What's new

Amazon's Fire TV Stick

I pre-ordered this device last month and it showed up at my house yesterday. Advertised as simple plug and play to turn a basic television with a hdmi port into a "smart" tv able to connect to the internet with applications to allow viewing Amazon Prime, Neflix and various other providers.
I am not allowed to post a review of it on Amazon as the device is not officially released yet so I thought I would post my thoughts and experiences with it so far.
It will not work thru my Denon Audio Receiver, there was no claim that this would work but I was hoping to use my sound system. The Fire Stick had to be connected directly to the hdmi port on the tv itself.
Once connected to the wireless network it downloaded the latest software for the device which took almost 20 minutes, I do have a N speed router.
All that comes loaded is Amazon Prime application, Netflix was downloaded in about 4 minutes and installed, I watched a documentary to check the quality of the picture and the speed of the response of the Netflix app, on my blue-ray player it is dreadfully slow.
Sound and picture seems to be very good. The remote is very basic but does work without issue.
The only thing Amazon fails to tell you is that they suggest using the usb power adapter to ensure "quality" functioning of the device which adds one more cable leading to the television.

I do not know how the Fire Stick compares to Google Chromecast or Roku Stick as I do not have these items.

You can probably use the digital audio out from your TV to your Denon to utilize the receiver's better sound.

I personally have my computer hooked up to my TV with an HDMI cable so I can use the full power of my computer when using Netflix, etc. I have had a lot of experience with "smart" TVs and Blu-ray/DVD players, and I have yet to see one that works as well as it should. Their apps always seem to be substandard and not even as good as some smart phone apps that do the same thing.

Top Bottom