What's new

New Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic Arrived

Contacted them on the 18th;sent payment on the 20th; have brush in hand(Maryland) today on the 29th! Wonder what I'll be shaving with....

marty

Had my first shave with the Chubby 2 Synth and came away very impressed.

It has the backbone you would expect w/ any Chubby brush and the synth fibers are very different than my others( Satin Tip Finest, RazoRock Monster, & Stirling Kong-I think the last two are the same,just branded differently.)

Being a Chubby, it needed more product on its maiden voyage, but I did have enough lather for 5 passes total with 2-3 passes left in the brush itself.

The face feel was soft and firm w/o being scritchy. The fibers did splay w/ some pressure and after adding a touch more water, I had some of the creamiest lather around.In fact, the brush seemed to be somewhat softer on subsequent passes ( 3 face, 2 head) than the initial pass.

I have been faceturbating for the pass 6 hours and that is something I haven't done in a while. Granted, it could be because of the 3 razor method I used for this shave, but I have done that before and did not get the results I did on this shave. of course, I will use the same setup tomorrow to see what happens.

All in all, buying a Simpson's Chubby 2 for $113 with its iconic handle is a win-win. It might just be a synth, but it is definitely worth it.

marty

Very nice looking brush. But this reinforces what my impression of Simpson has been: beautiful looking handles, but arrogantly high prices. If I could buy just Simpson handles and have either Larry from whipped dog or WSP provide the knots, I'd be a happy man.

I don't particularly like Simpson's price gouging, but it really is the best synthetic fiber I've used. The Zenith synthetic is a near runner up though and about $70 cheaper.
I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on the Zenith synthetic both on its own & how it compares with your Simpson.

There are two ways to get a Simpson Limited Edition. Some of the LE's are listed on Simpson's web site and you can order from there. Other LE's however, never make it to the website. Instead, Simpson will post a picture of them on Facebook and Twitter. When you see a brush you like on Facebook or Twitter, you email Simpson and inquire about purchasing one. So, if you're really interested in a Simpson LE, it's best to take a quick look at their Facebook and Twitter pages on a regular basis. The butterscotch Chubby 2 synthetic was posted on Facebook on June 28, and you can email Simpson to find out if there are still some available.

It never occurred to me to look at Simpson's Facebook page ... but I will be monitoring it now.

Thanks for the tip.

I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on the Zenith synthetic both on its own & how it compares with your Simpson.

Well, I used both again this weekend/morning to refresh myself.

The Simpsons is hands down the softest. Rather than trying to get it to open up and flow a bit, I just used the tips and was very happy with the lather.

The Zenith actually has a bit of prickliness if you try to use more than the tips. However, the backbone and flow through are perfect with this knot. Tips are probably the same prickliness as a plissoft, but because it's got more backbone, you'll feel it on the Zenith first.

So I guess my final summation is that both require you to use the tips. The CH2S will hog lather, but the tips are the softest you will ever use. The Zenith is perfect in every other aspect, but you will feel the tips every once in awhile.

Kind of wish I had a Coral or Jade CH2S custom lofted another 3-5 mm higher....that would be a joy for me to use every time.

Well, I used both again this weekend/morning to refresh myself.

The Simpsons is hands down the softest. Rather than trying to get it to open up and flow a bit, I just used the tips and was very happy with the lather.

The Zenith actually has a bit of prickliness if you try to use more than the tips. However, the backbone and flow through are perfect with this knot. Tips are probably the same prickliness as a plissoft, but because it's got more backbone, you'll feel it on the Zenith first.

So I guess my final summation is that both require you to use the tips. The CH2S will hog lather, but the tips are the softest you will ever use. The Zenith is perfect in every other aspect, but you will feel the tips every once in awhile.

Kind of wish I had a Coral or Jade CH2S custom lofted another 3-5 mm higher....that would be a joy for me to use every time.
Thanks that is very helpful. A friend who has a ton of brushes says that a Zenith synth knot is what Omega was aiming at with their Hi-Brush...but they missed. I have a Plissoft and enjoy it but I want something more substantial.

Mine arrived today. Absolutely beautiful. The knot is a couple millimeters higher in loft than my cream version and has a bit more splay out of the box than my cream has now after 7 months of (almost) daily use.

Top Bottom