What's new

New current production razor recommendations

Fatip piccolo SEwith the gentile plats is much better than the DE89 and very affordable for most people. Unlike the DE89that is zamak, the piccolo is made of solid brass that has been plated. it is made in italy and gives a close and very smooth and mild feeling shave every time. Afaik it is the best performance for price razor I have ever used.

The tatara masamune and feather asd2 are also spectacularly good mild yet effective razors but they are a lot more expensive also.

The Feather AS-D2 was the first double edge razor that I purchased and I found it to be very mild. It's a beautiful razor and is very well built, though on the pricey side. So mild, I ended up selling it and bought a more aggressive razor.

+1! The AS/D2 is about as mild as it gets IMO! It is terrific if paired with a Feather blade. :thumbup:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
My first introduction was the Merkur 38C, mild-med, well balanced with some heft. It really helped me let the razor do the work, very user friendly. A handsome razor to boot IMO.

I'm going with technique. That just takes time to develop. The EJ is a very mild razor and a good one to learn on. Other mild razors you could try:
Timeless bronze SB
Timeless 0.68
RR Mamba 0.7 (IIRC - not sure about the gap number) This is the more aggressive version. The milder version might be too mild for you.

It's also worth it to experiment with different blades. That's not expensive and can make a huge difference. Visit the blade forum.

Finally, you could consider an adjustable like the Merkur Progress that would allow you to experiment.

I would suggest an adjustable razor. I have not used any modern adjustables but there are some affordable ones out there such as the Parker Variant and the Merkur Progress of which I have not tried either one. I did try a Merkur Futur clone(the Qshave) and I did not like it and did not like the way the blade was held in it. Just didn't seem tight. As mentioned above there is the Rockwell 6S or 6C that come with different plates to adjust the aggressiveness of the razor. I have been eyeballing one of those but I have a Slim Adjustable and it gives me the best shaves of any of the razors I have and the Fatboy is second in my book. I have Van der Hagen TTO razor that is quite mild and a nice razor for the money, around $20. I don't like my Merkur 34c but can't come to part with it since it was the razor that got me into DE shaving. Another mild razor and really cheap is the Wilkinson Sword Classic, it is plastic with a plastic over Aluminum handle. If you want to try something really mild and does a good job of shaving and comes with 5 blades(that are one of my favorite blades) all for a whopping $10. The razor is just too mild for my liking but the shaves feels like vintage Tech.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
You will get darn near as many recommendations as there are members. ;)

That's because picking your razor is a very personal task. You won't know for sure unless you shave with the razor and like it.

The RazoRock BBS, Mamba 70 and GC68-P are great razors - smooth while maintaining moderate efficiency.

The Henson @Shavemd mentioned is also a very decent razor, just too lightweight (aluminum) for my preference.

If you decide to take a leap of faith, the Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS - Fatip Open Comb Slant) is definitely in my top tier of razors and gets used often. Coupled with a Bolzano or Silver Star blade, the FOCS Rocks! :)

Have fun with the journey.

Just my opinion. :)

A lot depends on what you want to spend, honestly. I can recommend a Timeless .68 in either stainless steel or titanium as a smooth, mild shaver. It's the first razor I've found that I can shave daily with.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Let me just remind everyone that I'm finding an EJ too aggressive. I need something very gentle.

I highly advise Feather Popular. It is the mildest razor I'we ever tried. If I had a rough shave the day after I use Feather Popular in order to not batter my face. Gillette Platinum and Gillete Silver Blue works perfect with Popular.

I secondly recommend Weishi 93XX. The same razor blades works very well.

Both are cheap razor, easy to find.

Cheers,

Hands down, the Razorock stainless BBS razor .
Other options would be :
RR GC .68-P
Karve B guard
Tatara Masamune

I would not suggest RR Mamba 70,because it lets you to attack with an angle that the blade will scrape the skin .

While Feather AS-D2 works efficiently only when coupled with Feather blades and has an extremely narrow range regarding angle of attack.

The stainless BBS is very smooth ,almost providing a
“ghostly” shave (no blade feel at all ) and coupled with a sharp
blade does not lack efficiency.
This razor just loves to shave
against the grain and it does that with unearthly smoothness.

Last edited:
I would recommend a Rockwell 6s.
It's adjustable down to very mild and might grow with your progress um to higher levels
And its very forgiving, works with mist blades.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 8 mit Tapatalk

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I preface my answer saying that I LOVE my EJ DE89 razor and can easily get a superb BBS out of it. But, of course, that is just me. :001_smile

If you desire a Double Edge shaver that is a tad more aggressive I suggest the Merkur 34C HD or 42C 1904, or also the 38C Barber Pole if you prefer a longer handle.

If you desire to stick with Edwin Jagger I suggest the magnificent 3ONE6.

Just a curveball suggestion: try the fantastically mild Broman pivoting SE with an ultra sharp Feather DE blade snapped in half. Great combo for sensitive skin.

Top Bottom