What's new

New Badger Brush Smell

I just tried a hot water and vinegar soak followed by a scrubbing with mild shampoo. Seems to have done the trick.

Most of the descriptions about the smell of a new brush are dead bagder, wet dog, ect.
But did any of your new brushes smell like smoked badger? I have a Kent BK4 that came with that special smell :lol:

I haven't had nearly as many brushes as some of the gents on these boards but whenever I do acquire a stinky one I simply lather it along with the one I am using and after a few days, (the last one only 1 day) it was ready for use. Only problem there is waiting to actually use it but its all part of acquiring a new brush. :001_tt1:

I use a 15 minute soak in 20 mule team and water about 1 to 5 mix. I follow with a 5 minute soak in a White Vinegar solution 1 to 5 mix. After a good rince I rub in some of my wifes best Hair Conditioner. 15 minutes latter I wash it out and let it dry. Wow what a differance. Try it on a old Boar brush if you don't think this works....

I just make a few "practice lathers" with it, that usually makes it bearable (although,I must say, neither the Shavemac nor the Rooney I purchased recently had much of that noxious odor at all).

I like the new badger smell.:mellow:

I'm glad that I'm not the only one. I actually look forward to breaking in a new brush by actually using it, not shampooing it like a rug. The "fine aroma" is part of the experience. I liken it to a new car smell and at the same time, the nose of wine.
The best so far has been my new Plisson. I've used it 6 times and there's still a delicate mushroom earth tone lingering behind a hint of leathery cedarbox badger nuance, very pleasing.

Top Bottom