What's new

Network TV

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Has anyone noticed that the "seasons" on network TV have went from about 3 months during the summer for reruns and the new "season" being the rest of the year to about 3-4 months of the new season and then the rest of the time it goes downhill?

Already the network shows such as Magnum P.I., Lethal Weapon, Last Man Standing, etc. have been replaced by the crap reality shows like Big Brother, Hell's Bathroom with Chef Ramsey, and others that they don't have to pay script writers to do.

I wonder if they are putting their money and effort into doing the streaming Netflix, Hulu, and such. I don't have the internet speed or the data allowance to stream movies or shows on the dang computer.

You may as well watch something on YouTube. Oh, wait...then you get back to internet speed and data allowance.

First off, if you're reduced to watching the new Magnum PI or Lethal Weapon shows - you'd be better off just reading a book. Seriously, have some respect for your brain :)

That said, back in the day TV seasons were somewhere around 20-22 episodes, they'd just spread those over 40 weeks with lots of reruns, pre-emptions for sports events and political stuff, Christmas break, etc. Now they just burn straight them them all, figuring most people will wait to bingewatch them anyways.

Non-network shows tend to follow the British pattern of shorter seasons, but episodes are more cinematic and can't be pumped out every week, they might take the full year to make 10 or 12 episodes and then they get released to streaming all at once.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
First off, if you're reduced to watching the new Magnum PI or Lethal Weapon shows - you'd be better off just reading a book. Seriously, have some respect for your brain :)

That said, back in the day TV seasons were somewhere around 20-22 episodes, they'd just spread those over 40 weeks with lots of reruns, pre-emptions for sports events and political stuff, Christmas break, etc. Now they just burn straight them them all, figuring most people will wait to bingewatch them anyways.

Non-network shows tend to follow the British pattern of shorter seasons, but episodes are more cinematic and can't be pumped out every week, they might take the full year to make 10 or 12 episodes and then they get released to streaming all at once.

I'm finishing up the last of three novels I brought with me, and have three more on the way. :)

Mom just got the basic package so there are no movie channels available. I'm surprised she didn't just put up an antenna that only gets local network channels like we had when I was a kid.

The remakes of the old shows don't hold a candle to the originals, and they keep killing off the main characters over squabbles. I've been watching INSP that shows old westerns and such, but they show reruns of reruns that they have aired several times in a few months. I've "heard" that the reality shows are being broadcast more because the networks don't want to pay what the script writers want to do a scripted show.

I'm finishing up the last of three novels I brought with me, and have three more on the way. :)

Mom just got the basic package so there are no movie channels available. I'm surprised she didn't just put up an antenna that only gets local network channels like we had when I was a kid.

The remakes of the old shows don't hold a candle to the originals, and they keep killing off the main characters over squabbles. I've been watching INSP that shows old westerns and such, but they show reruns of reruns that they have aired several times in a few months. I've "heard" that the reality shows are being broadcast more because the networks don't want to pay what the script writers want to do a scripted show.

This, although the post below me is correct as well. A big part is cheaper "sets" effects, cgi, or lack therof. The budgets are so low and the return is huge. Think about survivor- tickets to an island....boom a set! They are like a variation of game show budgets!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Only time I watch the network TV is when a major sporting event is on (Super Bowl, World Series). Otherwise it’s all crap IMO.

I seldom watch network TV anymore. Most of it is the same thing commented about in the Old Spice commercial thread in AS. I'm not in the demographic they pander to anymore.

I'm old enough to remember when a season consisted of 36 (or, more) episodes, and a 12-week summer replacement! Think Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Ozzie and Harriett. Geez I'm old!!!!

Top Bottom