What's new

Need help with a straight razor and thick beard

So, I was having issues with my Futur not going through my beard and bought a couple new razors to try--a straight razor and a safety with a slant. I'm actually getting good results from the slant, but wanted to figure out the straight razor since everyone seems to like them better. The problem I'm having is that I'm getting severe razor burn from the straight razor. It seems to get stuck in my beard and I have to use pressure to get it to move. Its an early 20th century Rodgers and Sons that was restored and should have a good edge on it. Just for reference, I had a barber complain that his shavette wouldn't pass through my side burns. He got a new blade and still had trouble. Any tips or suggestions? Or should I just stick to my new slant? Thanks in advance.

I can only say from my own experience (which is admittedly very little) that a sharp straight razor removes my (thick and heavy) whiskers far more efficiently and more comfortably than a DE blade does. Are you 100% sure it's truly shave ready?

So, I was having issues with my Futur not going through my beard and bought a couple new razors to try--a straight razor and a safety with a slant. I'm actually getting good results from the slant, but wanted to figure out the straight razor since everyone seems to like them better. The problem I'm having is that I'm getting severe razor burn from the straight razor. It seems to get stuck in my beard and I have to use pressure to get it to move. Its an early 20th century Rodgers and Sons that was restored and should have a good edge on it. Just for reference, I had a barber complain that his shavette wouldn't pass through my side burns. He got a new blade and still had trouble. Any tips or suggestions? Or should I just stick to my new slant? Thanks in advance.
My guess is your edge is not truly shave ready. I’ve seen YouTube videos where guys shave off Paul Bunyan length beards without trimming with a clippers. A really shave ready edge with a well lubricated face and properly hydrated whiskers should be like a walk in the park for a straight razor. Just my opinion of course.

My guess is your edge is not truly shave ready. I’ve seen YouTube videos where guys shave off Paul Bunyan length beards without trimming with a clippers. A really shave ready edge with a well lubricated face and properly hydrated whiskers should be like a walk in the park for a straight razor. Just my opinion of course.
Case in point...

My blade doesn't do that--either it wasn't sharpened enough or I screwed it up stropping (although I don't think I did). I'll have to get a whetstone and figure out how to hone the edge (or send it off).

Many times a small razor 1/2 to 5/8 will feel like you need to push it through a heavier beard - even if well honed.
I find a 6/8 and larger have the mass to move along well despite the beard.
It MUST be a shave ready razor in the truest sense of the word.
Keep the blade at a low angle. Most new shavers use far too steep an angle which scrapes and leaves irritation even if well honed. Keep the spine just off the face.
Very wet lather is a must.
Have a shower right before shaving as a prep.
Stretch the skin well.
Good luck.

Sir Shackattack, first, welcome to B&B!!

FWIW, IMHO, I'd stick with your slant, which can give efficient yet comfortable shaves!!

Give yourself lots of time to master the straight, with so many variables...sharpness, stropping, angle, pressure.
Enjoy the journey!

merkur slant proraso aug 31 2013.jpg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My guess is that it isn’t sharp enough. The ultimate test would be a Shavette. If that doesn’t cut your beard, it is the way you’re shaving. If it works, your blade isn’t sharp enough. It is good to have a shavette in any case.

I'd say the best reason to get into using a straight is because you want to (for whatever reason). If it's just because someone told you it's easy, works better, etc...stick with the DE.

Once you know how to properly use it and hone and strop it, it's easy but it does take some time to figure it all out and most people are more motivated to do that if they are particularly interested in straights. The initial effort/learning curve may not be worth it for everyone.

The blade is 11/16, so it's not small, and it's cleaned up well. I've seen the seller mentioned on the board and the feedback is all positive. I'm guessing that I'm doing something wrong, or accidentally dulled it myself.

If I try sharpening it, what do you attach lapping film to. I can get a marble tile from the hardware store, but it won't be tall enough to work on comfortably.

The blade is 11/16, so it's not small, and it's cleaned up well. I've seen the seller mentioned on the board and the feedback is all positive. I'm guessing that I'm doing something wrong, or accidentally dulled it myself.

If I try sharpening it, what do you attach lapping film to. I can get a marble tile from the hardware store, but it won't be tall enough to work on comfortably.
I use a block of acrylic. It's 20mm and 3" X 12". Cost me <£5.

I just tried an experiment. I put a new BIC blade in my Futur and have one in the Parker slant with one shave (I had been using Gillette 7 O'Clocks) and stroped the the straight razor. I had about a week's worth of growth. I gave up on the straight after one cheek--a lot of pulling an tugging and its now quite irritated. The other cheek was done with the Futur and it had a minimal amount of tugging with these blades. My chin, neck, and a second pass WTG was done with the slant and it cut smoothly through whatever was in its way.

My conclusion, the straight is dull. Whether its my fault or it was shipped that way, I can't say at this point. I could probably have lived with the Futur and a sharper blade, but the slant is very nice.

Last edited:
I agree, great video. I think "shave ready" is too subjective. To me it literally meant shave ready. To the seller it appears to have meant "nicely restored and lock-jaw free." I could probably send it back and ask him to make it sharper, but I need to learn how to do it anyway.

The 2 pieces of info I can give are send it to someone who can truly make it shave ready. When I first started I sent my 2 straights to a well known company to make them shave ready and I had horrible shaves with them. Wouldnt pass through my beard. A member here honed them and it was a huge difference. Next on my neck I have to buffer the strokes. Last is dont give up. It took me a while but eventually I went from having razor burn so bad on my neck I wanted to just stop shaving to getting consistent smooth shaves. Oh and soap. For straights you typically want less foam and more yogurt consistency than with DE razors.

Top Bottom