What's new

Need info on this Joseph Elliot

Hey all!

My mother and I have been going through some old family stuff my dad kept that has been passed down through the generations. She gave me this SE razor of his and doesn't know anything other than "he had it before we were married."
Unfortunately he's been gone for over a decade and I don't know where to go for info. I might even get it restored if it's worth my time and money. I'm still keeping the blade regardless

All I know is that it is a Joseph Elliot blade stamped "RANGOON" on one side and "MADE IN SHEFFIELD, ENG" on the other. My guess is either a 5/8 or a 6/8 blade.

It's still sharp as hell and only has two dings in it. He kept it in the box on a shelf so I have no idea how long it has been sitting. I did a quick polish of it and took a closer look at the pin, which is slightly bent in the middle. Obviously the handle is broken but the material isn't missing and fits quite snug.

I took some photos for a general idea.

IMG_20190628_153701.jpg

IMG_20190628_153641.jpg

IMG_20190628_153511.jpg

IMG_20190628_153535.jpg

IMG_20190628_155600.jpg

So two questions:
1. Any info on this or where I could look?
2. What would you say about restoring it?

Late 1800s. Mid 1870s/1880s imo. It needs new scales and a fresh edge put on it but it should be quite nice once it gets those things. It doesn't need a pro restoration or anything. I would probably just polish it and peen it into new scales.

Looks like a 6/8" to me
I'd agree. Don't restore it. Just rescale it and hone if you want to use it. If you just want to keep it, I'd oil it lightly and put it in a nice box with the original scales sat next to it.

Also, just a heads up SE is usually used to refer to single edge safety razors. We call these "straights".

It looks like the stamp says “Sheffield Eng”, so I suspect it was made after 1891. I can’t tell from the pictures if the scales are bone or celluloid. I’m guessing that they are celluloid. Either way, the razor needs to be rescaled and honed to be usable.

Sheffield razors are well known for their quality steel and are sought after razors, with a strong following. They’re not expensive to buy, but do go for a premium over many other razors.

Also, I think I would consider it a family heirloom as it was your father’s razor. I would rescale it, polish it, hone it and use it.

This is why I decided to join B&B! There's always something to learn on the forums. Good to know some of the lingo! I stand corrected on the terminology.

The scales are 100% celluloid andas you can see unfortunately the end gave way and broke. Great idea to keep the scales in the box. I was able to find something about the stamps identifying the time it was manufactured. Somewhere after 1890, so good call on that! That actually gives me a better idea of it's history and it's history in my family.

I'll have to check into getting it rescaled and worked on. I might even get my technique (and nerves) down to give it a shave haha. I'm either the 3rd or 4th generation to possess the razor so I have a feeling I should take care of it.

Congratulations on having a family heirloom and one that you can pass down to future generations.

Millions of men, likely hundreds of millions of men shaved with straight razors for hundreds of years. There is no reason to think you can't use a straight. You will have to take care, but one has to take care crossing a street. Watch a few instructional videos and try it out. The first few shaves are a bit scary, but after a few I suspect you'll wonder why you ever thought it was difficult.

Again, congratulations on this heirloom.

Top Bottom