What's new

Need help on changing a lightbulb (seriously)

As advertised, it was fairly easy to yank out:

View attachment 1523738

Noticed that the bulb also comes out by itself, ie its not one whole gasket/bulb unit... hoping this means I can just buy a new bulb:

View attachment 1523739

And not the whole unit.
That's right. The "spring" piece you see is there to keep the lamp centered and should not impede the turning. Next time you change one (which shouldn't be for about 11 years), don't attempts to twist it out by applying a pinching pressure to the lamp's periphery. Instead, see if you can get a flat round object that approximates the lamp's circumference and "hold" a piece of duct tape, sticky side towards the lamp, and turn.

BTW, quality issues not withstanding, LEDs are not lights, they are computer chips, and have a lifespan of 55,000 years.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Actually, I had a problem the other day. In one of our hallways, we have a three bulb halogen fixture. One is burned out for a couple of years, and since it was enough light with the two, I let it go. But the other day the seond bulbs burned out, niow its getting too dark there. I had to go to google how to change these bulbs. This is the only halogen lamp I ever dealt with. These bulbs have pins and one needs to push them back and twist....but I needed some rubber gloves as the would not budge first. The rubber gave me the grip I needed, now off to HD to find proper replacements....

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Actually, I had a problem the other day. In one of our hallways, we have a three bulb halogen fixture. One is burned out for a couple of years, and since it was enough light with the two, I let it go. But the other day the seond bulbs burned out, niow its getting too dark there. I had to go to google how to change these bulbs. This is the only halogen lamp I ever dealt with. These bulbs have pins and one needs to push them back and twist....but I needed some rubber gloves as the would not budge first. The rubber gave me the grip I needed, now off to HD to find proper replacements....
I despise the "specialty" bulb type fixtures. Halogen has so much heat as well. You could almost put a hot plate above them and use it for making breakfast!

That's right. The "spring" piece you see is there to keep the lamp centered and should not impede the turning. Next time you change one (which shouldn't be for about 11 years), don't attempts to twist it out by applying a pinching pressure to the lamp's periphery. Instead, see if you can get a flat round object that approximates the lamp's circumference and "hold" a piece of duct tape, sticky side towards the lamp, and turn.

BTW, quality issues not withstanding, LEDs are not lights, they are computer chips, and have a lifespan of 55,000 HOURS. (ETA)
Sounds like a U40 lamp. Not easy to work with at times, but they do the job. Very hot.

70B53E2A-E7EA-4E00-8695-8C76126977E4.png

These are LEDS, but the original ones came in halogen. You can swap one for the other, the voltages should be similar. The LEDs make nearly NO heat.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
or 10 million and 1
1 to hold the bulb, and 10 million to turn the world around him.
Or whatever number are at hand, but rest assured they will each have over 3000 squirreled away where their SO cannot find them, will change them out every couple of days, will thoroughly clean the socket while empty, will have a current favorite, and, based on B & B discussions, will keep buying more, 100 at a time, in search of the perfect bulb. They will post pictures and reviews of each bulb along the way.

View attachment 1535034

These are LEDS, but the original ones came in halogen. You can swap one for the other, the voltages should be similar. The LEDs make nearly NO heat.
Just moved into a house that has a few fixtures that take these. Those little halogens put out an incredible amount of heat for their size. I didn't see any LEDs with that base at Menards but I will definitely be looking on Amazon now. Thanks for posting this.

I think I’ve seen some at the Home Depot. If you can’t find any, I’ll get some sent to you. Nearly every iteration of bulb has an LED equivalent nowadays.
I found some at Home Depot. I'm going to leave the halogens in the half bath that has become my shave den. For now, anyway. The warmth is nice. The rest will get switched out to LED.

I recently learned regarding LED lightbulb lifetimes the bulbs are generally designed to not be enclosed. There is a separate rating for LEDs designed for enclosures. The design consideration is the heat output, which may explain why an enclosed bulb in my kitchen has burnt out after less than 3 years.

Top Bottom