What's new

Need help with gluing English Leather plastic cap to insert wood cover cap

I recently bought a vintage bottle of Mem English Leather All Purpose Lotion. The only problem is that the glue on the plastic cap that's inserted into the wooden cap has come loose.

First I have to find a cap that can seal the bottle in the interim, unless I plug the hole with plastic wrap and seal the ring tightly with more wrap. Then I have to scrape the glue off of this plastic cap and the inside of the wooden cap and find a strong enough glue/cement to hold the two together.

Does anyone have suggestions for the perfect glue? Krazy Glue and Gorilla Glue aren't strong enough. What's the best way to loosen and scrape the old glue off?

1685814613727.png

Do not understand why Gorella Glue don’t work, are not surfaces clean?
I always find that the Gorilla Glue adhesion doesn't last when enough pressure on it is exerted. There are certain cements in Home Depot and other hardware stores which provide a stronger bond, but I'm not sure which ones do.

I always find that the Gorilla Glue adhesion doesn't last when enough pressure on it is exerted. There are certain cements in Home Depot and other hardware stores which provide a stronger bond, but I'm not sure which ones do.

Well I fix lots of stuff with Krazy Gel & Gorella glues.

Clean surface is key if breaks are clean.

If you loose small pieces , it’s iffy if fix will work.

E6000 glue

The problem is the wood. E6000 glue works well for wood to any material interface. Probably best to remove the old glue as best as you can with light abrasive. (I was going to suggest to clean the residual old glue with acetone but the plastic cap may not be able to take the solvent.)

E6000 glue

The problem is the wood. E6000 glue works well for wood to any material interface. Probably best to remove the old glue as best as you can with light abrasive. (I was going to suggest to clean the residual old glue with acetone but the plastic cap may not be able to take the solvent.)
Well I fix lots of stuff with Krazy Gel & Gorella glues.

Clean surface is key if breaks are clean.

If you loose small pieces , it’s iffy if fix will work.

Thanks to both of you for your comments and suggestions. I'm checking the various versions of E6000. I once considered buying their "Shoe Goo" to cement my New Balance soles back to the upper part. The sneakers aren't new but they're very comfortable and are/were one of the few pair made in the USA. One day I was walking around Costco, and all of a sudden both soles came loose! The bottom of my shoes were flopping away as I walked around the store. It was quite embarrassing and I had to slide as I walked!

You can probably loosen the old glue with warm-hot water.
Two part epoxy would be my first choice.. looks like you need a good bit of adhesive to fill the void.

Agree with the two part epoxy suggestion. The best way to remove old glue depends on the type of glue, but soaking for awhile in hot water then scraping with a soft tool would be a good first attempt.

When gluing, take care the surfaces to be joined are clean and dry. Epoxy can fill small gaps, but try not have any if you can help it.

imo, just spend time to carefully scrape off all the old glue, with exacto knife.
2 part epoxy sounds like best bet to re-connect.
enjoy!

english leather omega friedellko monday february 27 2023.jpg

Top Bottom