What's new

New Brush Handle

I took the plunge and picked up some turning blanks. I am going to try a handle with a 20mm knot and I am using B&W Ebony. I want to have a smooth semi gloss finish. Can someone suggest what to use for a finish. Of course I need something to protect it from water.
I am also going to try TGN finest with extra hair for this
Thanks

Ebony is a hard, oily tropical hardwood. Personally, I'd use tung oil. I get mine from Don McIvor. If you use Cooncatbob's favorite - spar varnish and linseed oil, 1/2 and 1/2, make sure you wipe it down with Acetone or Alcohol before the first coat - the oil in the wood creates problems with varnish drying. Good luck, and post pictures!

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a piece of ebony as well. Can you use CA glue on Ebony? I have a nice piece that I would like to make a brush out of. I do have tung oil as well, but this was going to be my first try with CA glue.

You need to get finish on the B&W Ebony as soon as you finish sanding it, this wood is very prone to checking/cracking.

How does TGN measure knot loft. Is it from the bottom of the plug? So I would want a 10 mm deep hole for a 20mm x 60mm.

They really don't,is a ballpark figure.The loft is the distance from the top of the handle to the tips of the hair.
Don't bore the hole until you have the knot in hand,they varie alot.
Good grade hair is hair,the loft is everything.JMO

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a piece of ebony as well. Can you use CA glue on Ebony? I have a nice piece that I would like to make a brush out of. I do have tung oil as well, but this was going to be my first try with CA glue.

CA would work on ebony, but an oil finish looks better, IMO.

I have heard of using Tang Oil before. Anyone else have experience with it?

Tung oil is a natural nut oil that works great with oily tropical hardwoods. It leave a nice matt finish that can easily be touched up in the future by just wiping it on - don't have to sand and all that stuff to make it like new again. Pure tung oil is available from Don McIvor.

I recently turned a handle of African Blackwood, which has similar properties. I used Minwax Tung Oil Finish, which is really an oil/poly blend. It is easy to apply and renew as it dulls, and seems to work well with the blackwood.

I recently turned a handle of African Blackwood, which has similar properties. I used Minwax Tung Oil Finish, which is really an oil/poly blend. It is easy to apply and renew as it dulls, and seems to work well with the blackwood.

Minwax oil and Danish oil are both excellent finishes. Another possibility is Birchwood Casey gunstock oil finish. I have used this a lot on knife handles that end up in the dishwasher. With pure tung oil, you just keep putting it on until the wood won't take any more. The old oil finish saying is, "once a day for a week, once a week for a month, and once a month for a year." Should work for pure oil finishes on brushes and razor scales. Not for oil/varnish finishes, however. I also agree with Spindlecone that polish and carnuba wax is a good way to go - easy to add more later. I usually polish my wood on a buffing wheel with no compound before finishing.

Last edited:
3 to 5 coats - apply with a rag while the blank is spinning on the lathe - low speed. When you have built up enough finish, sand smooth on the lathe. You can polish with a wheel to get a really great shine. Be careful not to burn throught the finish, particularly around any sharp edges. You can google CA pen finish if you need more help - most pen turners use CA. I think there is a tutorial on the TGN site. There was a recent post here on CA finish.

I turned my handle last night pictures soon. I used a oil varnish combo from woodcraft. Needs a few more coats but its getting close. Thanks for the help everyone

Top Bottom