What's new

Need info on buying pocket knife

I have been carrying one of the smaller Benchmade models for quite a few years now. I like the quality of the steel in the blades plus the locking action of the axis lock. Now it is one of the small Griptillian models, which can be found in a variety of colors and fairly reasonable on e bay. I just bought one about a month ago. I had an older model 710 I think, which basically wore out.

Case still makes good knives, but I have trouble finding a blade shape I like in the size I like and they lack the blade lock.

I just got an Opineal and must say it is one of the easiest sharpening kinves I have found. They are cheap enough to try modifying the shape of both blade and handle if desired. I actually got one of the oyster knives and ground the blade so it could be sharpened. I like the shape of the blade and handle on this model and time will tell if it will hold an edge.

Last edited:
Kershaw Ken Onion Vapor. All metal with lock blade. Nice and slim. I use mine all the time. Cuts anything and I also use it for cooking. After a trip, I just chuck it in boiling water for a couple of minutes to clean, re-oil, and good to go. I love this knife.

Buck still makes great knives, especially if you go more expensive in their line. My current favourites in my collection are mostly Spyderco's, top of that list being my Titanium Spyderco Sage, beautiful knife.

I have been carrying one of the smaller Benchmade models for quite a few years now. I like the quality of the steel in the blades plus the locking action of the axis lock. Now it is one of the small Griptillian models, which can be found in a variety of colors and fairly reasonable on e bay. I just bought one about a month ago. I had an older model 710 I think, which basically wore out.

Case still makes good knives, but I have trouble finding a blade shape I like in the size I like and they lack the blade lock.

I just got an Opineal and must say it is one of the easiest sharpening kinves I have found. They are cheap enough to try modifying the shape of both blade and handle if desired. I actually got one of the oyster knives and ground the blade so it could be sharpened. I like the shape of the blade and handle on this model and time will tell if it will hold an edge.

+1 on the Axis locking system. My EDC is a Benchmade Mini Barrage and I love it. Best locking system of any knife I've ever owned in terms of reliability and ease of use. I also love the assist for opening the blade. Thing pops open like an automatic.

What makes a good pocket knife has not changed since the Roman days.

Roman folding knife and reconstruction, Roman knives did not come with a life time guarantee.

$Roman_pocket_knife_Roman_Gellep_Germany.jpg

It should be sharp, hold a edge and feel comfortable in the hand.

Be sure to check out the knife laws in your state or whatever jurisdiction you're under, some consider a spring assist knife an illegal weapon.
^This. I spent a good time researching UK knife laws because of the following:
The maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is 4 years in prison and a fine of £5,000.

^This. I spent a good time researching UK knife laws because of the following:
The maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is 4 years in prison and a fine of £5,000.

You poor UK'ers, along with the aussies, you guys have some strict knife laws! If the ops in the USA, he probably doesn't have to worry. If you're in Canada, apparently spring assisted knives are frowned upon, but even that seems to be a grey area (torsion spring ok, as long as you have to use force to start it?? Push button not okay?). I've had friends bring back spring assisted knives in their carry-on with no problem, I guess you can't really tell until you try to open it.

You really gotta think about where you're using it, and use some common sense. If you're camping, or hiking in the bush and you have a knife on you, an officer probably won't care. How are us Canadians gonna fight off a polar bear without a good knife?? :001_tongu However, if you're out at a night club or in a mall, he might think otherwise. Common sense is your friend people! :)

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
good tips on researching the laws first. In the US each state is different, and it even boils down to each city setting their own city ordinance.

+ 1 on that last part above. Florida is a good example. The state is relaxed; not so some cities and counties in the state.

Went with what I knew from way back when and bought a Schrade. Yes, I know, Schrade is made in China. Well, not in 1973-1979. I got a Schrade+ Uncle Henry (885UH) with serial number R6781. I don't think the China products even have a serial number. It is new old stock in the original box with all original papers. Should serve me well. Paid less for it than the original market price in 1977!:thumbup:

I'd tend to agree, if you've got a legitimate reason for carrying here, you're not near a nightclub or in a highly populated area, and of course you're not carrying a prohibited or controlled knife, you aren't too likely to be hassled.

It doesn't change the stupidity of some of the laws given that most incidents occur with kitchen implements, not these types of knives.

Knife laws are pretty lax here, for European standards (the surrounding countries are more strict). Nevertheless, I would go for a Swiss army knife. They are sturdy, and the soldier knife has a very useful set of tools. I would stay away from the more complicated, and bulkier, Swiss knives.

Went with what I knew from way back when and bought a Schrade. Yes, I know, Schrade is made in China. Well, not in 1973-1979. I got a Schrade+ Uncle Henry (885UH) with serial number R6781. I don't think the China products even have a serial number. It is new old stock in the original box with all original papers. Should serve me well. Paid less for it than the original market price in 1977!:thumbup:
What, no pictures? Sounds like you got a good one, congrats.

I have ALLOT of pocket knives but my main rotation consists of Case Copperlock, Queen Cutlery Copperhead, Chris Reeve Mnandi, Victorinox Cadet or a Mini Griptilian. You definitely can't go wrong with Case and the large Copperlock is great, it's like a scaled down, thin pocket version of the classic Buck 110.

What makes a good pocket knife has not changed since the Roman days.

Roman folding knife and reconstruction, Roman knives did not come with a life time guarantee.

View attachment 432640

It should be sharp, hold a edge and feel comfortable in the hand.

Yes, that looks like it would be a good knife. Many French peasant knives still look like this.

Top Bottom