What's new

Need a suggestion for insulated french press...

linty1

My wallet cries.
Hello, wanted to get your opinions/suggestions on a doubke walled/insulated French Press. I currently have a Bodum 3 cup at home and an ikea one at work (a bigger one to share). Love both, but find that sitting for 4 minutes tends to leave it without much "hot-time" left to drink it. The "Frieling" brand comes up a lot in "best of" google searches, but I am also seeing no name ones on ebay. Size I'm looking for is around 12 oz (1 mug full) for my home one. Any leads/comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

I have a Nissan / Stanley insulated French press I purchased for a deployment in 2012. It is fantastic, in my opinion. It keeps the coffee hot enough that I can drink two and a half mugs of hot coffee. It's a very sturdy press that produces excellent coffee.

Sent via Tapatalk

I absolutely love my Frieling. I got it for mornings I wanted more coffee than my 3-cup Bonjour would deliver ..... but also wanted to enjoy it slowly .... while still hot. Perfect. No complaints. Would buy it again without even checking around.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Thanks for all the leads... the frieling does seem to get good reviews, At around $85 cad a pop its a little pricey... time for some online hunting I think.

I may be the only person that has an issue with this but i can't drink out of a stainless steel insulated travel mug, stainless steel water bottle and when i bought a stainless steel, insulated French press, i tried a number of times making coffee with it and i abandoned it as well, to me very strongly, and to my wife to a lesser degree, the coffee had a metallic taste to it which i just couldn't abide.

Some day i'll buy a glass French press but for now it's the Aeropress or the #4 Melitta when i need quantity. It may be just the steel on steel when you press the coffee, the sound of which sets my teeth on edge, that was messing with my mind.

dave

linty1

My wallet cries.
@dave - you raise some good points, for my take to work thermos, it is a zojirushi sm80 one, stainless but the inside is lined with some ceramic lining, so I dont get that tin taste.. I also notice I get the tin taste when the steel actually touches my mouth when drinking, if I pour it from say a steel thermos, but the lid has a plastic rim, I dont get the tin taste... or less. mm.. I didnt think about how it would work with a french press though..

I have stainless and glass thermal presses and the one I favor the most is the Bodum Columbia stainless.

Bodum also makes a double wall glass press but they are pricey, to the point that I do not use it regularly

proxy.php

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I love the Frieling that I've used for over five years. I've not noticed a metallic taste, and I know I'll never break the thing.

I have both Frieling and Columbia stainless presses in all 3 sizes and the Bodum is my tops.

Stays warmer longer. Has a silicone edge gasket and a finer mesh screen so far less "mud" in the cup.

I've got a pic of both somewhere I'll post.

I have a large Bodum Insulated press for home and the mornings, but I have just bhough the other half a stainless, insulated press/travel mug combo and the reports are very good so far. Keeps coffee warm and you can press and drink.

Fwiw the Bodum travel press keeps coffee hot for a long time. After two hours I'm still sipping, it's so hot. Four hours later it's still hot but cool enough to consume in long gulps.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I think I have two leads now between the Frieling and Columbia, I will lurk and wait for a good price then make a move.

New to this forum of B&B, but a big fan of the ease of french press. Espro was already recommended; I've had my eye on one for a while. For on the go, I preheat my Stanley one hand vacuum mug with some hot water and find it sufficient to pout the remainder of the french press in that.

I cannot speak highly enough of the Stanley. It is completely spill proof--I throw it in my bag and cycle away. I usually make the coffee about six hours before I drink it with no problem.

I'll back the ESPRO play. Very well designed, excellent for extraction, and the smooth surfaces give ease of cleaning too. Keeps a round of drink hot for a good long time too.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Allow me to bring up that you may very well want to decant your coffee from the French press once it is done brewing, as extraction will continue even after you've pressed down the grounds. It will continue more slowly, of course, but you're likely to notice a difference over the 30 minutes or couple hours that you keep the coffee in there, especially if it stays so hot.

I still love, use, and recommend my Frieling, but I don't let brewed coffee stand in it (or any other French press). It makes great coffee, and one of the reasons why is because the temperature stays constant during brewing.

What you really want for keeping brewed coffee warm is an insulated decanter.

Top Bottom