What's new

Need quick help with knot size on an ER 40

Long story short as possible...I'm restoring/bettering some brushes. My plan was to epoxy all the new knots this coming weekend. One is an Ever-Ready and my dad got jealous and gave me his old Ever-Ready to restore.

I'm a noob, so what I've done with the other brushes to make sure I order the right knot size is cut the hairs and use a bench grinder to get the old knots flat and close to the handle. That way I can get a good measurement of the hole size.

I need to get a new knot for my dad's brush ordered tomorrow from TGN to make sure it's here in time for next weekend. Hey, I'm cheap. I want to do them all at once and not waste my epoxy mix tube thing.

I'm 99% sure it will take a 20mm knot. Like I stated, it's an Ever-Ready and says "H40" on the bottom.

proxy.php

Thanks for the help.

Either 18mm or 20mm. Do you have a ruler? If you order the 18mm and it is too small you can set the knot a little deeper to fill the opening better. On the other hand if the 20mm doesn't fit, you can increase the bore opening with some sandpaper.

Last edited:
Got a ruler. May have to "eyeball" and guess it.
The bench grinder is at dad's. No time tonight. Got church tomorrow, birthday lunch after, then coach basketball, then supper, then church again, etc.

Dad's "H40" looks identical (except colors) to an Ever-Ready I'm restoring that does take a 20mm knot...

proxy.php

Sound like you need to get your priorities straight,:lol1:

Agreed.

So, I went to Sunday school and skipped the sermon.
I did add an extra $5 to my offering. Being Presbyterian has it's perks.
Ran home and drilled out the knot before meeting the wife and kid and my parents for lunch.

proxy.php

Top Bottom