What's new

Nate's "Trust Your Edge" Straight Journal

congrats on the new coti!! and congrats on great shave for sure!!.....today wasn't the greatest for me, so I'm glad some one else had a great one!

Nate,

What size is that current coticules in the picture (50 x 125)?

Sounds like another wonderful shave with that Swedish beauty. Like the description of the AV feeling like water with no sting.

Mentioned in Chris' journal that after reading about all the wonderful smooth, keen edges you, Chris and Juan are getting with the coticules - I am finding myself checking out TSS and SRD for them. I am checking out the gateway stone - the Belgian Blue as well, as it will raise less scrutiny with the wife.

congrats on the new coti!! and congrats on great shave for sure!!.....today wasn't the greatest for me, so I'm glad some one else had a great one!

Thank you very much Juan and I am sorry you did not get an equally as great shave today. Hopefully tomorrow will yield better results:thumbup: I am really excited about the new Coti coming in. Should be here Monday, (Hopefully early and on Saturday, but Monday at the latest I am sure).

Nate,

What size is that current coticules in the picture (50 x 125)?

Sounds like another wonderful shave with that Swedish beauty. Like the description of the AV feeling like water with no sting.

Mentioned in Chris' journal that after reading about all the wonderful smooth, keen edges you, Chris and Juan are getting with the coticules - I am finding myself checking out TSS and SRD for them. I am checking out the gateway stone - the Belgian Blue as well, as it will raise less scrutiny with the wife.

I do not think I could ever get a bad shave with the Ivory Clad Queen Pete, this razor is just so simply agile and perfect it is beyond my comprehension.

The stone in the photo is actually 50x113mm. Very small stone yet also very impressive edges come out of it. The thing I love most about this one is that not only is it a natural Coticule with the original BBW back side but it is right at that perfect size to be used as a handheld OR a bench style honing stone. Either way yields terrific edges with this one.

after reading about all the wonderful smooth, keen edges you, Chris and Juan are getting with the coticules

well Pete while I appreciate the thought...."I" never got a good edge with a coti....unless some one else put it there for me!! :thumbup:

Now I will say that I shaved with edges that were synthetics, films, coti's and jnats....and I always felt that a good coticule edge (something I could never do)...gave me the smoothest, most comfortable shaves...I was a never an edge master, I just know what my face tells me!

I will say that while I never took the time to become a proficient honer...it is great watching all you guys turn in to them!...now I know where to send my razors!!

You sir are an Enabler! [emoji6]

I learned from some of the best Enablers on this wonderful Site LOL [MENTION=89999]skypsyd[/MENTION], @cmh737, [MENTION=75490]imatabor[/MENTION] LMAO

well Pete while I appreciate the thought...."I" never got a good edge with a coti....unless some one else put it there for me!! :thumbup:

Now I will say that I shaved with edges that were synthetics, films, coti's and jnats....and I always felt that a good coticule edge (something I could never do)...gave me the smoothest, most comfortable shaves...I was a never an edge master, I just know what my face tells me!

I will say that while I never took the time to become a proficient honer...it is great watching all you guys turn in to them!...now I know where to send my razors!!

You are absolutely right, as I am currently out of razors to hone Mi Razor Casa Es Su Razor Casa LMAO I abslutely LOVE Honing these wonderful devices LOL

Hi Juan,

Well my alter - ego Slowhone is currently more of a ham-handed honer. I just received a good shave but it seemed in spite of the edge on the Torrey. I wouldn't send a splitting maul near me for quite a while [emoji3] .

Hi Juan,

Well my alter - ego Slowhone is currently more of a ham-handed honer. I just received a good shave but it seemed in spite of the edge on the Torrey. I wouldn't send a splitting maul near me for quite a while [emoji3] .

LMAO It just takes 3 very Key Ingredients my Friend.... Time......Focus......and Quality Stones my Friend

I learned from some of the best Enablers on this wonderful Site LOL [MENTION=89999]skypsyd[/MENTION], @cmh737, [MENTION=75490]imatabor[/MENTION] LMAO

We're here to help :lol:

LMAO It just takes 3 very Key Ingredients my Friend.... Time......Focus......and Quality Stones my Friend

And one more.....Patience (at least for me - a virtue that I am trying to acquire). Meaning, when the edge doesn't come out just right - don't get too bummed out - just try it again. :001_cool:

We're here to help :lol:

And one more.....Patience (at least for me - a virtue that I am trying to acquire). Meaning, when the edge doesn't come out just right - don't get too bummed out - just try it again. :001_cool:

LOL and without Y'alls Enabling I would be no where near where I am now with the shaves or the gear to maintain that level of shave:thumbup:

Absolutely correct, Patience is indeed required because some of the initial edges are gonna hit your face like fingernails on a chalk board hit your ears. Much Wincing and a whole lotta YIKES!:lol:

Straight Shave # 114: "Frederick Reynolds Friday"

The Weapons Of Choice:

The Strop(S): 2 1/2" Tony Miller Heirloom Old No. 2. 40/80/25 Cotton/Leather/Leather.
The Prep: 10 Minute Shower with some nice hot water running over the mug accompanied by massaging the whiskers.
The Pre: Pantine Pro-V Conditioner rubbed in to set while showering.
The Brush: Rubberset 400 W/27mm Silvertip
The Soap: TAOS NOS Sandalwood Tallow Formula.
The Razor: 6/8 Frederick Reynolds Near Wedge (5th Shave Since Honing 1k/6k/12K Guangxi/Black Hard Ark)
The Post: TAOS Lavender ASB with a good wipe clean and drying of the blade and scales inside and out and 40/80 Cotton/Leather on the strop.

This Morning's Thought's:

Well today the Beastly Wedge gave me a terrific DFS+ to BBS- Shave everywhere in only a Single Pass WTG. Amazing results from minimal effort for sure. As always the TAOS NOS Sandalwood performed Great and the ASB was soothing and moisturizing for the mug with no hint of irritation :thumbup1:

Wishing everyone a GREAT! Friday and weekend ahead :thumbup:

This Morning's Hardware/Software Selection:

View attachment 635125

My NEW Arrival!!! Got here TWO DAYS EARLY!!!!! WOOOHOOO, this is one schmexy Coticule for sure! I love the coloring striations on this thing, gonna play around with it tomorrow with my ERN 32 to see what I can bring out of it:thumbup1:

$20160206_161413-1.jpg

Top Bottom