What's new

“New formula” Haslinger?!

I do not possess enough knowledge of Haslinger to challenge your assertions, but others have been adamant that all Haslinger soaps were tallow-based until just a few years ago when they quietly introduced veg-based formulas to proactively align themselves with what they saw as the "writing on the wall" in Europe regarding animal welfare philosophy.
Certainly, I agree that they don't claim to be a Vegan company, or even tout their soaps as Vegan. How can they when they produce a sheep's milk soap?

Until a few years ago all Haslinger soaps were tallow. However, shaving soap is a very small catagory of what Haslinger offers. They have been systematically moving their products to vegetable base for years, long before the EU movement. The shaving soap line was the latest to move and I believe it took this long because the shaving soap line is their smallest product catagory. I doubt 5hey make a great deal of revenue from shaving soap and I am glad they put such great effort into getting the new formula right. They might just as easily have dropped the line altogether.

Watch out! Cella announced last year it's going "veggie."

As far as I got Cella introduced a new line that is vegetal based and with organic Aloe, it is the one with green package. The traditional old tallow base formula is still - and will be still - produced (the red package one).

Have I lost any further news?

I think the Vegan word is unfortunately creeping into discussions about soap. No one should be criticised for liking any particular category.

Unfortunately I think a lot of us members (I’m guilty) throw the word Vegan around a bit to much when it comes to non-tallow soap.

What I mean is that many, many soaps that are tallow-free are not “vegan”. They are simply vegetable based. Not all tallow-free are “vegan”.

Unfortunately I think a lot of us members (I’m guilty) throw the word Vegan around a bit to much when it comes to non-tallow soap.

What I mean is that many, many soaps that are tallow-free are not “vegan”. They are simply vegetable based. Not all tallow-free are “vegan”.
Absolutely correct.
For a product to be properly characterised a Vegan, it must, at the very least, be touted, or claimed to be by its manufacturer. Merely being vegetable-based is not sufficient. And, not all products claiming to be Vegan, meet with the approval of the Vegan Society.
Theoretically, two products could have the exact-same vegetal-base, one being Vegan and one not.
The Vegans are a philosophical, ethical, political movement, started in the 1940's by Leslie Cross, who took ethical vegetarianism to it's limits by objecting to the use of animals for food, work, hunting, vivisection, or any other use or exploitation by man.
Thus, any vegetables or vegetable product could objectionable to Vegans if grown or procured in a manner which violates their principles, such as using oxen to till or sow the fields. Even the cow manure reference earlier, which sounds far-fetched at first blush, could be objectionable to Vegans if the cows in question are "enclosed" and thus not free and wild.

Until a few years ago all Haslinger soaps were tallow. However, shaving soap is a very small catagory of what Haslinger offers. They have been systematically moving their products to vegetable base for years, long before the EU movement. The shaving soap line was the latest to move and I believe it took this long because the shaving soap line is their smallest product catagory. I doubt 5hey make a great deal of revenue from shaving soap and I am glad they put such great effort into getting the new formula right. They might just as easily have dropped the line altogether.
Yep, all there shaving soaps were, not the rest of their line. The current head honcho at haslinger commented in a message to a member at another forum that that the shaving soaps were brought into line as a nod to the founder of the company (evidently an ancestor) who it seems had some sort 'all natural, animal based' ethos himself.

For the life of me I don't understand what makes a person post something like this.

I'm OK if you like tallow-free soaps. I'm OK with you touting tallow-free soaps over tallow soaps, if you feel so inclined.

But to end with a sentence like "Might as well buy a lump of lard!!" Well, that's just ignorance, pure and simple. I'm not even sure what you are trying to imply. But just to make sure that we're on the same sheet of music, the tallow in shave soap is saponified, which means it has gone through a chemical reaction with a strong base to form (wait for it) SOAP and GLYCERIN. This is basic chemistry. Tallow reacted with lye or potash = SOAP + glycerin.

Period.

So, in point of fact, the "lard" is actually SOAP.
I'll second all of this, there's really no logical reason a soap should differ at all whether it's stearates are derived from tallowate or palm oil. Having said that haslinger is the exception; most reforumated soaps (think 3t's) did decrease in quality. This whole imbroglio was epiphenomenal; the soaps were actually reformulated in conjunction with moving to a new supplier, rather than some intrinsic quality of tallow/cost cutting shenanigans/beaurocratic interference.

So, to answer the original question - it depends. If you're hung up on minutiae, consult a rabbi.

Some general rules are:

If you are making soap that is only intended for shaving, I wouldn't worry. It really only becomes an issue if you intend to eat the soap for pleasure/benefit. Meaning, not only do you intend to eat it, you intend to enjoy the food (e.g. eating a cake or sandwich vs. swallowing medications or a spray for a sore throat). The tallow doesn't need to even be from a kosher animal. You can shave with pig tallow all you want.

The issue of kashrut comes more into play if you plan to use to soap to wash dishes (which will come into contact with food you intend to eat) and, in some instances, to do laundry that may include kitchen towels (depending on who you listen to). There are hechshers for soap but only to designate the soap as pareve (not meat or dairy). Soaps that don't use animals fats are better options for general cleaning.

Also, halal and kosher are not the same thing. Something halal is not necessarily kosher, although something that is kosher is necessarily halal. This is because kasrut laws are more stringent than halal ones. Likewise, a "halal" designation can include meat and dairy that is not kosher (e.g. camel, rabbit, shellfish).

Hope that helps.

For the life of me I don't understand what makes a person post something like this.

I'm OK if you like tallow-free soaps. I'm OK with you touting tallow-free soaps over tallow soaps, if you feel so inclined.

But to end with a sentence like "Might as well buy a lump of lard!!" Well, that's just ignorance, pure and simple. I'm not even sure what you are trying to imply. But just to make sure that we're on the same sheet of music, the tallow in shave soap is saponified, which means it has gone through a chemical reaction with a strong base to form (wait for it) SOAP and GLYCERIN. This is basic chemistry. Tallow reacted with lye or potash = SOAP + glycerin.

Period.

So, in point of fact, the "lard" is actually SOAP.

There are people who take this stuff seriously. I mean --- really seriously. Like, ULTRA seriously. Like...imma blow up my house and start over level serious...

However, you're right the response is a little over the top.

Anyone who seriously cared about this topic would have called their rabbi and not posted on Badger & Blade :)

Top Bottom