What's new

Need a good Sandalwood Soap

I fixed the spelling of the name of the store below.

A few interesting places around FC. The Shoppers Warehouse or whatever it is up the street at Seven Corners shopping center has some interesting Latin items, but its selection seems to be falling out. Looked like there were some potentially interesting Indian type stores out your way, say in Herndon, Fairfax, etc., that I have never gotten out to. If I can be of help to you in finding something in particular, let me know.

Thanks again for the recommendation. We are very fortunate to have so much international variety in this area! Likewise, please do let me know if there's anything I could help find for you. :thumbup1:

Thanks again for the recommendation. We are very fortunate to have so much international variety in this area! Likewise, please do let me know if there's anything I could help find for you. :thumbup1:

I have yet to find any local Indian store that carries any shavingn creams or soaps whatsoever or any recognization scented oils like the Nandita. Any ideas?

Or for that matter a place that consistently carries a wide selection of Pinaud/Clubman products! Rodman's iin DC on Wisconsin is the best I have found and they are pretty good, but do not have thinks like eau de quinine or vanilla.

I have yet to find any local Indian store that carries any shavingn creams or soaps whatsoever or any recognization scented oils like the Nandita. Any ideas?

Or for that matter a place that consistently carries a wide selection of Pinaud/Clubman products! Rodman's iin DC on Wisconsin is the best I have found and they are pretty good, but do not have thinks like eau de quinine or vanilla.

So far I've only found the typical Godrej creams, but no shaving soaps. I've a few more shops to browse, and will report if I find any such creams or soaps. As for Pinaud/Clubman, I've seen a couple products at a local barbershop. Also, I saw some Pinaud/Clubman Lilac Vegetal at Bed Bath & Beyond.

So far I've only found the typical Godrej creams, but no shaving soaps. I've a few more shops to browse, and will report if I find any such creams or soaps. As for Pinaud/Clubman, I've seen a couple products at a local barbershop. Also, I saw some Pinaud/Clubman Lilac Vegetal at Bed Bath & Beyond.

I have not even found the Godrej creams. Although the guy at Aditii in Vienna, Va keeps promising to get some shaving creams in. I bought his last alum bar, but he should at least get more of that. I have found those other places.

Clubman LV seems to be around, as does the base AS, and the Pinaud bay rum. Rodman's generally has the Eau de Portugal, Lime Sec, Citrus Musk, and Special Reserve. So I guess as of right now I am really missing a source for Clubman Vanillla and Eau de Quinine. Seems like I used to be able to get Osage, but I had to order it on the net when I wanted to actually buy it!

Do you happen to know of a local source for Superior 70 bay rum? Used to be able to get 750 ml bottles of it for about $3.50 in Seven Corners. But I bought their last 350 ml bottle the other night and I think I paid about $3.00 for it. They seem to only get the smaller bottles of it these days and are very uneven about keeping it in stock, and have never had the menthol or euceplyptus (sp?) versions, which I would love to try. It is the nnly place I have ever seen this stuff though and I go through lots of it. Bascially I use it to rinse an application of alum off. I do not think most BRs are affordable for that purpose! And I love the Pinaud, but it would set my face on fire!

I have not even found the Godrej creams. Although the guy at Aditii in Vienna, Va keeps promising to get some shaving creams in. I bought his last alum bar, but he should at least get more of that. I have found those other places.

Clubman LV seems to be around, as does the base AS, and the Pinaud bay rum. Rodman's generally has the Eau de Portugal, Lime Sec, Citrus Musk, and Special Reserve. So I guess as of right now I am really missing a source for Clubman Vanillla and Eau de Quinine. Seems like I used to be able to get Osage, but I had to order it on the net when I wanted to actually buy it!

Do you happen to know of a local source for Superior 70 bay rum? Used to be able to get 750 ml bottles of it for about $3.50 in Seven Corners. But I bought their last 350 ml bottle the other night and I think I paid about $3.00 for it. They seem to only get the smaller bottles of it these days and are very uneven about keeping it in stock, and have never had the menthol or euceplyptus (sp?) versions, which I would love to try. It is the nnly place I have ever seen this stuff though and I go through lots of it. Bascially I use it to rinse an application of alum off. I do not think most BRs are affordable for that purpose! And I love the Pinaud, but it would set my face on fire!

Madina Market in Herndon carries Godrej Rich Foam, Menthol Mist and Lime. I think it's $2.99 per tube. I have the Menthol Mist (it was my first real shave cream) - excellent stuff!
I haven't yet found Superior 70, but I've got a couple more shops to check. It was not in stock at the Herndon SFW, but they did have a few inexpensive import colognes, including a Tabacco, a Vetiver, and a Florida Water. I'll keep a look out for Clubman Vanilla and Eau de Quinine.

Madina Market in Herndon carries Godrej Rich Foam, Menthol Mist and Lime. I think it's $2.99 per tube. I have the Menthol Mist (it was my first real shave cream) - excellent stuff!
I haven't yet found Superior 70, but I've got a couple more shops to check. It was not in stock at the Herndon SFW, but they did have a few inexpensive import colognes, including a Tabacco, a Vetiver, and a Florida Water. I'll keep a look out for Clubman Vanilla and Eau de Quinine.

I like the Godrej Menthol Mist and I really like the Lime, even though I am not normally a huge lime fan. $2.99 a tube is a great deal on that quality of product.

What is SFW? Sounds like the right kind of store. I had not seen the Vetiver previously, but I did the other day. They usually have a sandalwood, too. Pretty good scents, really, but very light. Florida Water is great. Really starting to see FW lots of places like Giant Food. Which makes Superior 70 getting all the more scarce all the more disappointing! Thanks.

SFW is Shoppers Food Warehouse. I think all three (tobacco, vetiver and FW) were made in Mexico.
Back to the thread topic (sorry, all, for the divergence), Madina Market stocks lots of soaps, including a couple different mysore sandalwood soaps. There's another wonderful shop in the same plaza called Indo Pak Spices that carries a great selection of Indian soaps and other cosmetics.

hey all--I read some folks asking about nandita soaps so I thought I'd mention that I got a couple bars of "Nandita Santal soap" online.

The glycerin version does smell like the sandalwood oil, though much more subtle. There's another one that's based on palm oil and all the regular soap ingredients, and I'm still working on that scent.

They are both nice, but I think the scent of Caswell-Massey and Morny sandalwood soap is a little better, definitely stronger.

Tried the Mysore rose and jasmine versions this morning from the "gift box" I bought for $2.99. Pleasently, probably very natural, but not strongly scented, unlike the sw. The Mysore sandalwood is miles above those two scentwise. I find Mysore soap itself slightly drying, which is not a problem given everything else I use.

I would say that Bee and Flower's jasmine has a better and much stronger scent. I do not know off hand of a great inexpensive rose.

While ordering some blades, I got me Taylor Sandalwood body soap and a Three Crowns Sandalwood hand&body soap. I will let you know how I like them when I get them.

Top Bottom