What's new

Neck irritation: How did you cure it?

When I mapped my neck area I was shocked by how many directions my beard grew. ATG for me changes with every neck section! :angry:

I've been shaving my neck like I've been shaving it since I was 17. I'm going to let the hair grow out a couple of days and see the lay of the land in neck country.

-jim

I stopped getting irritation on my neck when I started doing two things.
1) I now shave before I shower (I know blasphemy :tongue_sm)

+1
Also when I'm done shaving, I re-lather my neck and leave the lather on while I'm cleaning up around the sink. Then rinse with cold water and apply alum. Wait a few minutes then shower. This seems to have cut down on the irritation a lot.

I've been shaving my neck like I've been shaving it since I was 17. I'm going to let the hair grow out a couple of days and see the lay of the land in neck country.

-jim

I'll be darned, I've been shaving my neck xtg 1st pass for 37 years.

-jim

Some good stuff in here! Whats working for me is building the right lather, and focusing on shaving with the grain near my adams apple (WHICH IS NOT N-S!), oh yea, and minimizing the passes I take I think has gone a long ways. Let me tell ya, its not going to cure irritation to keep stroking away at the irritated area. <----That didnt sound right... but Im rollin with it... So I think its helping to be smart about my passes if that makes any sense?! AHHH Who knows! But, I did get a good shave today so somethings going on here... :thumbup:

Yeah, I've just come to the realization that I will always feel a little bit of stubble on the neck unless I want to start bleeding and burning. It still looks good though and when I rub with the grain I don't feel anything.

Recently I've been truly methodical (fancy word for "anal") in my strokes. I'll do one stroke with the grain, switch to the othe side of the razor and do it again. Rinse the razor head, repeat. Keeping the razor clean and wet for each stroke, while kinda time consuming, really does keep you focused. I've been getting really good results with three passes, wig, atg and xtg. I've also been rubbing the stray bits of lather left after each pass into my neck and cheeks to see what needs attention, followed by a rigorous brush lather. My neck has really benefited from the "clean, wet razor" approach...I vaguely remember shaving with cartridges one side of my face, rinsing, and then doing the other side. And being satisfied with the results.
Ahhh, callow youthfulness (says the 53 year old who's only been doing this since January).

You need to know in which direction your hair grows so you can shave into the proper direction. Just let your beard grow for a couple days and go see in the mirror in which direction they grow. On my face my hairs grow almost horizontally so I need to adjust the passes I'm doing. You can even do 3 passes WTG, XTG and ATG on your neck without any irritations. Good luck!

Top Bottom