What's new

"Natural" Smelling Colognes

Another option is Bath House's Spanish Fig & Nutmeg cologne (along w/the matching shaving soap :drool:). Very nice, low-key stuff.

Crown Spiced Limes (discontinued unfortunately, have an extra bottle, may put it on the B/S/T at some point)

Meehan Bay Rum

Meehan Uplands

Diptique Tam Dao

Not sure how natural smelling but definitely not like modern men's colognes:

Monsieur De Givenchy

Dunhill 1934

I agree with the Diptyque Tam Dao and Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar recommendations. I don't have any experience with the rest.

You might also like CB I Hate Perfume's "colognes." I have tried a few so far; Burning Leaves, Wild Hunt, and Fire From Heaven.

These are not for everyone so I would definitely recommend you try samples of them first. You can get some from theperfumedcourt.com

I'm going to thrown in J. Peterman's 1903 and Christian Lacroix Tumulte pour Homme.

The 1903 is a very "foresty" smelling fragrance. Masculine but not overbearing and it's pretty cheap to boot. If you don't like it they go pretty quickly on the BST.

The Tumulte is pretty much pure cedar with a little spicy incense over the top. Great longevity. If you like cedar you'll like Tumulte. It's discontinued but can still be found online.

Thanks for all the replies. Enjoying hearing all the recommendations but wish it was easier to sample them all. I just ordered samples from Czech and Speak and from Truefitt and Hill. Trumper isn't doing samples until after Christmas and I'm debating between the Penhaligons Scent Library and their Men's miniature's gift pack for sampling Penhaligons. Also want to try Diptyque Tam Dao - all the raves for it have me really wanting to try it as well.

So, my Truefitt and Hill samples are in and I'm working my way through them and have smelled all of the colognes. I can't describe what makes colognes smell like "colognes" to me - but that's one of the things I don't like about a lot of scents. If I was blindfolded and you had introduced most of these scents to me I couldn't have identified what fragrance or house it was, but I could have told you it was a men's cologne. I really prefer fragrances that aren't immediately identifiable as a "cologne". I want them to integrate into me rather than be a smell on top - the difference between fragrance candles burning in a house and bread baking in the oven. Does that make sense to anyone?

Bill, I'm not a fan of T&H colognes but based on some of what you said in your last post, maybe colognes aren't for you at all. Most colognes go through three stages, top notes, middle notes, and basenotes. Even colognes that are very different from each other will share this basic structure and some ingredients or similar scent components to a very keen nose. This is basically what makes them what they are. If that bothers you, my suggestion would be to avoid almost any traditional scented liquid that is marketed as cologne or perfume or whatever. Chances are, you won't like it.

Now, what you might like are some more modern scents that focus on only one "note" or scent component. I don't have any specific recommendations per se, but this is a sort of trend in fragrances over the past few years. Some obscure, small fragrance companies will make scents like this. Or in some cases, a certain scent component will be so prevalent that it obscures everything else. Something like that might be up your alley.

You could also find some special "all natural" fragrances. The ones with the least number of scent ingredients might be to your liking. For example, a given fragrance might be composed of nothing more than lavender oil and some alcohol. You probably won't get a lot of recs on here for them because most of the members here are into traditional types of colognes.

Lastly, and this may be your best bet, try some essential oils. You can't apply these directly to the skin at full strength, but you can mix or dilute them with a "carrier oil" and then put that on your skin. You really can't get any more natural than that and it won't resemble a traditional cologne or fragrance. Look for a shop that specializes in aromatherapy...I'm sure there are lots of websites as well. Another thing to look out for are essential oils that have been mixed with wax or creme to create "solid perfume". For example, lavender oil might be mixed with beeswax and come in a little tin container.

Good luck.

Cvac,

Thanks for the replies and the suggestions. I thought I didn't like colognes and hadn't worn any scents for years. This was based on gifts that I didn't like and occasional strolls through the department store fragrance section. But I recently found several colognes that I like. Because the scents I liked were all marketed as being "essential oils" I was wondering if the thing that set these scents apart from the ocean of fragrances I didn't was the natural/synthetic aroma chemicals. Based on some feedback here and on Basenotes I don't think that's it.

I'm still trying to identify what it is that turns me off from so many scents. It's not the evolution as it dries down - I've found a couple colognes that I do like that change substantially as they dry down. But I don't like scents that smack you in the face and say - "I'm a cologne, smell me. " But I couldn't describe what note or notes give me that reaction.

Because I've had such a low percentage of scents I like compared to scents I can't stand I'm trying to figure out how to narrow the scents I sample and spare my nose.

I think giving some examples of what you do like might go a long way toward getting some recommendations. Also, just because a cologne says it contains essential oils doesn't mean its 100% natural. It could still contain a substantial amount of aromachemicals and synthetic ingredients. There are some colognes that are 100% natural (Meehans/Bonny Doon Farm makes some, for example), but you won't find them at department stores or even high priced fragrance boutique stores.

So, doesn't take long to say what I've found I like and have been wearing:

Burt's Bee's Bay Rum
Art of Shaving Sandalwood
L'Occitane Eau de L'Occitan

Today I'm sampling Truefitt and Hill Spanish Leather and rather like it as well. It's my favorite of the samples from T&H so far with 1805 and West Indian Lime yet to try.

List of what I don't like is too long list and I don't know the names of most of them. But recent trips to the department stores didn't turn over anything else I cared for. Although I did like some of the other scents at L'Occitane.

Bill, I've not tried Burt's Bay Rum, but if you like Bay Rum, you must try Meehan's Bay Rum. It's nothing but real rum, rosewater, and bay oil. That's as natural as it gets. I highly recommend it.

I also like the L'Occitane scent you mentioned, though that one is more like a traditional cologne than you might realize. It's definitely not all natural either, though probably does contain a fair amount of natural ingredients.

AOS Sandalwood I don't like very much at all. It should be called "pine and eucalyptus" cologne because I can't smell much, if any sandalwood in it at all.

The Spanish Leather was the only T&H sample I liked much at all, but I've heard Trumpers version is better. West Indian Lime is decent, but doesn't last very long on the skin at all. Citrus based colognes or colognes with a strong citrus component generally don't last very long.

Last edited:
Another option is Bath House's Spanish Fig & Nutmeg cologne (along w/the matching shaving soap :drool:). Very nice, low-key stuff.

Tried this yesterday at a store and left buying both. Definitely a "gourmand" scent but very nice. Great scent for the colder months. Kinda "warm and fuzzy". You might like this, BillC.

What store did you visit that stocked the Bath House Spanish Fig and Nutmeg? It definitely sounded interesting, but I didn't want to blind buy and haven't seen it in any local stores.

The store I went to is a specialty store and there isn't one in Atlanta. I would call Barclay Crocker and ask if they will send you a sample for a couple bucks plus postage. They carry the entire line, I believe, and I've heard they're pretty good about samples.

http://barclaycrocker.com/

Cvac - thanks, I wasn't familiar with Barclay Crocker. Just placed an order with them for a couple things and asked about a sample of the Spanish Fig and Nutmeg.

Warlandsboy - thanks for the recommendation. I haven't ordered any decants yet, I have another couple sample packs from fragrance houses on the way and don't want to get overwhelmed with too many things to try. Will need to do that soon and that sampler package you suggested looks interesting.

A chypre is a very traditional type of men's cologne. While I haven't smelled any of those scents in the TPC pack myself, if they are indeed chypres I somehow doubt you'll like them...probably too close to the general notion of what you consider a cologne to be and therefore wouldn't like.

One thing I did just think of, and maybe you've already explored this, is ordering some samples from L'Artisan Parfumeur from Lucky Scent. I got some of their samples last year and remember liking the Absinthe one.

See here:

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/category/152/page/1/brand/L%E2%80%99Artisan_Parfumeur.html

Maybe read through the descriptions and if anything strikes your fancy, order a sample. You could also do the same thing with other fragrance houses that people discuss on basenotes, etc.

Top Bottom