What's new

Need help finding more info on Professional Pro Steel Blue Carbon Steel frying pans

hello ariaz,

I can't believe you typed all that on your S8 ...you must be used to doing it on that small device. I like Desktop computers myself, but admit am a bit old fashion still.

Anyway as has been suggested initially you had just burnt it in with too high of heat at the beginning, and then used the scour cleaner on it, all of which as you know now, was your causes.

We have the same pans as you from TJMax, all the sizes, anyway in your picture from post 58 it almost looks like you scoured it so much it nearly looks like a silver stainless steel or aluminum color now. We've never done that, and never overheat the pan cooking, as well never ever have scoured it out like that either.

Now I'm not sure it's as stick free as the women shows near the end of the video (very nice video actually) with that salt and potato peel seasoning ..we will have to try that one for sure, but never have scoured the pan with the things you're not suppose to do, and with just olive oil seasoning it every time afterwards, etc, only sponge washing, etc, so that the patina builds up properly, ours are pretty non-stick and stay that way as long as you don't burn something in it, or wrong sauce, etc etc...

Nice video shavefan, and with that one nothing else needs to be said... we are definitely going to do that salt/potato skin seasoning thing, we'll watch the video again for the exact details, but the way the women was swirling that egg was impressive non-stick in action, and is how we want ours too - it's close though as is.

Thanks for the info. However there is a lot of conflicting info out there. a true steel pan should not be damaged by high heat, otherwise what's the different between these and a Teflon non stick pan. The lady in the video says the same that there is no upper limit of temperature for there pans and they are safe for oven use also...
I know I burnt mine by searing a steak but I thought that was normal use for the pan. I mean how hot can my induction stove get to begin with that I was able to damage the coating on the pan. Most other carbon steel.oans don't come.with a coating so they are good for any temperature.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
They will take high heat. That is a standard cooking method for carbon steel pans. But it's simple, if you exceed the smoke point of the seasoning or coating, you're going to have to re-season. Not that big of a deal to re-season.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
There's high heat, and there's too high heat. Carbon steel pans are much thinner than cast iron and can permanently warp if heated too quickly or allowed to over heat (ask me how I know). Overheating will also of course ruin the "seasoning". Oven temps, even up to 550° or so, are perfectly fine. Heating in the oven also allows the metal to come up to temp slowly which is not always the case when over a burner. Steel gauge varies too from manufacturer to manufacturer. The thiner the steel, the more sensitive to heat.

That's my experience anyway.

Edit: I agree that the part of the video about no upper heat limit can be confusing. I'm pretty sure she was talking about oven temps. Carbon steel is perfectly fine an any residential oven's upper temp limit (this is not true with most non-stick pans). But on a burner you easily and quickly can get a pan cherry red, which of course is no bueno.

Last edited:
Debuyer! Blue steel, season with canola oil. I've got fifty year old cast iron, LeCreuset, high quality skillets and pans. For my money, Blue Steel Debuyer cannot be beat. Enjoy!

20190105_153326.jpg

Attachments

• 20190105_153326.jpg
    20190105_153326.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
+1 on that video... My pans look alot like the ones in the video. The bottom of the pan in black and the sides are slightly lighter in color. In fact I have both of their favorite pans. I bought the matfer and liked it so much that when I had an opportunity to grab a BluSkillet I jumped on it.

Well, part of my pan had burnt after first use of searing a steak in it. So I decided to take a scotch pad to it and some comex powder. That basically stripped the black coating from the pan, exposing the silver metal. So I said ok I'll just season it like a carbon steel pan usually is. Same steps as they suggested.

After seasoning it, I decided to make an omelette in it. I used a decent amount of oil but that omelette bonded with the pan like freaking glue...looks like I might just have to throw this pan in the garbage...I had really high hopes that perhaps I had found the holy Grail of a non stick pan...but sadly no.
This is how it looks at the moment, I've pretty much scrubbed it down again to remove some of the seasoning, thinking what I should I do next.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk[/QUO
hello alirz,

The color of the pan brand new is a black/blueish color, and that is just how it is.
Yes they do put a coating on when new, they say that right on the tag,
On the first use the pan was excellent non-stick, etc, with all that ..but yes it does wear off soon after as you go along.
The cooking discoloration is normal.
Yes it's very good to season it, at least my wife does every time after she is finished washing it, dries it, and then puts a thin coat of olive oil on it. Also, every other time after coating with olive oil, heats it on the stove just Before it would smoke, shut the burner off leaving it to cool, and then wipe out the pan and then rinse with water only no soap, and puts it away.
She is saying she does not heat it every single time, depends on how it looks, but she does wipe it down with olive oil every time and wipes that in.

However on the tag that comes with the pan how and why to season it does it a little differently, which is.... well, it's too much to type, so I will just scan what the tags on one of her pans say here, and post it.

Do what is right for your particular situation, experience, and usage....
My wife is an Exceptional cook, like many of you are I'm sure!

View attachment 940625 View attachment 940626 View attachment 940627 View attachment 940628
i

I am having this same problem. I found mine at Marshall’s it is a sister store to home goods I believe. I really thought I found a great pan for eggs. The coating came off after cooking with it twice. I’m trying to find out who the maker is and nothing is showing up online.

I am having this same problem. I found mine at Marshall’s it is a sister store to home goods I believe. I really thought I found a great pan for eggs. The coating came off after cooking with it twice. I’m trying to find out who the maker is and nothing is showing up online.
Yup. Well in the first or the third post on the first page someone did posted a link to the possible manufacturer of this pan. I did reach out to them on their website but got no response back. not even sure if they're still in business or not

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Thanks for this post DCRIII
Must be a new company....
I bought a 9"/24 cm Pro Steel with the CI handle last month @ TJ Max for $12.99. Feels great in the hand, heats up fast. Sears steaks nicely, home fries, potato pancakes, omelets, stir fries etc. I treat is like my seasoned cast irons that never get soap to clean and I don't cook tomatoes or lemon in the skillet. It came factory seasoned but that wore off after a few uses and I have since re-seasoned it a few times over again. The skillet is black now. NOT grey like it was when it was new. I would have preferred only the bees waxed protective coating so I could have seasoned it myself from the beginning. So far, so good as my 'go-to' breakfast skillet for everything breakfast.:a18::001_tt2:

:) We both lived in Massachusetts for a while as well :) ..and are still now not too far away.
Awesome that you lived in China - I love the Orient and many things about their cultures.
Sometimes, when I hear certain music from those countries, I feel a longing in my soul..
Also love to watch movies from Oriental countries as well, especially, quality, martial arts; so does the wife!

Here's the DeBuyers ones she looked at too:
Mineral B
Regular
...seems she is really into the 12" ones, but has smaller ones too.
Years ago, LoL, she bought a Wolfgang Puck set of SS pans from TV, and still has them too!
Actually they were pretty good pans, and of course, he bought them in quantity from a supplier that their job is to cater to quantity buyers who create their own name.

Yeah $17 for your two pans was an Excellent! buy, good for you.

I don't think that Lotus Rock just makes it for TJMax brand, I think, as it was alluded to previously, that Lotus Rock makes pans for any Celebrity or Anyone with deep pockets and can buy Quantity, they buy and put their name on it. Somehow I think TJMax gets their odd and ends, etc? ..and then slips that generic label on it we all are seeing. I don't know all that for a fact, but that was my impression. That's why you never see TJMAx have a complete supply of them, just ones and twozies ..well that is unless at your store they do have the full line?

Maybe Lotus Rock doesn't say exactly where they get it, so that someone else doesn't get the idea to become a distributer too, and then be in competition with them ..is my guess

Okay ...have a good weekend
Wife says hello, and she is off for Saturday morning grocery shopping ..said she may even swing buy our TJMax store for the heck of it, because she has the buyer there checking on things about this pan for her; hopefully she gets some good info.

I am going to have her type all this the next time <vbg>
She is the gourmet cook of the house though, I am the gourmet techie.. :001_rolle
Thank you SO much for all this info- I was just looking for exactly this!!! Appreciated--

After reading about these pans on their website, apparently there IS an upper temp limit of 350F, as these pans are made internally of carbon steel, but ceramicized on the cooking layer. The "seasoning" is on this layer, not directly on the carbon steel.

Hello lizebird,
...am glad you found the post helpful.
She says she continually gets the best use out of the pan by never overheating it, that way the coating does not completely get destroyed. She re-seasons it every few uses.
My point is, the first pan she bought she used it on higher heat like others here to really brown some meats up, etc, which yes did take it to higher heat. She found by doing that though, that the coating came off quickly and the pan really looked it too, and foods stuck and harder to clean, and she had to re-season every single time.
On the next new one she bought she has taken a new approach, which is to more or less 'baby it' ..never overheat it, this way she says even after months of using it the pan (the coating) still looks almost like the day she bought it. It cleans up easier, eggs don't stick, etc, etc... ymmv; everyone has their own method, but I will say she is determined and mind-set to succeed to make the pan last.
If there is any specific question you want to know, she would be glad to answer..

Top Bottom