What's new

Need Dress shirts

I am in need of new dress shirts. I have historically been buying BB 346 Slim-fit non-iron's and still need to get them taken in on the sides and sleeves in order to not be swimming in them. Even with buying them on sale at the outlets it's still costing me in total somewhere around $100 per shirt. They keep wearing at the left elbow causing holes.

I'm looking for something a bit more quality than BB that I wouldn't have to alter. One local option is Ledbury ledbury.com that is based right here in Richmond. They cater to the mid-thirty's young professional and have sleeve altering options. Does anyone know of anything else that I should be looking into? Looking to spend around $100 each but willing to go a bit higher for something that really fits the bill.

Last edited:
I am in the same boat as you, and I am also in the Richmond area. I usually stock up on dress shirts from Brooks Brothers when they have a shirt sale, but they are not the best quality and they never fit exactly right. I was wondering about Ledbury myself, but I have never made it to the store. Have you purchased any of their shirts? There are also online options like propercloth.com where you can give them your measurements and they make the shirt for you.

I guess the shirts I use won't qualify, as I refuse to spend more than $20, on sale, sometimes as low as $15 (Croft and Barrow). What makes BB or other shirts at this price point attractive?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

In a previous life I bought lots of shirts from Thomas Pink. Loved the fit and the variety of fabrics and I much prefer a British-style business shirt to an American-style shirt.

They have stores in the USA and if there is one within reach, it would be well worth a visit. Otherwise, shopping online may be an option. Their regular sales make things even better value.

I have had good results with Paul Fredrick shirts. They last longer than BB and Jos. A. Bank and are reasonably priced.

Thank you all for giving me some places to look into, I haven't had time to look at all today, but hope to this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My body style is very odd, I wear a 16.5" neck, and 33-34" sleeve yet I'm only 175lbs so most shirts that I have found off the rack for my neck and sleeve size, I'm literally swimming in, even the slim-fit's. I'm considering going semi MTM and looking at Alton Lane, Tom James, or Suit Supply. Can anyone offer any experiences they have had with any of those makers?

Might head by the Ledbury shop today to see if anything there fits off the rack. If I do, @jdp93 I'll let you know what I think.

I have about 60 Ledbury shirts, good quality but I would advise against taking them to the cleaners. I wash and iron them myself. You can tell the fabric quality is very good because they iron very easily. The guys that began Ledbury use to work for a Tailor in London and I really like they English style dress shirt. I did have a lot of Thomas Pink dress shirts but their quality has been declining and prices rising for a couple years so I switched to Ledbury.

Maybe try Nordstrom and check out some of the great looking Ted Baker shirts they have. The Ted Baker regular fit shirts are too tight for me so I imagine the slim fit are incredibly slim. I joked about that and the sales guy said something like you out to see some of the Hugo Boss... And if you sign up for Nordstrom's loyalty program, they refund the cost of your alterations in store credit. Don't know about the quality of the Ted Baker dress shirts though. But the sports close are well made.

I guess the shirts I use won't qualify, as I refuse to spend more than $20, on sale, sometimes as low as $15 (Croft and Barrow). What makes BB or other shirts at this price point attractive?

Thread count, Stitching and fit most often. Especially if you are a slim person, the shorts tend to fit the body much more.

Thread count, Stitching and fit most often. Especially if you are a slim person, the shorts tend to fit the body much more.
Thanks for the explanation. I wear a shirt and tie to work each day and just never gave too much thought about them (although I like my ties, and miss the days of wearing a suit - everything has gone business casual these days).

All, thank you for the addtional response! @Cuttingboard 60 Ledbury shirts! Good lord man how big is your closet let alone your wallet haha.

Once again does anyone have any experience with Tom Jones or Alton Lane?

Very well might be making a trip 5 mins downtown for the Ledbury shop this week.

I hit the brooks brothers outlet and got 4 for $160. Or Kirkland from costco which some claim are a brooks brothers knockoff and are dam fine for under $20 a shirt. Another option is Jcrew or the Michael Strahan colllection at penneys. I have all of the above and they're all fantastic.

All, thank you for the addtional response! @Cuttingboard 60 Ledbury shirts! Good lord man how big is your closet let alone your wallet haha.

I was one of their first customers and they kept sending coupon codes and credits for referring people. I still have shirts that are still in their plastic sleeve that I have not opened yet because I do not have room in my closet.

I was one of their first customers and they kept sending coupon codes and credits for referring people. I still have shirts that are still in their plastic sleeve that I have not opened yet because I do not have room in my closet.

Haha, ya don't happen to be a 16.5 do ya??

Top Bottom