What's new

National Fruit Cake Day! :-)

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Know what day it is today
proxy.php

proxy.php

Although, the Mrs. and I haven't made any in years, we do like ours 'soaked' in brandy! :drool:

fruit-cake-1-jpg.845013
"A [x-mas] party without [fruit] cake is just a meeting". Chef Julia Child

Cut into the one i made in November, Christmas Eve, hope to be nibbling away at it for quite some time yet.
dave

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Cut into the one i made in November, Christmas Eve, hope to be nibbling away at it for quite some time yet.
dave
Johnny Carson would say you could still be eating it next Christmas with no ill effects!

I never got into fruit cake.. However I make date nut bread with walnuts and snack on them till done. Usually make 2 loafs and freeze one until Im ready for the second one.

I made too many again this year, will treat a few with brandy and enjoy them for Easter, I think. We make the traditional dark English one (very similar to plum pudding except no eggs) and I make a light one for people who don't like the dark one.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I grew up in a family of fruitcakes. Well, fruitcake lovers...

Every year I make about 35 fruitcakes, most of which get mailed out to a select list of people I refer to as "The Friends of Fruitcake." They're people I've met over the years who really look forward to that care package every December. the rest I save for me because fruitcake is my birthday cake every year, so I gotta get through until August.

I remember in about 1979 my mother discovered an old lard can up on the back of a high shelf in her kitchen pantry. It had fruitcakes in it she'd made in 1952. With a little fresh brandy, they were fabulous.

O.H.

Every year I make about 35 fruitcakes, most of which get mailed out to a select list of people I refer to as "The Friends of Fruitcake." They're people I've met over the years who really look forward to that care package every December. the rest I save for me because fruitcake is my birthday cake every year, so I gotta get through until August.

I remember in about 1979 my mother discovered an old lard can up on the back of a high shelf in her kitchen pantry. It had fruitcakes in it she'd made in 1952. With a little fresh brandy, they were fabulous.

O.H.

Thirty five cakes, i think i'm around $40 maybe $50 in ingredients for one cake.

I've started drying fruit for this years version, so far a quart each of apricots and sour cherries $7 each.
dave

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

O.H.
Johnny Carson was right about lots of things, but as I recall he hated it.

My dad taught me to appreciate it.

Fruit cake was probably on Noah's ark. It may well outlast cockroaches!

I have been eating fruitcake since I was a kid. We made it at home at Christmastime. Unfortunately, it is difficult to find fruitcake except in December. Fortunately, you can make fruitcake in December and keep it in the refrigerator all year without spoiling, especially if you put a ripe apple in the center. The ethylene released by the apple is a natural preservative.

Of course, with online shopping, you can purchase fruitcake any time of the year now.

One of my favorite fruitcakes was made by Hostess bakery. However, when the bakery went bankrupt, only a few of the most popular Hostess brands were retained by the new owner. Thus, I now have to look elsewhere for my holiday tradition.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I used to run a fruitcake rescue shelter. I would post notices at work starting in November, that I would accept any fruitcake anyone cared to give over. Lots of people give them, apparently only a few like them. I offered, among other things, to provide a short but careful analysis with sensory keywords they could use to spice up their thank-you note to the giver. Hey, gonna offer a service, gotta work on it...

I got a lot of truly awful cakes that are probably still unchanged where they are buried 20 years later. I also got some very nice cakes, both homemade and commercial. Basically it was a way to get free fruitcake!

And yeah, they're not cheap. Then you have mailing -- I think my mail toll was about $250 last year.

O.H.

Top Bottom