• Overall #1: Blackland Razors Stainless Vector SB & OC Plates, Ti Handle
  • AC Blade: Blackland Razors Stainless Vector SB & OC Plates, Ti Handle
  • AC Blade: Colonial Razors The General, Ti Handle
  • DE (Current): Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird
  • DE (Vintage): Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid
  • GEM (Current): Blackland Razors Sabre L2
  • GEM (Vintage): GEM MMOC & BMMOC
  • SE using a DE Blade (Vintage): Jones Shake-Sharp v1
I'm pondering adding the GEM Featherweight Deluxe to the GEM (Vintage) list. I love shaving with the Deluxe and it never fails to deliver a smooth, irritation free DFS or better (mostly better, DFS+ to DFS++) shave.

It was great to see your list, David.

What, no injector?

Occasionally I think about trying my GEM/E-R razors. I have good examples of most of the ones I deemed important to buy when I was buying vintage razors. I have none of the modern examples.

My highest razor category is Daily Driver. There are some razors which I deem very good but yet not comfortable enough for daily use. There are plenty not even in the running for Daily Driver contender.

Daily Drivers
  • Schick open to clean E2
  • FOCS
  • Sailor (RSMC 2021)
  • Taiga
  • Muramasa
I think I've bumped the ATT CM1 down a notch. It's not quite efficient enough to stay in the Daily Driver category, but boy is it smooth! The General might be a Daily Driver (and so might be my SS DLC Hawk) but I've not used either recently enough to be sure of them.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It was great to see your list, David.

What, no injector?

Occasionally I think about trying my GEM/E-R razors. I have good examples of most of the ones I deemed important to buy when I was buying vintage razors. I have none of the modern examples.

My highest razor category is Daily Driver. There are some razors which I deem very good but yet not comfortable enough for daily use. There are plenty not even in the running for Daily Driver contender.

Daily Drivers
  • Schick open to clean E2
  • FOCS
  • Sailor (RSMC 2021)
  • Taiga
  • Muramasa
I think I've bumped the ATT CM1 down a notch. It's not quite efficient enough to stay in the Daily Driver category, but boy is it smooth! The General might be a Daily Driver (and so might be my SS DLC Hawk) but I've not used either recently enough to be sure of them.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thank you, Jim. :)

I want Injectors to work better on my Face, Skin and Beard.....but they don't. :(

I've tried and tried, but they don't EFFECTIVELY get through my chaotic and wiry beard. As other razors have raised my expectations, the Injectors have not kept up.

Touchup razor? Yup. Works good for touchups after shaving with my Feather AC Japanese Straight and Folding razors. But the Vector does the same task much better.

Quick no drama CCS? Yup. Works good for that. But I can get a DFS++ from the Vector or The General with the same effort.

The closest I've gotten with an Injector is with my old war horse Schick Type E.
20191204_165243~3.jpg

I wonder if the new Supply Adjustable might have what it takes? 🤔

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thank you, Jim. :)

I want Injectors to work better on my Face, Skin and Beard.....but they don't. :(

I've tried and tried, but they don't EFFECTIVELY get through my chaotic and wiry beard. As other razors have raised my expectations, the Injectors have not kept up.

Touchup razor? Yup. Works good for touchups after shaving with my Feather AC Japanese Straight and Folding razors. But the Vector does the same task much better.

Quick no drama CCS? Yup. Works good for that. But I can get a DFS++ from the Vector or The General with the same effort.

The closest I've gotten with an Injector is with my old war horse Schick Type E.
View attachment 1460611

I wonder if the new Supply Adjustable might have what it takes? 🤔

At least you gave them a good try.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 140 of 143 = 97.9%
Blackland Brotherhood
MdC Monday
Modern May 2022
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance (SASA)
20220522_230636~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Sabre L2
Blade: Personna GEM (7)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Invasion (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: RazoRock Unlabeled Project Aftershave Splash
Fragrance: Classic Match Vault

The Sabre L2 is efficient, smooth and effective. My favorite GEM blade razor! :thumbup:
20220522_230730~2.jpg

The Wild West Brushworks Invasion (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan) is one of my top brushes. Excellent performance! :thumbup:

Martin de Candre Nature is as good as soap gets. Exceptional performance! :thumbup:
20220522_230819~2.jpg

RazoRock Unlabeled Project Aftershave Splash feels great on my skin, smells great and is quite refreshing. Sprayed on Classic Match Vault before going out for the day. Nice fresh musky scent. Very satisfying! :thumbup:

Superb shave! :cool:

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 141 of 144 = 97.9%
Modern May 2022
20220524_085559~2.jpg

Razor: Charcoal Goods Brass Gen 3 Level 3
Blade: Feather (3 and retired)
Brush: AP Shave Co White (26mm G5C Fan)
Lather: RazoRock Black
Aftershave: RazoRock Black

The Charcoal Goods Gen 3 Level 3 razor is a wonderful razor. Efficient, Smooth and Effective. The CG G3 L3 resides in my Big Dogs Category! :thumbup:
20220524_085707~2.jpg

Have been wanting to try the AP Shave G5C Fan for some time. Grabbed a "Scratch & Dent" (that has no obvious defects I can see) White handle, a G5C Fan and had Andrew set the knot. For a total of $30 (including shipping), I used my new G5C brush today! Don't want to overstate my comments after the first shave, so I'm going to use this brush all week and comment as I go. First impressions? Quite favorable! :thumbup:

RazoRock Black is a very good performing, and very cost effective, Italian Fougère soap! :thumbup:
20220524_085803~2.jpg

The matching RazoRock Black Aftershave feels great on my skin, smells great and is quite refreshing. Sprayed on Classic Match Vault before going out for the day. Fresh musky scent with notes of bergamot and sandalwood. Very satisfying! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 142 of 145 = 97.9%
Blackland Brotherhood
Modern May 2022
20220524_205713~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird
Blade: Perma-Sharp (2)

The Ti Blackbird is right in the sweet spot of what I look for in a DE razor. An absolute joy to use with exceptional quality and performance! My favorite current DE razor! :thumbup:
20220524_205817~2.jpg

Second shave with the AP Shave G5C Fan. My first impressions were quite favorable. My second shave, even more so! :thumbup:
20220524_085803~2.jpg

Same Soap, Aftershave and EdT Spray as yesterday. Very satisfying! :thumbup:

365 Shaves in 2022: 141 of 144 = 97.9%
Modern May 2022
View attachment 1461421
Razor: Charcoal Goods Brass Gen 3 Level 3
Blade: Feather (3 and retired)

The Charcoal Goods Gen 3 Level 3 razor is a wonderful razor. Efficient, Smooth and Effective. The CG G3 L3 resides in my Big Dogs Category! :thumbup:
View attachment 1461422
Have been wanting to try the AP Shave G5C Fan for some time. Grabbed a "Scratch & Dent" (that has no obvious defects I can see) White handle, a G5C Fan and had Andrew set the knot. For a total of $30 (including shipping), I used my new G5C brush today! Don't want to overstate my comments after the first shave, so I'm going to use this brush all week and comment as I go. First impressions? Quite favorable! :thumbup:

RazoRock Black is a very good performing, and very cost effective, Italian Fougère soap! :thumbup:
View attachment 1461423
The matching RazoRock Black Aftershave feels great on my skin, smells great and is quite refreshing. Sprayed on Classic Match Vault before going out for the day. Fresh musky scent with notes of bergamot and sandalwood. Very satisfying! :thumbup:

I have just been noticing the Charcoal Goods Gen 3 Level 3 recently. Would you say that it matches the efficiency of razors like the Blackbird, R41, and Karve CB with SB-G plate? I'm finding razors like those to be a good fit for me, and I am enjoying brass more and more... Thanks for any thoughts you might have by way of comparison.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have just been noticing the Charcoal Goods Gen 3 Level 3 recently. Would you say that it matches the efficiency of razors like the Blackbird, R41, and Karve CB with SB-G plate? I'm finding razors like those to be a good fit for me, and I am enjoying brass more and more... Thanks for any thoughts you might have by way of comparison.
My personal "Razor Rating Equation" is:

efficient + smooth + nimble + maneuverable = effective

The Ti Blackbird SB is my #1 Current DE. It is a highly effective razor. The Stainless Blackbird is marginally less effective, but not much. The Brass Blackbird is in the middle. :)

The Karve Brass SB-G is a highly effective razor and an awesome value. I really like the way the SB-G shaves.

The Charcoal Goods Gen 3 Level 3 is "deceptively efficient". What do I mean by that? The CG G3 L3 is highly efficient and still quite smooth. You don't get a ton of blade feel. Use it steep and resist the urge to apply too much pressure.

The R41 is highly efficient, but loses smoothness points to the others on your list.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with any of the Blackbirds, the Karve Brass SB-G or the Charcoal Goods Gen 3 Level 3. All of them are in my Big Dogs Category with the Ti Blackbird as the DE Alpha Big Dog.

Hope this helps.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 143 of 146 = 97.9%
Modern May 2022
20220525_223744~2.jpg

Razor: Rex Envoy
Blade: Perma-Sharp (3)

The Envoy get high marks on the efficient, smooth, nimble and maneuverable attributes. A highly effective razor that is in the upper third of the Big Dogs Category. The Envoy could easily be a daily driver, and a very satisfying one at that! :thumbup:
20220525_223827~2.jpg

My favorable impressions of the AP Shave G5C Fan continue to grow. A very impressive brush! :thumbup:
20220524_085803~2.jpg

My personal "Razor Rating Equation" is:

efficient + smooth + nimble + maneuverable = effective

The Ti Blackbird SB is my #1 Current DE. It is a highly effective razor. The Stainless Blackbird is marginally less effective, but not much. The Brass Blackbird is in the middle. :)

The Karve Brass SB-G is a highly effective razor and an awesome value. I really like the way the SB-G shaves.

The Charcoal Goods Gen 3 Level 3 is "deceptively efficient". What do I mean by that? The CG G3 L3 is highly efficient and still quite smooth. You don't get a ton of blade feel. Use it steep and resist the urge to apply too much pressure.

The R41 is highly efficient, but loses smoothness points to the others on your list.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with any of the Blackbirds, the Karve Brass SB-G or the Charcoal Goods Gen 3 Level 3. All of them are in my Big Dogs Category with the Ti Blackbird as the DE Alpha Big Dog.

Hope this helps.
Thanks! It really does help. Your description of the CG G3 L3 is very insightful! I am surprised that it doesn't seem to offer a ton of blade feel. IIRC, it has the blade gap of an E plate and the exposure of a G plate in Karve Christopher Bradley nomenclature.

I will have to do a side by side with the brass and stainless Blackbirds to see if I can tell a difference, but then again, one is SB and the other OC... so probably not a fair comparison.

Thanks again for the reflections.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks! It really does help. Your description of the CG G3 L3 is very insightful! I am surprised that it doesn't seem to offer a ton of blade feel. IIRC, it has the blade gap of an E plate and the exposure of a G plate in Karve Christopher Bradley nomenclature.

I will have to do a side by side with the brass and stainless Blackbirds to see if I can tell a difference, but then again, one is SB and the other OC... so probably not a fair comparison.

Thanks again for the reflections.
Thank you for your kind feedback. Much appreciated. :)

I ride the CG G3 L3 steep. One thing for sure, the G1 L3 and G2 L3 have a lot more blade feel than the G3 L3. :)

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20220526 Shave #2
365 Shaves in 2022: 144 of 146 = 98.6%
Modern May 2022
20220526_215226~2.jpg

Razor: Feather SS Artist Club Japanese Straight Razor
Blade: Feather Artist Club ProSoft Guard (2)

Since I shaved early this morning, I decided to do a quick touch-up shave before bed with the Feather Japanese AC Straight Razor. Good chance to get some practice in with my Japanese Straight! :thumbup:

Same Brush, Soap, Aftershave and EdT Spray as this morning. Very satisfying and relaxing! :thumbup:

Nice shave! :cool:

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 145 of 147 = 98.6%
Clubman Friday
Fatip Friday
Modern May 2022
20220527_151320~2.jpg

Razor: Joris Classic - Thujawood and Palladium
Blade: German Bolzano (4)
Brush: Omega EVO
Lather: WSP Formula T Tobacco
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Fragrance: Cuba Orange EdT Spray

The Joris Classic - Thujawood and Palladium provides an elegant option for Fatip Friday. As with my other Fatip made heads, it is efficient, smooth and effective! :thumbup:
20220527_151420~2.jpg

The Omega EVO is an outstanding brush and one of my favorite brushes - of any type! :thumbup:

WSP Formula T Tobacco runs with the best soaps in my Den. Easy to lather. Exceptional performance. Great face feel! :thumbup:
20220527_151515~2.jpg

Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum Aftershave provides a wonderful compliment to my shave. Followed with the very nice Cuba Orange EdT Spray for a great finish. Happy Shaves, Happy Days! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 146 of 148 = 98.6%
Modern May 2022
20220527_233325~2.jpg

Razor: Tatara Masamune Nodachi SB (TiBam Antique Ti Handle)
Blade: Personna Med Prep (2)
Brush: Epsilon Butterscotch Chubby (26mm STF Synthetic)
Lather: WSP Formula T Tobacco
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Fragrance: Cuba Orange EdT Spray

The Tatara Masamune Nodachi SB pairs wonderfully with the Personna Med Prep blade. The TiBam handle is a larger diameter than the stock Masamune handle. It provides better control and is more comfortable. The combination of the Masamune Nodachi plus the Ti Bam Antique handle elevates the performance of the Tatara Masamune Nodachi SB to Big Dog status. This overall combination of Head, Handle and Blade produced superb results! :thumbup:
20220527_233557~2.jpg

The Epsilon Butterscotch Chubby (26mm STF Synthetic) is a really cool brush. Very enjoyable in all respects! :thumbup:
20220527_151515~2.jpg

Dear David,

I have been wondering to ask how do you keep your rotation of razors going when you have the finest of the finest (I absolutely love your journal in the richness of stunning pictures of your daily setup) in your collection (better yet I think you own just about any razor under the sun). The main reason I ask is that I find myself going back and forth on buying another razor because the Fatip is giving me stellar performance so why bother? There seems to be more opportunity for me in searching and using different blades.

I am not necessarily on the lookout for a super high end razor like Timeless. Have been looking at vintage (Tech and New SC) also for birth year purposes (but all I can find are super speeds or a beat up black beauty) but never pulled the trigger yet because of the why-bother assessment.

So I have a (very) little rotation going between two Fatips and a KCG. Performance wise all comfortable and BBS-ish results. And fits neatly in my storage cabinet together with my brushes and soaps.

So far my short list has been a FOCS, a Rocca, a New and a 1975 Super Speed.I know it is an enabling question 😅. And your collection did not build overnight as well. I just value your insight(s).

Thanks,

Guido

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Guido, my friend, thank you very much for your kindness. You are too kind. :)

I'll answer your questions individually: :)
I have been wondering to ask how do you keep your rotation of razors going when you have the finest of the finest (I absolutely love your journal in the richness of stunning pictures of your daily setup) in your collection (better yet I think you own just about any razor under the sun).
After Vintage April and Modern May, these are the razors I plan to keep very handy:
  • Blackland Razors Vector SB (Ti Handle)
  • Colonial Razors The General V2 (Ti Handle)
  • Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird
  • Rex Envoy
  • ATT Mixed Metal CH1 (Ti Handle)
  • Tatara Masamune Nodachi SB (Ti Handle)
  • Gillette Pre-War Tech (Ti Handle)
  • Blackland Razors Sabre L2
  • GEM Featherweight Deluxe
  • Swing DE (Sweden) (Ti Handle)
  • Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB (Ti Handle)
  • Barbasol Floating Head
  • Charcoal Goods Gen 2 Level 2 and Gen 3 Level 3
  • Fatip, Joris and Schöne for Fatip Friday
Plus whatever else strikes my fancy. Which is pretty much how I decide what to shave with on any particular day. ;) :)

The main reason I ask is that I find myself going back and forth on buying another razor because the Fatip is giving me stellar performance so why bother? There seems to be more opportunity for me in searching and using different blades.
If you are satisfied with what you have, there is no reason to worry about it and complicate things. Be happy. :)

If I had to settle on one (and only one) razor, it would be the Blackland Razors Vector SB or the Colonial Razors The General V2. Both AC blade razors.

Heck, I could be happy with just a Gillette Pre-War Tech. :)
I am not necessarily on the lookout for a super high end razor like Timeless. Have been looking at vintage (Tech and New SC) also for birth year purposes (but all I can find are super speeds or a beat up black beauty) but never pulled the trigger yet because of the why-bother assessment.
Where are you located? Are you able to get shipments from the US? There are many great razors that regularly show up on the B&B BST. Also at the auction site.
So I have a (very) little rotation going between two Fatips and a KCG. Performance wise all comfortable and BBS-ish results. And fits neatly in my storage cabinet together with my brushes and soaps.
Two Fatips and a KCJ sounds like a fine rotation to me! :cool:
So far my short list has been a FOCS, a Rocca, a New and a 1975 Super Speed.I know it is an enabling question 😅. And your collection did not build overnight as well. I just value your insight(s).
The Mühle Rocca is a fine razor. I really like the R95 V4:
20211125_125251.jpg

And everyone should have a FOCS. ;)

Hope this helps. :)

Dear David,

This is more than I could bargain for. Thank you so much for your extended reply. Very insightful and very informative. Much, much appreciated.

I am located in the Netherlands, Europe and yes US shipments are available in my country so that should not be an obstacle. I have eyed the BST pages indeed and I read somewhere that if I move up to B&B contributor there are more exclusive pages available. I have visited auction sites more than I bargained for :blink:, but as you said I think the little voice inside expressed I am already happy, otherwise I would have gotten additional razors (excluding the fact that I entered GRUME in May).

And that's it! I am going to be happy with what I have and overcomplicate things.

All in all I think there is only one razor left to get someday: a FOCS (Piccolo - nickel or gold have not decided yet) :001_wub:.

Maybe I will get one for my birthday in July - if I can make the LOTH see that it is absolutely necessary - hihi :a2:. “David said that everyone should have one dear” 😂

Thanks again David. Maybe we should add RAD Coach to your signature!

Cheers,

Guido.

Guido, my friend, thank you very much for your kindness. You are too kind. :)

I'll answer your questions individually: :)

After Vintage April and Modern May, these are the razors I plan to keep very handy:
  • Blackland Razors Vector SB (Ti Handle)
  • Colonial Razors The General V2 (Ti Handle)
  • Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird
  • Rex Envoy
  • ATT Mixed Metal CH1 (Ti Handle)
  • Tatara Masamune Nodachi SB (Ti Handle)
  • Gillette Pre-War Tech (Ti Handle)
  • Blackland Razors Sabre L2
  • GEM Featherweight Deluxe
  • Swing DE (Sweden) (Ti Handle)
  • Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB (Ti Handle)
  • Barbasol Floating Head
  • Charcoal Goods Gen 2 Level 2 and Gen 3 Level 3
  • Fatip, Joris and Schöne for Fatip Friday
By the way: that IS a stunning collection of razors. I am surprised you are able to shave in the morning.

I would have a hard time choosing - even “let’s go for the Titanium handle” gives more than one option!

Cheers,

Guido

Top Bottom