction above acknowledging that we are all different: different backgrounds, different personalities, and certainly different faces. Overall, the commenters that have shared experiences and experiments with thought out reasoning have spurred me to join the site. But, for example, I don’t understand the extreme bias against cartridges. I have used an Atra twin blade cartridge with lube strip since college in the 90s and NEVER have a problem with irritation (and have never had an ingrown hair), unless I shave ATG which is only Sunday. My cartridges last forever, shaving every other day – 2 to 3 weeks before replacing. I don’t get 5’oclock shadows and get a nick maybe at most 3 times a year. Furthermore, about 2 months ago I purchased a hydro and LOVE it. Why do people have an issue with the “goo”? It’s soothing and especially helps ATG and you’re gonna rinse your face anyway. Nevertheless, I am purchasing a DE because people swear by it on this site … and frankly it looks MANLY! But I can’t imagine knocking the performance of cartridges.

And what’s the beef against gel? People have always made me laugh when they promote organic over non-organic products that have nothing to do with food. You know what’s organic? Poop! Maybe we should put poop on our face. :001_smile Generally, manufacturers aren’t going to put harmful chemicals in their products – it’s counter to protecting their reputation. So if I see chemicals in Edge gel, I’m not going to panic – if it works, why knock it? But don’t misunderstand me. I support the promotion of shaving creams and soaps over gels and foam not because gels/foams are bad but because of the cost and the benefits of exfoliating with a brush and the good ingredients of soaps and creams.

I wonder about one other thing. Why aren’t there more B&B commenters that shave in the shower? To me it’s not just the ultimate wet shave experience, but the ONLY acceptable one. You find a place for a mirror, spraying every once in a while with a bleach solution to get rid of the soap scum. There’s no need for multiple towels to steam your face. There’s no messy hair shavings that you find in the sink when you shave. It’s just so much more convenient, clean, and beneficial to your skin and your shave experience. I ...

1. wash my face first, then my hair.
  2. Then condition my hair. Whatever’s left on my hands I apply to my face, mainly Paul Mitchell conditioner.
  3. I wash my body and then rinse my face before applying the gel or shave soap. The only time I bother with oil (excellent from T&H, but I’m open to trying the homemade oils elsewhere on this site) is when I shave ATG AFTER I’ve shaved WTG. [That’s another thing. I saw this guy on youtube SUPER lather his face with shave soap. I really think this is unnecessary. You don’t have to look like an 8-year old boy who got into his dad’s Barbasol and put it on like Santa Clause to have enough lather to lubricate and soften your beard. Brush circular and ATG to make the hair stand up and that’s enough].
  4. After I shave, I rinse my hair with cold water for the same reason you do so with your face.
  5. The water jets from the shower head are stronger than the sink so they clean my razor better.

One more benefit: you don’t have to worry so much about the heat of your shave bowl because you are surrounded in heat. Shower shaving is the only way to go in my book.

And my own unsolicited advice: I wouldn’t worry so much about alcohol on the face; to the contrary I recommend it for all faces. When we shave, our faces are in a hot, moist environment – heaven for bacteria. Alcohol sterilizes the microscopic nicks on our faces. I nearly always use a conservative amount of scented lotion followed by a conservative amount of scented balm which I also use on the rest of my face. But before I use either of those and after I have shaved ATG I use an astringent (Seabreeze) that does indeed contain alcohol. It burns and cools at the same time, all the while tightening like a toner. Feels wonderful!

Sorry this post was so verbose, but I do LOVE this site! I look forward to continuing to learn from all of you.

Welcome to B&B from a fellow Floridian. Some like alcohol on their face and some like to drink it. I like them both!

Welcome to B&B!!!

Not all, but a good majority of people came to B&B looking for a better way to shave. Carts don't work for everyone, but they do work for many. No shame in using whatever works. Most of us like the ritual of making our own lather and using shave supplies that don't contain unnecessary ingredients. We like the way it used to be and even use products that have been around for over 100 years.

We all come here for the knowledge, and adapt our routines accordingly. If the shower works for you, then stick with it. I personally don't shave in the shower but there are many ways to achieve the same results. Enjoy the site and ask any questions you have, we're here to help.

Wow! Thanks everyone - I appreciate the welcome. So a quick question to the three to four that replied. Do you have a preference of bowl vs. scuttle?

Wow! Thanks everyone - I appreciate the welcome. So a quick question to the three to four that replied. Do you have a preference of bowl vs. scuttle?

I predominately face lather but I do a bowl lather after my 1st pass just to see the thick, yogurt lather and to fill the air with my shave soap of choice in the air to provide a great aroma while shaving.

WARHAWK

If you choose a scuttle, I would do a google search on Dirty Bird Scuttle. It gets a lot of love here on B&B. If I were to use a scuttle it would definitely be a Dirty Bird.

WARHAWK

I face lather 70% of the time and bowl lather 30% of the time. When I bowl lather I use a Robert Becker scuttle. I prefer the scuttle for warm lather particularly in the cooler weather. I find it easier to make lather in the scuttle because of its size and the ridges it has in the bottom.

Here is what my scuttle looks like.

$Becker scuttle.jpg

Hello and welcome. I used to travel to Jax for business in the early '90's and loved that city. Especially the San Marco and Neptune Beach areas. Great to have you here on B&B. It's a great place to learn all the finer points of wet shaving.

Lathering - I use a bowl. Never tried a scuttle, although they are intriguing to me. Go to Goodwill or a thrift store. I am cheap and I got my bowl (actually a sugar bowl) there for 63 cents, tax included.

Last edited:
Welcome Aboard: that's a fine scuttle you have there. based on your shaving tools you are well prepared. Good Luck

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B from a fellow Floridian. Some like alcohol on their face and some like to drink it. I like them both!

Some drink the same alcohol they put on their face...Aqua Velva strained through white bread and then mixed with grapefruit juice. When you get to this point...therapy is mandatory!!!

Man, again. I am grateful for the welcome. Thank you all. I'm looking up dirty bird and Robert Becker as I type.

Welcome!!! I primarily bowl lather and find that filling the bowl with hot water for several minutes is enough for me. I have been experimenting with mentholated soaps and cold water shaving as well. With our weather in Florida it is worth trying. Good luck

Top Bottom