What's new

never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
This gets filed under the heading of "It’s A Tough Job, But Someone Has To Do It". ;) :)

To satisfy the compulsions of BOSC SCIENCE, I bought a Lambda Athena and a Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB to see how they would compare to each other, and also to the razors that currently hold the Alpha Big Dog Razor title.

This is still a work in progress as I intend to keep shaving with both of these top tier razors.

Process:
  • Whip up the lather in my Captain's Choice Copper bowl
  • Splash water on my face
  • My usual steep angle 3-passes plus a touch-up pass to use the diagonal and oblique strokes required to shave my wiry, chaotic and swirling beard
  • Light rinse between passes
  • Final rinse and dry, then apply aftershave
  • Disassemble razor after each use, rinse thoroughly, dry
  • Flip blade after every shave, air dry blade
Of note: I don't like skinny and/or heavy handles. For this evaluation, I used either Doug’s @Rosseforp's 80mm x 14mm x 25g GTC handle or the 80mm x 15mm TiBam Titanium Radiator handle, depending on which handle felt the best on the razor in use.

Also of note: my preferred shaving angle is steep. Both the Athena and the Wolfman work beautifully with a steep angle.

Razors evaluated:
  • Lambda Athena (used with 80mm TiBam Radiator Ti Handle)
  • 20230520_135654~2.jpg

• Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB (used with 80mm TiBam Radiator Ti Handle)
  • 20230521_112729~2.jpg
As most of you know, I rate my razors on overall effectiveness.

Between the Athena and the Ti WR2 1.25 SB:
Lambda Athena:
  • "Sneaky" efficient
  • Highly smooth
  • Medium nimble & maneuverable
  • Medium/highly predictable (caveat: some folks have reported issues with the sharp corners of the baseplate - an issue that I could replicare, but that did not manifest itself to any great degree during my shaves)
The Athena is an excellent razor that is Highly Effective. There is next to no blade feel. For the best results, it is a razor that requires the user to use very little to no pressure. I especially like the way my face/skin feels after shaving with the Athena.

Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB
  • Highly efficient
  • Medium/highly smooth
  • Medium/highly nimble and maneuverable
  • Medium/highly predictable
The Wolfman is an excellent razor that is Highly Effective. It is more efficient than the Athena and more nimble & maneuverable but has more blade feel. The Wolfman is very straightforward in use. It is capable of scary good results, as long as you respect the razor.

Both razors provide very similar results in use. Both razors can be used every day, They are both incredible razors and worthy of consideration. They need different techniques and do have a different "feel", so any decision ultimately boils down to personal preference. To simply: If you don't care for blade feel and want a razor that almost provides a "Zen-like" shaving experience, choose the Athena. If you don't mind blade feel, and want a razor that will effortlessly slice through anything you throw at it, choose the Ti WR2 1.25 SB.

I really like both razors - a lot.

How do the Lambda Athena and the Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB stack up against the DE Alpha Big Dog Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird SB and the Overall and AC Blade Alpha Big Dog Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB? As good as the Athena and the Ti WR2 are, they do not dethrone the Ti Blackbird nor the Ti Vector. The Ti Blackbird is better at navigating the nooks and crannies of my face. It is at least as efficient, as smooth, more nimble & maneuverable and (for me) more predictable. The Ti Vector improves on all of these attributes even more.

Having said that, these are not huge differences. If the Ti Blackbird and Ti Vector did not exist, could I be happy with the Athena and/or the Ti WR2 as my Daily Driver? Yes to both. Forced to choose one? Glad I don't have to do that. Pending additional shaves and consideration, both the Lambda Athena and Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB razors will be categorized as DE Alpha Big Dog Honorable Mention.

More to follow. ;) :)

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
This gets filed under the heading of "It’s A Tough Job, But Someone Has To Do It". ;) :)

To satisfy the compulsions of BOSC SCIENCE, I bought a Lambda Athena and a Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB to see how they would compare to each other, and also to the razors that currently hold the Alpha Big Dog Razor title.

This is still a work in progress as I intend to keep shaving with both of these top tier razors.

Process:
  • My usual steep angle 3-passes plus a touch-up pass to use the diagonal and oblique strokes required to shave my wiry, chaotic and swirling beard
Of note: I don't like skinny and/or heavy handles. For this evaluation, I used either Doug’s @Rosseforp's 80mm x 14mm x 25g GTC handle or the 80mm x 15mm TiBam Titanium Radiator handle, depending on which handle felt the best on the razor in use.

Also of note: my preferred shaving angle is steep. Both the Athena and the Wolfman work beautifully with a steep angle.

Razors evaluated:

Lambda Athena:
  • "Sneaky" efficient
  • Highly smooth
  • Medium/highly predictable (caveat: some folks have reported issues with the sharp corners of the baseplate - an issue that I could replicare, but that did not manifest itself to any great degree during my shaves)
The Athena is an excellent razor that is Highly Effective. There is next to no blade feel. For the best results, it is a razor that requires the user to use very little to no pressure. I especially like the way my face/skin feels after shaving with the Athena.

Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB
  • Highly efficient
  • Medium/highly smooth
The Wolfman is an excellent razor that is Highly Effective. It is more efficient than the Athena and more nimble & maneuverable but has more blade feel. The Wolfman is very straightforward in use. It is capable of scary good results, as long as you respect the razor.

Both razors provide very similar results in use. Both razors can be used every day, They are both incredible razors and worthy of consideration. They need different techniques and do have a different "feel", so any decision ultimately boils down to personal preference. To simply: If you don't care for blade feel and want a razor that almost provides a "Zen-like" shaving experience, choose the Athena. If you don't mind blade feel, and want a razor that will effortlessly slice through anything you throw at it, choose the Ti WR2 1.25 SB.

How do the Lambda Athena and the Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB stack up against the DE Alpha Big Dog Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird SB and the Overall and AC Blade Alpha Big Dog Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB? As good as the Athena and the Ti WR2 are, they do not dethrone the Ti Blackbird nor the Ti Vector. The Ti Blackbird is better at navigating the nooks and crannies of my face. It is at least as efficient, as smooth, more nimble & maneuverable and (for me) more predictable. The Ti Vector improves on all of these attributes even more.

Having said that, these are not huge differences. If the Ti Blackbird and Ti Vector did not exist, could I be happy with the Athena and/or the Ti WR2 as my Daily Driver? Yes to both. Forced to choose one? Glad I don't have to do that. Pending additional shaves and consideration, both the Lambda Athena and Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB razors will be categorized as DE Alpha Big Dog Honorable Mention.

Stellar comparison, David!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 140 of 142 = 98.6%
Knights of the Veg Table
MdC Monday
Modern May 2023
20230522_140329~2.jpg

Razor: Lambda Athena (TiBam Radiator Titanium Handle)
Blade: Perma-Sharp (2)
20230522_140419~2.jpg

Brush: Paladin Chief B&B 2023 Contributors Brush (Paladin 26mm Two-band Synthetic Semi-Bulb/Hybrid knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper

Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal
20230522_140519~2.jpg

Fragrance: Belcam Volatile EdT Spray

The Athena is ever so smooth and effective! :001_wub:

Loving the Paladin Chief B&B 2023 Contributors Brush! :001_wub:

Superb DFS+ shave! :cool:

Process:

Razors evaluated:

Lambda Athena:
  • "Sneaky" efficient
  • Highly smooth

Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB
  • Highly efficient
  • Medium/highly smooth

This was amazing! Thank you for the fantastic comparison David!

If you had to pick one and sell the other between WR2 and Athena, which is the keeper? I just looked and saw that the Athena is roughly $250 shipped where ad the WR2 is close to $400 just for the head? Different materials and all that but that’s is one heck of a price difference if. It’s are amazing shaves, to you of course.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thank you for the comparison!

You mentioned that the Athena required little to no pressure, how about the WR2?

The Athena is a bronze razor? Will it gain a patina finish?
Thank you for asking this question.

The blade feel on WR2 1.25 SB communicates very quickly that you better use little or no pressure. I should have elaborated more on that point.

The Athena has little to no blade feel, so that communication isn't there. Hence, I wanted to point it out.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
If you had to pick one and sell the other between WR2 and Athena, which is the keeper? I just looked and saw that the Athena is roughly $250 shipped where ad the WR2 is close to $400 just for the head? Different materials and all that but that’s is one heck of a price difference if. It’s are amazing shaves, to you of course.
We all have a decision matrix - even if it's only in your mind - where we weight different criteria of a prospective purchase.

Some questions:
  • How much blade feel do you find acceptable?
  • Are you willing to round off the baseplate corners of the Athena if you find them to be an issue (the corners are there, but I do not find them to be an issue in use - as long as you use little to no pressure)?
  • How much do you weigh the price difference in your decision?
There are also smaller gap Wolfman Ti WR2 razors to consider if the blade gap on the WR2 1.25 SB is of concern. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 141 of 143 = 98.6%
Knights of the Veg Table
Modern May 2023
20230522_140329~2.jpg

Razor: Lambda Athena (TiBam Radiator Titanium Handle)
Blade: Perma-Sharp (3)
20230522_140419~2.jpg

Brush: Paladin Chief B&B 2023 Contributors Brush (Paladin 26mm Two-band Synthetic Semi-Bulb/Hybrid knot)

20230522_140519~2.jpg

Really nice shave today. Same kit (and pics) as yesterday. Top tier performance and results! :001_wub:

Superb DFS++ shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 142 of 144 = 98.6%
Knights of the Veg Table
Modern May 2023
Wolfman Owners Club
Wolfman Wednesday
20230524_195311~2.jpg

Razor: Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Perma-Sharp (4)
20230524_195403~2.jpg

20230522_140519~2.jpg

Rocking the Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB with Doug’s GTC 25g handle and a Perma-Sharp blade. Absolutely top tier shave! :001_wub:

The rest of this outstanding kit remains the same as yesterday! :)

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
@never-stop-learning ...I suspect he'll get around to it. Smiles.

@thombrogan ...I'll wait.

b/r

ON_1
I will. David's SRCB is sitting next to yours giving me dirty looks too.

Been moving bunches of stuff around getting the Garage/Man-Cave ready for the epoxy floor treatment. A guy is supposed to be coming by today to pick out the colors and schedule the work. Fingers crossed. I still need to put up a few more shelfs too.
The Tuff Shed is finished except for some interior paint and hanging the speakers.

~doug~

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 143 of 145 = 98.6%
Blackland Brotherhood
Blackland Thursday
Knights of the Veg Table
Modern May 2023
20230525_133908~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Perma-Sharp (5)
20230525_133955~2.jpg

20230522_140519~2.jpg

Went with the Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird SB with Doug’s GTC 25g handle and a Perma-Sharp blade for today's shave. The Ti Blackbird consistently delivers beautiful, top tier performance and results! :001_wub:

The rest of the kit remains the same as yesterday! :)

Top Bottom