What's new

"Natural" Smelling Colognes

I got a sample pack direct from the house last year. I think I picked out ones based on basenotes recommendations and none of them were "vile", well, to me at least and I tend to like more traditional men's colognes. As far as longevity goes, 3 hours doesn't sound too bad compared to some colognes I've tried, and the topic makes clear, like anything, that longevity is going to vary per person. The main reason I suggested L'Artisan to BillC was because their scents tend to veer towards the non-traditional and from reading his posts, it's pretty clear he isn't really interested in traditional men's colognes. Chypres are pretty traditional and therefore I doubt he would like those. That's all I was pointing out.

BillC, if you want to try a chypre, PM me. I'll have to check, but I think I may have a sample vial of Monsieur de Givenchy I could send you.

Another option is Bath House's Spanish Fig & Nutmeg cologne (along w/the matching shaving soap :drool:). Very nice, low-key stuff.

I like this stuff a lot (haven't tried the soap).

I got a sample from Colonial Drugs in Boston. You can call them on the phone and they will send you a sample. Really a nice scent and doesn't smell at all like anything at the department stores.

BillC, if you enjoy sandalwood fragrances be sure to try out this sample pack as well...

Sandalwood - Perfect Sandalwood scents

I also must say I would still hesitate to recommend L'Artisan, as even though their colognes may in fact be "non-traditional" they are definitely in no way "natural" smelling to my nose. In fact, I have found some of their colognes to be extremely synthetic smelling (ie. Dzing!). I agree it's nice to see perfumers coming up with different concepts to keep the industry interesting, however, I can only accept L'Artisan's offerings for what they are, contemporary art pieces (albeit rather stinky and overpriced ones), and unfortunately cannot (in any way, shape, or form) recommend this house to others.

Pefumed Court is a cool way to try out scents, but if you can try something via another channel, I would do that instead. PC is expensive and I don't like that they send stuff in separate packages and they can take a long time also. I would buy from a reliable independent decanter (is rorshuck still around?), contact the house directly, or contact a webshop or out of state boutique by phone to inquire about samples before going the PC route.

Wild Fern by G.F. Trumper is another great "natural" scent. It reminds me of a forest after a good rain storm.

Thanks for the recommendation for the Bath House Spanish Fig and Nutmeg. Made an order from Barclay Crocker and requested a sample of it which they were nice enough to provide. Tried it today and really liked it - really smelled of fresh figs and nutmeg when I first put it on. Definitely a "gourmand" sent but very nice. Didn't last very long but this is one to consider purchasing.

Top Bottom