What's new

Need advice on razors

For those of you who have owned either a Wolfman WR2 (lower gaps), Karve SB (B or C plate), or Tatara Masamune, what other razors have you found to have a similar face feel?

I have tried the Wolfman WR1 and that did not work for me. Same with ATT M1. I understand REX AMbassador and Envoy have much more blade feel. Same with Carbon razors. The only one that I keep seeing in that conversation is the Timeless .68mm SB.

FWIW, I seem to prefer razors with neutral to slightly negative blade exposure. Blade gap seems to not matter that much judging by my WR2. The WR2 and Karve just run over my face like a hot knife through butter which is exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

To me, the Razorock Lupo (I only have de aluminum version) and the Razorock Game Changer .84 are very similar to my Karve with plate C. Equally comfortable, maybe a bit more efficient. You are correct about the REX ambassador. I love it, it is one of my favorite razors, but it requires a bit more technic, depending on the angle it can become a little aggressive.
The order one is the Rockwell 6S or 6C. To me, this is the King/Queen of smoothness and then you have 6 levels of efficiency to play with.
Some people don't like the bulkiness of the head, I don't really see anything wrong with it.

Even though I don't have all the razors you mentioned, I hope this helps :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

To me, the Razorock Lupo (I only have de aluminum version) and the Razorock Game Changer .84 are very similar to my Karve with plate C. Equally comfortable, maybe a bit more efficient. You are correct about the REX ambassador. I love it, it is one of my favorite razors, but it requires a bit more technic, depending on the angle it can become a little aggressive.
The order one is the Rockwell 6S or 6C. To me, this is the King/Queen of smoothness and then you have 6 levels of efficiency to play with.
Some people don't like the bulkiness of the head, I don't really see anything wrong with it.

Even though I don't have all the razors you mentioned, I hope this helps :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have the Lupo (Al) and had the GC84. GC 84 was too much for me and Lupo I still use occasionally. Sounds like the Rockwell is worth a try. How about the Feather AS-D2?

I have tried the Wolfman WR1 and that did not work for me.

Which gap did you get? I've tried a few WR1 gaps including .48 which is very comfortable and smooth. Less blade feel than my Masamune.

I do agree .54 and above will have more blade feel.

Haven't tested the WR2 design yet.

Other razors I enjoy with similar feel and mildness (to the Tatara) are Colonial Silversmith, Timeless bronze .38, ATT G1, Blackland Sabre L1. I have a Hone Type 15 but haven't tried it yet but hear it is very comfortable.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
For those of you who have owned either a Wolfman WR2 (lower gaps), Karve SB (B or C plate), or Tatara Masamune, what other razors have you found to have a similar face feel?

I have tried the Wolfman WR1 and that did not work for me. Same with ATT M1. I understand REX AMbassador and Envoy have much more blade feel. Same with Carbon razors. The only one that I keep seeing in that conversation is the Timeless .68mm SB.

FWIW, I seem to prefer razors with neutral to slightly negative blade exposure. Blade gap seems to not matter that much judging by my WR2. The WR2 and Karve just run over my face like a hot knife through butter which is exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I have the Karve Brass with SB plated from B through F and OC B, C & F. One of my favorite razors, price notwithstanding.

Also have the Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB, which sounds like it would have too much blade feel for your preferences.

Based on that assumption, her are some suggestions from my Den, in alphabetical order:

ATT Mixed Metal (MM) CR1
Blackland Vector SB
Blackland Sabre L2*
Charcoal Goods Everyday Razor
Hone 15a
Occam's Stainless DE
RazoRock BBS
RazoRock Lupo 0.72 SB*
Timeless Ti .68 SB
Timeless Ti Slim*
Yates 921-M

*Based on your description, the starred razors may still have too much blade feel for your preferences.

Obviously a wide range of prices.

Hope this helps.

And, of course, YMMV :)

Last edited:
I have the Karve Brass with SB plated from B through F and OC B, C & F. One of my favorite razors, price notwithstanding.

Also have the Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB, which sounds like it would have too much blade feel for your preferences.

Based on that assumption, her are some suggestions from my Den, in alphabetical order:

ATT Mixed Metal (MM) CR1
Blackland Vector SB
Blackland Sabre L2*
Charcoal Goods Everyday Razor
Hone 15a
Occam's Stainless DE
RazoRock BBS
RazoRock Lupo 0.72 SB*
Timeless Ti .68 SB
Timeless Ti Slim*
Yates 921-M

*Based on your description, the starred razors may still have too much blade feel for your preferences.

Obviously a wide range of prices.

Hope this helps.

And, of course, YMMV :)

Of the ones you list, I find the following three of particular interest:

ATT MM CR1
CG Everyday
Timeless 68 SB

Would you say these are mild and glide over the face effortlessly?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Of the ones you list, I find the following three of particular interest:

ATT MM CR1
CG Everyday
Timeless 68 SB

Would you say these are mild and glide over the face effortlessly?

Yes, all three.

Additionally, there is a milder version of the ATT MM available, the CM1. The ATT MM razors use a stainless cap and handle with a copper base plate.

ATT CR1
20210204_204312~2.jpg

Charcoal Goods Everyday
image.jpg

Timeless Ti 0.68 SB
20200528_151934~2.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
what is your preferred plate with the Karve for the best combination of smoothness and efficiency ? I don’t care for that much blade feel but could sacrifice for efficiency. Edit:Was thinking of going with C

I'm currently using the SB-D, which would probably be too much blade feel.

The SB-C is a very good combination of smooth and efficient. :)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have the Karve Brass OC and SB in plate B. Of those two, I prefer the OC. I like both very much. They both figure into my rotation frequently and both are capable of providing an excellent shave. That having been said, my Timeless SS SB .68 w/scalloped head & base consistently gives a better shave than either one. Again, those Karve razors are capable of performing at a very high level...but my Timeless consistently outperforms both. Now...I did not buy either of my Karve razors with a Karve handle. I bought aftermarket handles for both. I only bought the base plates and a top cap for each. So...if I look at the price of these versus the Timeless, then performance versus cost, the Karve wins. But if you're willing to pay more for a Timeless, then you won't be disappointed. And...I'm going to do it...wait for it...wait for it...YMMV.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Is there an advantage to the MM or is it just an aesthetic difference?

The MM CR1 has a different face feel than the Windsor Pro. Both are good razors, I prefer the CR1 and CH1 plates - the CR1 being the medium of the three copper plates.

Sounds like you are pretty happy with your Karve. Just looking for a similar but different face feel razor?

The MM CR1 has a different face feel than the Windsor Pro. Both are good razors, I prefer the CR1 and CH1 plates - the CR1 being the medium of the three copper plates.

Sounds like you are pretty happy with your Karve. Just looking for a similar but different face feel razor?

I am looking for another razor that feels and shaves similar to the Karve B and Wolfman 95SB simply for the sake of diversification/research/science. I have 3 razors in my rotation and would not mind if I could have 4 or 5 in the rotation.

I will second the H&S N075 (recommend the mixed metal version) as well as the Yates M plate. Very comparable to the Masamune, and both are a bit more efficient. The Yates M a bit moreso.

My Timeless Ti . 68 scalloped was exactly what I was looking for in a daily driver. I can use it on consecutive days and get close, irritation-free shaves; it is very comfortable. Once I discovered that we like a steep angle and Astra SPs, it has become my top choice.

The Masamune is the mildest razor I have tried and seems to have virtually no blade feel. The Timeless is a slight bump up in blade feel (still mild) but a huge leap in terms of efficiency, at least with my angle-challenged technique.

The Timeless head design has a large profile. I love the appearance and shaving with the unique head. A common complaint is that it is bulky. It is obviously a very different design than the sleek Masamune. I think you can make an informed decision in that regard based on pictures. Both razors clamp the blade firmly.

As I mentioned, I think the Timeless lends itself naturally to and excels at a steep angle. My first shaves were with a neutral angle and very nice, but the steep angle is a level up IMHO. The Masamune on the other hand requires a shallow angle with its neutral exposure.

I have no first hand experience but from what I have read the AS-D2 and H&S sound like great suggestions as well.

That H&S looks amazing. Seems like the smallest gap is .75mm with neutral exposure?
Yes N075, N is for neutral blade exposure 75 is blade gap .75 ... Very smooth razor and reminds me of Wolfman lower gaps. Its twin, which feels similar to me in face feel is the Blackland Tradere SB which I forgot to mention. You won’t go wrong with either one and both deliver A smooth mindless worry free shave. You will like both razors if you get the opportunity to try either one out. Both are winners in my book. Worthy mention is the Timeless .68 but it left more stubble in comparison to Blackland Tradere Sb or H&s N075. At least from my experience. I believe H&S N075 & Blackland Tradere SB are winners in my book!!

Top Bottom