What's new

Need Help Identifying a Vintage Safety Razor

Beautiful heirloom, Congrats! OLDs are one of my favorites, I use a couple that are more bent up and have less plating than yours, and the shave wonderfully for me. I like the character! :thumbup1:

Thanks for this.:) I just gave it a good close look and it's a sideways bend. Actually, not a bad bend at all. All the teeth are still aligned across.:) The one bent tooth is not lower or higher than the others. It's just a bit closer.:)
That's good. You have a treasure there. After my Dad passed away I could only find his shaving brush and would have loved to be able to use his razor too. Always cool to keep that connection alive.

That's good. You have a treasure there. After my Dad passed away I could only find his shaving brush and would have loved to be able to use his razor too. Always cool to keep that connection alive.

Yes, very cool.:)
And thanks to all on B&B for this wonderful information!:) I'm gonna shave with it in the AM!:) Really looking forward to it for two reasons:

1.) The age of it and connection to my father and grandfather.
2.) It'll be the first time I've ever used an open comb razor.:)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Again, since my father was born in 1922, I'm assuming this probably belonged to his father. The razor probably got handed down to dad. If so, how cool is that???

'21~'28 ball-end OLD type, it's beautiful!!! :thumbup: It's what we call a thick cap OLD, it's what I refer to as the best razor ever made!
It's nickel plated, and I would leave it as it is, that's honest wear that was put there from your father's, and your grandfather's hands. Put an Astra SS in it and shave my friend, you may need to manually adjust the blade a little using the alignment tabs on the blade that stick out on the ends.

What TobyC said ^^^.

I wouldnt replate it either. That razor has seen a lot of careful use and I'd cherish it as it is because of that.

What TobyC said ^^^.

I wouldnt replate it either. That razor has seen a lot of careful use and I'd cherish it as it is because of that.

Yes, wholeheartedly agree! I'm not going to try and imprive the wheel. I'm just going to use.:)

Which brings me to this:

Put an Astra SS in it and shave my friend, you may need to manually adjust the blade a little using the alignment tabs on the blade that stick out on the ends.

Well TobyC and Gents, I shaved with this razor this morning. And, as suggested, I popped in a brand new Astra blade.

Oh. My. Gosh! The shave was OUTSTANDING! Smooth, close, and quite simply, just great! No nicks, no cuts, and no irritation! I now understand why these razors are sought out and prized!

The really remarkable thing is, I had found this razor a year ago (long with dad's other shaving gear and Super Speed razor) and set it aside not thinking much of it at the time. How wrong I was!

I am so glad I snapped the pictures and posted! My thanks to all on B&B for the information!

And I feel that, in some way, a past god deed regarding a saety razpor has come full circle.

Recently, I surfed through CraigsList for Gillette Safety Razors. After only a few minutes I was rewarded with finding, only a two hour drive down the road, a Gillette Fatboy with original case in like-new condition. It had been unused since the 1970s. And, to top it all off, the price was $35.00!!

I contacted the seller via email and peppered him with questions about the overall condition, etc. As requested by the seller, I also included my phone number.

I took a closer look at the CraigsList listing and saw a phrase that really changed my entire attitude toward this potential purchase. “Belonged to my father.”

A day or so later, the seller called me. It was a Sunday evening. He explained the condition of the razor. Just as I had hoped, a real find.

But, “belonged to my father” came back to me. So, I asked the seller if the razor did, indeed, belong to his father. He said it had.

I then explained to him exactly what he had in his possession. I explained that this particular razor, dollar-wise, was worth much, much more than $35.00. But, I stressed, that the razor was worth so much more than money. It was part of his family history. It’s a connection to his father. It recalls many days of family gatherings and holidays. I explained to him how I still have my late father’s razor. I can still clearly see, in my mind’s eye, dad shaving to “clean up” before the evening PTA meeting or going to church on Sunday or graduation parties, birthdays, etc.

As a young boy with endless energy running around the house, inevitably, I would race down the hall and past the bathroom. The door would be open and I would catch my dad shaving with that razor. I’d see him use his shaving brush (an Ever-Ready, I believe) to apply cream, then popping a Wilkinson Sword blade into his Gillette Super Speed and begin to plow through all that thick soapy cream.

When I look at my dad’s razor, those memories flood back. And they’re precious. It’s a part of my life. I look back on those days with great fondness. Of all the activities my dad engaged in, wet shaving is the one I remember most. And I suspect others have the same memories.

I don’t want to deny these similar memories to someone else.

And so this seller has decided to give wet shaving a try with his dad's razor. (And perhaps hand it down to his son or grandson). I sent him links with "how to" videos and other information.

So, in a way, perhaps my good deed was rewarded. In a small way, I helped preserve someone else's family history...and look how my family history has been rediscovered again and grown just a bit.:)

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Yes, wholeheartedly agree! I'm not going to try and imprive the wheel. I'm just going to use.:)

Which brings me to this:

Well TobyC and Gents, I shaved with this razor this morning. And, as suggested, I popped in a brand new Astra blade.

Oh. My. Gosh! The shave was OUTSTANDING! Smooth, close, and quite simply, just great! No nicks, no cuts, and no irritation! I now understand why these razors are sought out and prized!

The really remarkable thing is, I had found this razor a year ago (long with dad's other shaving gear and Super Speed razor) and set it aside not thinking much of it at the time. How wrong I was!

I am so glad I snapped the pictures and posted! My thanks to all on B&B for the information!

And I feel that, in some way, a past god deed regarding a saety razpor has come full circle.

Recently, I surfed through CraigsList for Gillette Safety Razors. After only a few minutes I was rewarded with finding, only a two hour drive down the road, a Gillette Fatboy with original case in like-new condition. It had been unused since the 1970s. And, to top it all off, the price was $35.00!!

I contacted the seller via email and peppered him with questions about the overall condition, etc. As requested by the seller, I also included my phone number.

I took a closer look at the CraigsList listing and saw a phrase that really changed my entire attitude toward this potential purchase. “Belonged to my father.”

A day or so later, the seller called me. It was a Sunday evening. He explained the condition of the razor. Just as I had hoped, a real find.

But, “belonged to my father” came back to me. So, I asked the seller if the razor did, indeed, belong to his father. He said it had.

I then explained to him exactly what he had in his possession. I explained that this particular razor, dollar-wise, was worth much, much more than $35.00. But, I stressed, that the razor was worth so much more than money. It was part of his family history. It’s a connection to his father. It recalls many days of family gatherings and holidays. I explained to him how I still have my late father’s razor. I can still clearly see, in my mind’s eye, dad shaving to “clean up” before the evening PTA meeting or going to church on Sunday or graduation parties, birthdays, etc.

As a young boy with endless energy running around the house, inevitably, I would race down the hall and past the bathroom. The door would be open and I would catch my dad shaving with that razor. I’d see him use his shaving brush (an Ever-Ready, I believe) to apply cream, then popping a Wilkinson Sword blade into his Gillette Super Speed and begin to plow through all that thick soapy cream.

When I look at my dad’s razor, those memories flood back. And they’re precious. It’s a part of my life. I look back on those days with great fondness. Of all the activities my dad engaged in, wet shaving is the one I remember most. And I suspect others have the same memories.

And so this seller has decided to give wet shaving a try with his dad's razor. (And perhaps hand it down to his son or grandson). I sent him links with "how to" videos and other information.

So, in a way, perhaps my good deed was rewarded. In a small way, I helped preserve someone else's family history...and look how my family history has been rediscovered again and grown just a bit.:)
Thank you sir! From someone who has things his father and grandfather and mother used and finds that every time I use them life just gets a little better!

The shaving gods are smiling. And your Craigslist friend will be calling you when he finds a case of NOS Toggles at an estate sale for 50.00!

My old man's razor.

Fuzzy picture.

MINE (4).JPG

Mark - Congrats on the razor, and for the nice story about opening someone's eyes! These Old Types are awesome enough on their own, but when you add the family element, it just makes them that more special. +1 to what everyone else said about not replating, and leaving the bent tooth alone. Enjoy it, and eventually pass it down to yours and theirs!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Which brings me to this:

Its nice to have something so personal from a family member. I remember when I was little, 5 or 6, and watching my father shave with his Gillette Rocket and I think of him when I use it now. He died in 1992 and it will continue to be passed down the line.

IMG_1342.jpg

Which brings me to this:

You sir are a true gentleman. May you be blessed and enjoy your adventure.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Oh, didn't expect a franken.

Adam

The patent for the New improved was Jan. 13. 1920.

I've seen those handles on Techs, News, and OLD types, this is Gillette we're talking about! I have no reason to believe the handle was ever changed. When I got it the pat was on top, but it was cracked and had been soldered, and I assumed it had been flipped, so I re-repaired it and flipped it to put the patent on the bottom. Most of the ones I've seen since then are on the top!!!

What are your thoughts on this handle?

Top Bottom