What's new

Need Advice Re: Oil Lanterns

Hey all, hope you are well.

I was looking through my emergency supply stuff and realized I don't have any oil lanterns for indoor/outdoor use during a power outage. I have some flashlights and a few candles but they are awful to read with and have other cons (candles not as durable/Flashlights need batteries etc).

was wondering if any of you fine folks use old fashioned oil lanterns and what model you recommend for durability etc. The most of the popular brands all seem to have reviews saying there are issues with oil leaks.

Thanks and stay safe.

I have several as well. traditional metal with hurricane glass. nearly 20 years old and no leaks … they are stored indoors. no idea where I got them but the brand name on them is V&O

Haven't actually used one since beginning grade school at the end of WWII. Not sure the models were more than material (metal or glass). Dad used a "railroad-like" model for chores outside; used glass inside. Metal would be more likely to leak around fittings. If you plan on using them for real, I would practice to get the wick trimming method down so you don't smoke up the house. But you had better google how to do that; I don't remember. Do remember being happy when we finally got electricity!

I have several, Dietz, Champion and a few other brands carried at Lehman's and Amazon. Hurricane lanterns can be used in high wind and rain, the glass ones are good indoors. Flat wick, round wick and the higher end alladin lamps(brightest indoor only though). All at Lehman's. Fuel and extra wicks. A few can warm or cook with. Easier to get an ultralight stove on Amazon for that 12 bucks or so, and a couple canisters of fuel.

Easier to get an ultralight stove on Amazon for that 12 bucks or so, and a couple canisters of fuel.
Do not use a camping stove indoors. Cook outside on the porch or something. Many of these stoves produce a significant amount of carbon monoxide, especially when a pot is on.

Antique shops are the best place to look. The old ones were built better than the newer stuff in my opinion. The link below is a good place for parts and even some good lanterns. They still make Aladdin oil lamps and they are the brightest. For outside use, look into Coleman lanterns. Mainly the hand pump gas lanterns. I collect anything Coleman and I rebuild/restore old Coleman lanterns as a hobby.

W.T. Kirkman Oil and Electric Lanterns: Aladdin Mantle Lamps - https://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Aladdin-Lamps

Another Coleman liquid fuel collector here, too. I have a literal truck load of that stuff.

One of my favorite is a Coleman kerosene lantern. You have to preheat it with alcohol before starting it on kerosene. It will burn well over 12 hours on a tank.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Go to Wallyworld
Get one that strikes your fancy, a 1/2 gallon of lamp oil, and a pack of wicks
Take it home
Use it

Since it appears you haven't used one much...do NOT touch the globe after you have blown it out until it cools down.

Left to right:

1/2 gallon of lamp oil
One that Grandma had in one of the bedrooms
Another old one that I don't remember which relative I got it from (I have 3 or 4 of those)
A Wallyworld one (I have 2 or 3 of those)
An "outside" one that puts out pathetic light. I think it is from some type of discount store

1585102610964.png

A Wallyworld metal one in a reflective wall holder that Mom said that Grandma used when Mom was a kid.

1585102762550.png

If the power is out usually two in the living room and the wall mounted one is fine. If I need some more light I'll put another one on the dining room table. The only leaks I had were from the glass ones that developed a crack in the fuel resevoir.

Don't expect to be reading easily with them though. And they are really for indoor use. For outdoor use (ONLY) the Coleman type is good. I have Dad's old Thermos brand of that type, and a Coleman Dual Fuel that I picked up years ago. If I was to get a new one of that type it would be a propane fuel one.

I have several, Dietz, Champion and a few other brands carried at Lehman's and Amazon. Hurricane lanterns can be used in high wind and rain, the glass ones are good indoors. Flat wick, round wick and the higher end alladin lamps(brightest indoor only though). All at Lehman's. Fuel and extra wicks. A few can warm or cook with. Easier to get an ultralight stove on Amazon for that 12 bucks or so, and a couple canisters of fuel.
I will check out Lehman's thank you.

Go to Wallyworld
Get one that strikes your fancy, a 1/2 gallon of lamp oil, and a pack of wicks
Take it home
Use it

Since it appears you haven't used one much...do NOT touch the globe after you have blown it out until it cools down.

Left to right:

1/2 gallon of lamp oil
One that Grandma had in one of the bedrooms
Another old one that I don't remember which relative I got it from (I have 3 or 4 of those)
A Wallyworld one (I have 2 or 3 of those)
An "outside" one that puts out pathetic light. I think it is from some type of discount store

View attachment 1078213

A Wallyworld metal one in a reflective wall holder that Mom said that Grandma used when Mom was a kid.

View attachment 1078214

If the power is out usually two in the living room and the wall mounted one is fine. If I need some more light I'll put another one on the dining room table. The only leaks I had were from the glass ones that developed a crack in the fuel resevoir.

Don't expect to be reading easily with them though. And they are really for indoor use. For outdoor use (ONLY) the Coleman type is good. I have Dad's old Thermos brand of that type, and a Coleman Dual Fuel that I picked up years ago. If I was to get a new one of that type it would be a propane fuel one.
WOW. Some of those are absolutely lovely! You have a nice collection. Thanks for the all of the info I have indeed learned from it.

Antique shops are the best place to look. The old ones were built better than the newer stuff in my opinion. The link below is a good place for parts and even some good lanterns. They still make Aladdin oil lamps and they are the brightest. For outside use, look into Coleman lanterns. Mainly the hand pump gas lanterns. I collect anything Coleman and I rebuild/restore old Coleman lanterns as a hobby.

W.T. Kirkman Oil and Electric Lanterns: Aladdin Mantle Lamps - https://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Aladdin-Lamps
Yes, I suspected the newer ones were outsourced/made with lower quality material/etc. The only problem is some of the older ones I've seen have rusted and have excessive residue on the glass. I am sure if you restore them they could be improved but I do not see myself investing the time into all of that.

Thank you. I will see if i can find a good one on here.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
WOW. Some of those are absolutely lovely! You have a nice collection. Thanks for the all of the info I have indeed learned from it.

Thanks, but it's not much. I doubt any of the old ones are worth much.

Just to be clear...the wall mounted reflective holder was what Grandma used, not the Wallyworld lantern that's in it now...Walmart didn't exist in the '30s. :biggrin1:

Another Coleman liquid fuel collector here, too. I have a literal truck load of that stuff.

One of my favorite is a Coleman kerosene lantern. You have to preheat it with alcohol before starting it on kerosene. It will burn well over 12 hours on a tank.
Those thing are bright. I wonder how many light bulbs that would be the equivalent to.

To any who might be interested...
I was cleaning out the attic today and found this:

I am not sure if it a decanter of some sort or an old-fashioned oil lantern. It is certainly a handsome piece from Spain. If it is a lantern would anyone have an idea how to use it?

Attachments

• 20200325_162713.jpg
    20200325_162713.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 18
To any who might be interested...
I was cleaning out the attic today and found this:

I am not sure if it a decanter of some sort or an old-fashioned oil lantern. It is certainly a handsome piece from Spain. If it is a lantern would anyone have an idea how to use it?
That might be a lamp intended to be used with olive oil. Variations on this type of lamp go back thousands of years.

oil-lamp-1.jpg

We have an old Dietz lamp that doesn’t leak. It’s not a whole lot brighter than a candle and my wife hates the smell.

There are modern variations on the old wall-mount gas lamps that look pretty cool. I think some run on propane. I tried to find an antique gas lamp but it seem they’ve all been converted to electricity.

The deitz lanterns are really good. They are best on kerosene fuel. If you run parafin fuel in them they are not nearley as bright. They are available online and good quality. Refined kerosene is available at outdoors stores.

Top Bottom