What's new

New Deluxe

CFDEE20E-D675-4F09-89C3-0EB5842A86AF.jpeg
0F60307D-687E-4ACD-B011-7432173B5862.jpeg
Tried before, but no one could figure this one out. No script on the bottom. May not be the original case. Looks similar to what’s already been shown or very similar.

R

romsitsa

Hmm . Don't have a Hybrid Tech but i measure a full 5mm difference in the width of the Flat Bottom Tech guard vs my New Deluxe, ie 2.5mm each side, which sure looks consistent with the apparent difference in guardspan in the OP photo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hello,

going by my own examples and this photo, RFBs and Hybrids share the same baseplate. RFB and 17 mm De Luxes also have the same span, so imho a Hybrid and De Luxe should have the same span.
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/1939 Tech Hybrid England from Richard Snyder.jpg

Difference is the cap, Hybrids came with the earlier curved and later straight bottom Tech caps, both being thicker than New and New De Luxe caps.

And here is the rarest of them all (imho) from a recent ebay auction, a two piece British RFB BigBoy:

BB_2p.jpg

Adam

I'm confused.
The baseplate of the Hybrid Tech is not the same as that of the deluxe. It's the same as the RFB, except it doesn't have the combs.
What am I missing here?

The NEW Deluxe and NEW SC both have the same guard span, with SC having the better more rigid design! :001_rolle

SC on top, Deluxe on the bottom, both shown with the same cap with the corner tabs shaved down.

tapatalk_1476204383917.jpeg

R

romsitsa

I'm confused.
The baseplate of the Hybrid Tech is not the same as that of the deluxe. It's the same as the RFB, except it doesn't have the combs.
What am I missing here?

RFB, New, New De Luxe have the same span. Seemingly the Hybrid also has the same span, while Flat Bottom Techs have a wider span.

Adam

Here is my take in NI vs ND at least on this day. Fresh BIC blade in both, one day growth both beard and head.

First these are for me the two best handling Gillettes hands down, both perfectly balanced, handle length and grip spot on.

The New Improved has immediately more blade feel. Some may not like that but for me it makes it easier to find optimum angle and pressure. Both beard and head shave very close and adequately efficient.

The New Deluxe is much easier to zip around my head, it is considerably less bladey. On the flip side , the lesser blade feel also makes it harder to assess its optimum angle, and even more importantly easier to use improper amount of pressure. Indeed i came away from the shave with a bit of irritation on the ND side (both head and beard), none on the NI side.

If the ND were a daily driver I imagine one gets to automatic in terms of pressure, but im not convinced the ND would beat the NI in terns of efficiency under the best of conditions.

Both fine razors, my preference is clearly for the New Improved.
IMG_20190420_084413-01.jpg

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Here is my take in NI vs ND at least on this day. Fresh BIC blade in both, one day growth both beard and head.

First these are for me the two best handling Gillettes hands down, both perfectly balanced, handle length and grip spot on.

The New Improved has immediately more blade feel. Some may not like that but for me it makes it easier to find optimum angle and pressure. Both beard and head shave very close and adequately efficient.

The New Deluxe is much easier to zip around my head, it is considerably less bladey. On the flip side , the lesser blade feel also makes it harder to assess its optimum angle, and even more importantly easier to use improper amount of pressure. Indeed i came away from the shave with a bit of irritation on the ND side (both head and beard), none on the NI side.

If the ND were a daily driver I imagine one gets to automatic in terms of pressure, but im not convinced the ND would beat the NI in terns of efficiency under the best of conditions.

Both fine razors, my preference is clearly for the New Improved.View attachment 974022

Nicely done!! Thanks for the excellent comparison.

Hannah's Dad

Here's my take without doing side by side Shave Off's. New Deluxe Big Boy is the most efficient by a bit over the SC and the RFB. New Improved falls in behind those 3 with the LC dead last. Sold Both LC and New Improved as I didn't like the LC at all and the New Improved wasn't getting any shave time. So now this thread has sparked my interest and the fact I have the Shave Off thread going on and all 3 are in it I'm going to match them up. RFB vs SC and the better of the two takes on the New Deluxe Big Boy. I need to clarify which is which for myself as I don't like basing my opinion on memories of individual shaves using all 3 razor over a period of a year or so with months separating the shaves.
I look forward to that!

Here's my take without doing side by side Shave Off's. New Deluxe Big Boy is the most efficient by a bit over the SC and the RFB. New Improved falls in behind those 3 with the LC dead last. Sold Both LC and New Improved as I didn't like the LC at all and the New Improved wasn't getting any shave time. So now this thread has sparked my interest and the fact I have the Shave Off thread going on and all 3 are in it I'm going to match them up. RFB vs SC and the better of the two takes on the New Deluxe Big Boy. I need to clarify which is which for myself as I don't like basing my opinion on memories of individual shaves using all 3 razor over a period of a year or so with months separating the shaves.

Might be interesting if you could do a blinded shave off since these are so similar.

I am very much enjoying this post. I have a #44 RFB, Hybrid Tech and a New SC, which I believe to be the most comparable to the razors mentioned in this thread. Someone please tell me what differences I should see in what I currently own vs New Standard, New Improved and New Deluxe? I realize this could be asking a lot. I have a always loved the look of the Belmont, Criterion, Richwood, Bostonian, Aristocrat and Algonquin (Standard set in either silver or gold). I am now searching for one of these razors/sets, I prefer a SC vs LC. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Once again, great topic Dan.

First of all, the New Standard is a New Deluxe. So there are two razors you are inviting about rather than three.

Compared with the RFB New, the Deluxe had more blade feel and is slightly more efficient. The NI has even more blade feel and a slightly larger gap, so it is the most aggressive of the three, in my experience.

R

romsitsa

New Standard is a New Improved. It was morphed into the Criterion in the New De Luxe range.

Adam

Hannah's Dad

Just wait till we start discussing the ‘Raised New Flat Deluxe Standard Aristocrat Jr #27’.

Top Bottom