What's new

“New formula” Haslinger?!

Hello all,

Bottom Line: Maggard has a “new formula” for Haslinger Schafmilch that seems tallow free?! Is it any good?

I just recently decided to try some specific soaps after letting my wife pick me random ones for 7+yrs. The soap that made me decide I should get selective was Razorock Mudder Focker, so I decided I’d go test some tallow “classic” soaps. Haslinger was next up on the checklist but it’s apparently changed formula? Does anyone have any details on the formula changes and any impact on performance?

My knee jerk reaction is to order a declaration grooming Bison tallow formula instead, because it sounds interesting. Anyone have another recommendation?

Note: my water is harder than your water if that makes a difference.

There is a thread or several on the new formula Haslinger. At the top right of this
thread is a search box, that should give you what your looking for. I'm sure that you will get a ton of soap suggestions because there is a lot of great soaps available. Pick out a suggestion and search it to get the lowdown

In short:
The tallow-free version has been out since 2017 and it is very good.
You won’t be able to tell the difference.

B.

I heard it happened a couple of years ago, with no discernible change in packaging style, thus making the old formula difficult to spot on the N.O.S. market.
It seems like the switch to a veg base was a needless thing to do with the Schafmilch version, because it's made with sheep's milk anyway! No vegan's gonna touch it!
As to which formula is better, the world is hopelessly divided, and we'll be arguing the tallow vs non-tallow thing until the end of time!
ps. To Haslinger's credit, they did such a good job with the new formula that many report they cannot tell the difference.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I heard it happened a couple of years ago, with no discernible change in packaging style, thus making the old formula difficult to spot on the N.O.S. market.
It seems like the switch to a veg base was a needless thing to do with the Schafmilch version, because it's made with sheep's milk anyway! No vegan's gonna touch it!
As to which formula is better, the world is hopelessly divided, and we'll be arguing the tallow vs non-tallow thing until the end of time!
ps. To Haslinger's credit, they did such a good job with the new formula that many report they cannot tell the difference.

Precisely this!

Admit I haven't tried the new, stocked up on the old ... Yet I believe: there are excellent soaps on both sides of the cow, so to speak.

AA

Alright thanks guys I suppose it’s worth grabbing a puck. I’m not a tallow snob, I just suddenly decided to pay attention to soap performance and realized my top 2 soaps wife bought blindly are both tallow So I’m 7+yrs into straight razor shaving and starting from scratch really with soaps. Up until now I’ve just tweaked my sharpening to compensate for soap performance and sort of written off the soap snobbery as a new DE culture thing. Boy have I been wrong... the soap makes as much difference as any other factor for sure.

I bought sage, tallow, and talliw free sheep's milk. Better lather with the sheep's milk.
The best soaps for me are tallow free. Why tallow has a hold over some shavers mystified me. May as well buy a lump of lard!!

mmm...Lard
proxy.php

Yes the tallow free version is fortunately still very good. If you weren’t highly tuned into the tallow version recently, I.E. directly coming off using a tallow puck, you’ll never know the difference

I have never used the orginal tallow version of Haslinger. I did purchase a puck of the new vegan version, and was not overly impressed. It had plenty of slickness, but the cushion and after-shave conditioning were not that great,

If you like the tallow version of Haslinger but can no longer obtain it, you might want to try the Cold River Soap Works Schapenmelk which is supposed to be similar to the original Haslinger soap.

I did purchase a puck of the new vegan version, and was not overly impressed. It had plenty of slickness, but the cushion and after-shave conditioning were not that great,

I haven't tried the old version as well, but I want to share my personal experience as I had a similar feeling at the beginning (with the sheep milk one). Then the shave comfort and the post-shave improved a lot, becoming excellent, after I loaded more the brush and kept the foam thicker. What I mean is that I used to load the brush at a certain level that appeared good to me (like I did with other hard soap like Martin the Candre), then I added water until I got the kind of lather I like, but the performance was just good.

Since I started to load much more the brush and keep the lather a little bit thicker (less water during the lathering) the comfort increased and the post shave is much better than the only tallow soap I won (Cella with almond flavour).

I appreciate this is just a limited experience, but maybe you can try to do the same to see if it improves.

Cheers,
Giovanni

I prefer the tallow version, but ‘vegan’ schafmilch is still an excellent soap! :a29:

In general, I tend to prefer tallow based soaps to vegan based ones. The only vegan soaps in my den that come close to rivaling my elite tallow based soaps are: Caties Bubbles, Captains Choice, and Henri et Victoria. I have not tried MDC which many would also rank highly.

I boycott vegan products, but gladly use plant based only products. I don't like ideology in my soaps.
Neither do I.
"Vegan" and "plant-based" are virtually the same thing, except that one comes with ideology...which I find compromises the post-shave feel.

I’m with you guys there, I have a few “whole food plant based diet” friends but nobody “vegan” who is also a “friend”.

Do your pores actually feel the judgement and condescension soaking in post shave?

Top Bottom