What's new

Never Say Never...

I did not expect to return to carts this soon, but here I am...

I switched to DE about 8 years ago. I was using the Mach 3, never had the problems people complain of and was, and still am, an everyday shaver. I switched solely because of cost. Although I have fallen somewhat into the acquisition trap, I kept things reasonable and am working my way though a small stash of soap and cream.

So why am I back to carts? Blood, mostly ... and it's my own. A couple of years ago I started developing essential tremor. I'm in my early 60s, reasonably healthy and fit, but I have an occasional tremor that acts up. It also seems to be more noticeable after a long workout (I'm a distance runner and usually run in the morning before I shower/shave). For the most part this is little more than an annoyance, but it is getting a little more intrusive. In the last few months I've have several nicks that I think are attributable to the tremor.

After 3 days in a row with random cuts (very rare to cut myself at all prior to about Dec), I decided to do something. I found 3 gillette sensor disposables in my shaving drawer and pulled them out. I was leaving for 2 weeks work travel and packed them and a brushless cream (Trader Joe, I find it very protective). I went the 2 weeks without any problems with my shaves, but at least 3 days shaving with shaky hands. I decided to start researching carts. The disposable were fine, I just wanted to do better.

Based on reviews (and probably marketing) I sent off for the Harry's free sample ($3 shipping) and picked up a Mach 3 Sensitive to test. Maybe sometime I'll do a review, but for now suffice to say that with these razors I can shave without worrying about slashing my face.

If the condition worsens, I'm sure I can figure out how to cut myself with carts, but for now, I'm good. When it gets that bad, I'll start looking at electric. In the meantime, both razors work fine and I still have a mild DE and use it on "steady" mornings. I'm also staying away from bashing other shaving systems. You never know...

Sorry about your diagnosis. Better to get a good, safe shave with a Sensor than a dicey one with a DE.

Be well and shave with what works for you, that's the name of the game. Feel free to post your reviews if you're inclined. Best wishes.

ditto from me. I use the DE because it's fun for me, but my brother had to stop due to blood clotting medication.

I am sorry to hear of your tremors. Please don't feel the need to stop visiting because of your switch. I can see why you would need to switch. The whole allure of cartridges is the ease of use. Ease is why the whole DE craze started with King Gillette. No stropping was the advertising mantra for his new fangled razor. Cartridges are merely an evolution of this business model. The money is made on the blades. Pretty much always has been.

I'm sorry for your tremor, my father is in similar situation, he has Parkinson's disease but without tremor, his problem is that his hands are not so maneuverable so he goes to barber every 2 weeks.
If you like wet shaving and creams/soaps you can always shave with an electric suitable for wet shave. :001_smile
Actually it is not as bad as it seems, it's still a razor, it cuts, you can use cream and hey it's 21st century, electrics and carts now are what safety razors were in 1901.
It's a good investment and will last a lifetime if taken cared properly. My friend uses one almost 6 years without a problem. Actually he has cheaper shaving than I do with DE.

@August West I always think about de blades as some sort of cartridges, and actually they're are prototype of modern cartridges.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
You're still wet shaving! I hope you stay in our community. My thoughts and prayers are with you brother. Thank you for your honest openness, and I for one am going to take the wisdom of your words not to bash other shaving systems because we all don't know.

I am sorry to hear about your condition & here is hoping it is treatable and does not progress. Shave with what works for you that is all that matters.

Hate to revive an old thread like this. But: Have you tried something like the Rockwell 6C/S's R1 plate? It would be hard to cut yourself with this thing.

Never heard of it. I use(d) a Weber, the older version with pliers-like handle and a Lord for travel. Never looked for anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About the same. I'm still ok using up about 60 de blades, but I have some shaky mornings when I reach for the cart razor.

When I passed 70 I sometimes get a tremor when I shave an area where I tend to fear a cut. (Right under the nose) for example; seems to get worse with birthdays. If I use a very mild razor, I find, I am not so likely to do so. I guess I anticipate a lesser cut.
Ron

About the same. I'm still ok using up about 60 de blades, but I have some shaky mornings when I reach for the cart razor.

My father is workingout with a stress ball, maybe that could help if your hand strengthens a little bit

Top Bottom