What's new

New budget Simpson synthetic: Trafalgar

proxy.php

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
There are two takes:

Will it hurt the sales of the more expensive others?

Or make you want to buy your first Simpson, possibly moving on to the higher end ones?

I got a brush yesterday and I want one of these now! o_O

AA
I think it's a great idea to get people like me who would usually not spend $150 or more on a shaving brush to have a chance to own a Simpson brush. I'm mostly a $15-$20 price range synthetic buyer. However, there is one line of brushes that go for about $175 that even a cheap person like me would buy, and those are the Brad Sears line of brushes. They say "art is subjective", and for me the Brad Sears brushes are absolutely beautiful.

I have now used my T3 every day for a week, this thing is a monster! True lathering machine. Fast and easy. I do apply lather by mostly "face painting", just to have that in mind.

I have now used my T3 every day for a week, this thing is a monster! True lathering machine. Fast and easy. I do apply lather by mostly "face painting", just to have that in mind.

The Trafalgar is significantly lower priced than the CH2 synthetic....the hair on it is termed as 'sovereign'.
I would love to know the differences in hair between the two...at some point.
So anyone who has used both, please chime in.

The Trafalgar is significantly lower priced than the CH2 synthetic....the hair on it is termed as 'sovereign'.
I would love to know the differences in hair between the two...at some point.
So anyone who has used both, please chime in.

I have both. The Chubby is is the softest and most dense synthetic brush that I've ever used, so it's very unique. In terms of softness, the Trafalgar feels closer to other synthetics I've used, such as Plissoft, Yaqi Mew Brown, EJ STF, or Kent Infinity. Still very soft, just not Chubby soft. The Trafalgar feels different than these brushes due to it's loft, but in terms of softness, it's similar.

I got the T2 two weeks ago and love it. Wish the T3's would come back in to stock so I can get one of them too. Keeping my eyes open but cant seem to find it anywhere! Thanks for all of the good info from everyone.

We were caught on the hop a bit in terms of the reaction to these brushes & production has struggled to meet the demand.

Thankfully we are addressing this as a priority as we understand there are waiting lists in many regions.

Apologies to anyone looking to purchase, we hope you will have the opportunity to get your hands on the new Trafalgar soon! :0)

Last edited:
People want a good brush...at a reasonable price.
As opposed to paying $500 for better customer service.
Who would've thought?

I have the T1 as I only face lather and like smaller brushes. I've been using Edwin Jagger synthetics 21mm and 23mm. I love them and have used them exclusively for years until recently buying the T1.

Here's the Simpson T1 23mm, EJ 21mm and EJ 23mm side by side for size comparison.

1583934544030.png

My understanding of Simpson brushes is densely packed is their hall mark and the T1 is no exception. That and the low loft makes for a stiff brush that will splay somewhat with a bit of effort. The tips are nice and soft, no complaints there. It's supposed to be an affordable synthetic brush and it is that. One would expect good fibres and good construction from a Company like Simpson and it has that.

Do I like it? Well it works well but I like more splay as a face latherer. The Edwin Jaggers are perfect for me in that regard. The T1 with its shorter loft and denser knot feels radically different. It may well open up a bit with use, time will tell. Synthetics obviously don't split or soften with use but they do tend to loosen up after a time. I certainly don't regret the purchase.

Received my T2 in Monday’s mail. First use yesterday and it is fantastic at making lather, but it shed three bristles. Used it again today and my lather was even better with no lost bristles. Quality is what you would expect from a Simpson and the T2 doesn’t disappoint. The bristles are soft and seem to work best for painting lather as is mentioned in their instructions, So far I have been bowl lathering so will need to see how it does for face lathering.

Hoping the T3 gets back in stock soon as I feel another brush or two in my future.

Top Bottom