What's new

New Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic Arrived

When the Chubby 2 synthetic was introduced in 2014, it was available in a variety of Limited Edition colored handles. However, if I recall correctly, butterscotch was not among the options. Thereafter, the Chubby 2 synthetic was available in the traditional Simpson cream. Recently however, Simpson released a run of the Chubby 2 synthetic in its famous butterscotch.

There are a number of excellent synthetics on the market, including many which carry very reasonable prices. For me though, the Chubby 2 synthetic has no equal. The fibers are exceedingly soft. The dense knot has great backbone and gives one the synthetic version of that "wall of badger" feeling that the regular Chubby 2 is known for. And, of course, one gets the same high quality handle in the synthetic as in the Chubby 2 badger brushes. I like the Chubby 2 synthetic so much that I have two in the traditional Simpson cream. When I saw this brush was available in butterscotch, I knew I had to add one to my rotation.

Here is the brush in the box, the moment it arrived. The approximate knot dimensions are a diamter of 28.50+mm, and a loft of 53mm.

proxy.php

With the many other synthetic brushes I tried, the new knot did not change with use. However, the Chubby 2 knot, although synthetic, does relax, loosen up a bit, and splay better with use. Here is a picture of the brand new knot, followed by a picture of the knot after one shave. This synthetic knot does "break in" in a subtle way.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Lastly, here is the new, unused brush next to a frequently used traditional Simpson cream synthetic.

proxy.php

None of my three Chubby 2 synthetics has a glue bump. I noticed that many of the synthetics on the market, including those with Plisson type fibers, usually have a substantial glue bump. A glue bump adds backbone but reduces the effective loft of the brush. The Chubby 2 synthetic does not need a glue bump for backbone, relying instead on its density and loft for that backbone. Moreover, with no glue bump, one gets the full benefit of the Chubby 2's stated loft.

The Chubby 2 is the only synthetic brush that has survived in my rotation, and it gets increasingly frequent use.

When the Chubby 2 synthetic was introduced in 2014, it was available in a variety of Limited Edition colored handles. However, if I recall correctly, butterscotch was not among the options. Thereafter, the Chubby 2 synthetic was available in the traditional Simpson cream. Recently however, Simpson released a run of the Chubby 2 synthetic in its famous butterscotch.

There are a number of excellent synthetics on the market, including many which carry very reasonable prices. For me though, the Chubby 2 synthetic has no equal. The fibers are exceedingly soft. The dense knot has great backbone and gives one the synthetic version of that "wall of badger" feeling that the regular Chubby 2 is known for. And, of course, one gets the same high quality handle in the synthetic as in the Chubby 2 badger brushes. I like the Chubby 2 synthetic so much that I have two in the traditional Simpson cream. When I saw this brush was available in butterscotch, I knew I had to add one to my rotation.

Here is the brush in the box, the moment it arrived. The approximate knot dimensions are a diamter of 28.50+mm, and a loft of 53mm.

proxy.php

With the many other synthetic brushes I tried, the new knot did not change with use. However, the Chubby 2 knot, although synthetic, does relax, loosen up a bit, and splay better with use. Here is a picture of the brand new knot, followed by a picture of the knot after one shave. This synthetic knot does "break in" in a subtle way.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Lastly, here is the new, unused brush next to a frequently used traditional Simpson cream synthetic.

proxy.php

None of my three Chubby 2 synthetics has a glue bump. I noticed that many of the synthetics on the market, including those with Plisson type fibers, usually have a substantial glue bump. A glue bump adds backbone but reduces the effective loft of the brush. The Chubby 2 synthetic does not need a glue bump for backbone, relying instead on its density and loft for that backbone. Moreover, with no glue bump, one gets the full benefit of the Chubby 2's stated loft.

The Chubby 2 is the only synthetic brush that has survived in my rotation, and it gets increasingly frequent use.

I always seem to miss the boat on this. Where does one get these limited edition Simpson brushes, such as the butterscotch handle? What's the secret?

Lovely brush!! This would be my personal choice in a synthetic (although I am 90% badger here).

If I Had ONLY Known!
I love my Chubby 2 Synth so much that every time I use one of my old favorite brushes, I used it for one shave and go straight back to the C2S. Due to it's top spot, I've been on the edge of buying another one for a few months now. If I had seen it was available in butterscotch, I'd have one in my bathroom right now.
:blink:

It looks great. I'm still thinking about buying the butterscotch. I have the Chubby 2 synthetic in the cream handle and it's all because of you Ricardo. You just mentioned on a thread I was following that your favorite synthetic was a Chubby 2. I had never heard of it. So I looked into it and bought one right away. I love the brush.

I always seem to miss the boat on this. Where does one get these limited edition Simpson brushes, such as the butterscotch handle? What's the secret?

There are two ways to get a Simpson Limited Edition. Some of the LE's are listed on Simpson's web site and you can order from there. Other LE's however, never make it to the website. Instead, Simpson will post a picture of them on Facebook and Twitter. When you see a brush you like on Facebook or Twitter, you email Simpson and inquire about purchasing one. So, if you're really interested in a Simpson LE, it's best to take a quick look at their Facebook and Twitter pages on a regular basis. The butterscotch Chubby 2 synthetic was posted on Facebook on June 28, and you can email Simpson to find out if there are still some available.

Last edited:
If I Had ONLY Known!
I love my Chubby 2 Synth so much that every time I use one of my old favorite brushes, I used it for one shave and go straight back to the C2S. Due to it's top spot, I've been on the edge of buying another one for a few months now. If I had seen it was available in butterscotch, I'd have one in my bathroom right now.
:blink:

The butterscotch Chubby 2 synthetic was posted on Simpson's Facebook page on June 28. You may want to email Simpson and inquire if any are available.

I sent an e-mail to them and they said they were available but there is a bit of a back log. About 2 weeks. The butterscotch Chubby 2 is going for $106.12.

There are two ways to get a Simpson Limited Edition. Some of the LE's are listed on Simpson's web site and you can order from there. Other LE's however, never make it to the website. Instead, Simpson will post a picture of them on Facebook and Twitter. When you see a brush you like on Facebook or Twitter, you email Simpson and inquire about purchasing one. So, if you're really interested in a Simpson LE, it's best to take a quick look at their Facebook and Twitter pages on a regular basis. The butterscotch Chubby 2 synthetic was posted on Facebook on June 28, and you can email Simpson to find out if there are still some available.

Thank you!

Good review and special thank you for the side by side photo of the butterscotch and cream. It was very interesting to see the difference in break in so clearly.

Top Bottom