What's new

Nate's "Trust Your Edge" Straight Journal

Straight Shave # 110:

The Weapons Of Choice:

The Strop(S): 2 1/2" Tony Miller Heirloom Old No. 2. 40/80/25 Cotton/Leather/Leather.
The Prep: 10 Minute Shower with some nice hot water running over the mug accompanied by massaging the whiskers.
The Pre: Pantine Pro-V Conditioner rubbed in to set while showering.
The Brush: Rubberset 400 W/27mm Silvertip.
The Soap: TAOS NOS Sandalwood Tallow Formula.
The Razor: 6/8 Erik Anton Berg Shark (4th Shave Since Citicule Honing)
The Post: Pinaud V.I.B.R. with a good wipe clean and drying of the blade and scales inside and out and 40/80 Cotton/Leather on the strop.

This Morning's Thought's:

Good afternoon my Friends. First off, I have been in Contact with Dave and he said he should be able to get back on later in the week. His Absence is very much Justifiable and out of Respect I will not go into detail here. He wanted me to say Hi to all and he misses Y'all as well. Please Keep him in your thoughts and prayers though as he needs all the support, friendship and understanding he can get right now. Please also keep Larry and his Friend Rob in your thoughts and Prayers as well my Friends.

The Shave today was nothing less than expected from the Swedish Blade with the Coticule Edge, it was super smooth, no irritation, nicks cuts or weepers of any kind, just a wonderfully efficient 2 1/2 pass shave resulting in a solid BBS++ Everywhere with a spectacular combination of scents with the Sandalwood and VIBR mixing terrific and having really good longevity as well:thumbup:

Wishing you all a Great Week:thumbup:

This Morning's Hardware/Software Selection:

View attachment 634260

Good afternoon Nate,

A 2.5 pass BBS++ is a great shave and a very good way to start the day.

Sandalwood and Bay Rum - will have to try it. I was recently introduced to sandalwood scent - and likely will pick up a soap with that scent as I liked it. From reading though soap forums - it seems similar to bay rum in that the scent profile can be all over the place.

Keep up the good shaves and the pics

Good afternoon Nate,

A 2.5 pass BBS++ is a great shave and a very good way to start the day.

Sandalwood and Bay Rum - will have to try it. I was recently introduced to sandalwood scent - and likely will pick up a soap with that scent as I liked it. From reading though soap forums - it seems similar to bay rum in that the scent profile can be all over the place.

Keep up the good shaves and the pics

You are absolutely correct there. The best one I have smelled is the TAOS Old Stock Tallow Version. Their new stuff is just lacking something in my opinion, mainly the slickness of the tallow formula I think. Other brands I have smelled also smell quite a bit different depending on the manufacturers ingredients and where they source their fragrance profile from. Same with the Bay Rum from what I gather. I know I like the Pinaud version though so that one will always be a staple in my Den along with the Lilac Vegetal Scent as well. Both are amazingly strong, long lasting and to me at least, a very nice scent.

Did a really fast touch up on the ERN 32 Crown and Sword last week/weekend, (Can't remember exactly which day I did it on). But it did not give me exactly what I was looking for when I shaved with it so I decided to take it to the Coticule with some serious zeal. I did a Medium Slurry and honed it down to nearly water only with just quick spritzes until the slurry was nearly gone. Then I washed the blade and the stone to clean everything up really well and did water only laps until it just felt right. Now it looks to be in phenomenal shape and I will be using it tomorrow morning to test the edge for "Tortoiseshell Tuesday" Shave:thumbup:

The Razor and Stone:
View attachment 634303

Close up view of the Edge itself:thumbup::
$20160201_171854-1.jpg

Straight Shave # 111: "Tortoiseshell Tuesday"

The Weapons Of Choice:

The Strop(S): 2 1/2" Tony Miller Heirloom Old No. 2. 40/80/25 Cotton/Leather/Leather.
The Prep: 10 Minute Shower with some nice hot water running over the mug accompanied by massaging the whiskers.
The Brush: Rubberset 103 W/22mm Silvertip.
The Razor: 5/8 ERN 32 Crown & Sword (1st Shave Since full Coticule Honing)
The Post: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal "The Veg" with a good wipe clean and drying of the blade and scales inside and out and 40/80 Cotton/Leather on the strop.

Good Morning Everyone. Please Keep Dave in your thoughts and prayers to get through a tough time. He should be back on here later in the week.

After the simple touchup last time with the ERN, although it was a great shave, it just seemed to be lacking something. So, I took it to the Coti again last night and did the progression above. BINGO! Nailed what was missing and was rewarded with an ultra smooth and comfortable shave this morning resulting in a superb BBS++ in 2 passes as I am used to getting. Of course The Veg is always a win when it comes up in the rotation and it pairs very well with the NOS Sandalwood Tallow TAOS Soap as well. No blood loss or irritation of any kind this morning so a terrific shave all around :thumbup:

Wishing you all a Great Week:thumbup:

View attachment 634394

great work with the coti Nate...that edge looks fantastic!! Congrats on a great shave! beautiful pic as well....believe it or not, as much as I love my Clubman products I am yet to try The Veg...one of these days. Have a great day!

great work with the coti Nate...that edge looks fantastic!! Congrats on a great shave! beautiful pic as well....believe it or not, as much as I love my Clubman products I am yet to try The Veg...one of these days. Have a great day!

Thank you Juan and I absolutely love the coticule edges. They are not the sharpest but they surprise you every time with how close they get with how comfortable they are.:thumbup1:

Straight Shave # 112:

The Weapons Of Choice:

The Brush: TAOS Fine Badger.
The Razor: 5/8 GENCO Master Cutler(2nd Shave Since Slight touch up on the Arkie)
The Post: Old Spice Classic A/S with a good wipe clean and drying of the blade and scales inside and out and 40/80 Cotton/Leather on the strop.

Good morning everyone and not a whole lot to report today, Great shave BBS++ with the "Murphy Mangler" face is smooth as glass and zero irritation or burn from the Old Spice. Great post shave feel and scent. I did see some red on the edge of the blade in the lather but I cannot for the life of me find where it came from LMAO so I guess it could not have been all that critical.

Wishing everyone a Terrific Wednesday :thumbup:

View attachment 634588

Nice shave there Nate! No burn from the AS and face as smooth as glass are the rewards for doing it right - from prep to lather and razor technique.

Nice shave there Nate! No burn from the AS and face as smooth as glass are the rewards for doing it right - from prep to lather and razor technique.

Thank you my Friend, I really enjoyed this mornings shave all day, more than 12 hours later and I am just starting to detect stubble starting to be able to be felt on my face. I really wish I could figure out where the blood came from, most likely a micro abrasion of some sort that sealed itself up nearly instantly as this was an extremely close shave. I am going to have to REALLY think about what to buy next because the Razor set I have is absolutely perfect, I am able to produce consistent and reproducible edges on all of them. I have a full set of 4 amazing shave soaps and one cream that I love beyond compare. I have a full 5 day rotation of brushes, One hand crafted by me, One Store Bought but amazing in it's own right, one that was an active duty PIF and 2 that were stellar restorations that came out far beyond perfection. So now I am pointing my attention towards a few more coticule stones since I have found that I absolutely LOVE the edges I get off of the one natural coticule that I currently own. Decisions, Decisions LMAO:lol:

Great to get the razors/brushes/soaps down to what work very well for you.

Collecting a number of coticules could be a whole new (and costly) rabbit hole [emoji195]

Great to get the razors/brushes/soaps down to what work very well for you.

Collecting a number of coticules could be a whole new (and costly) rabbit hole [emoji195]

LOL Yeah my Wallet is 120 Bucks lighter tonight LMAO It is a Rabbit Hole though that I am more than excited to wander down :w00t:

You sure have that coti dialed in, Nate - awesome!!! :thumbup1:

Thank you Chris, I am really loving this stone for sure so I just Ordered a #10 Select Bout to add to the Coticule Lineup and see if I can max it out at a little bit keener edge :thumbup1:

Way to go Nate! Sounds like you have got it all falling in to place....just don't get complacent...that's when I would get bit!

Way to go Nate! Sounds like you have got it all falling in to place....just don't get complacent...that's when I would get bit!

Thank you very much my Friend;

LMAO I know right, I have always GOT to be on my A Game with some of these edges I have done. That is why the GENCO has the nickname it does. I almost lost my left Tragus with this little monster a while back. It sliced right through it on a fresh Arkansas edge:lol:

Nate you are the total package!
Where did the blood come from?....Maybe you are so sharp that you cut your razor?:tongue_sm

ROTFLMAO!!!!! Thank you John LOL I really needed that laugh this morning my Friend. That is entirely possible too, because I still never found where it could have come from on me LOL

Straight Shave # 113:

The Weapons Of Choice:

The Brush: Omega 49 Boar.
The Razor: C.V. Heljestrand MK*31 "The Queen of the Den" (3rd Shave Since Coticule Honing)
The Post: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue with a good wipe clean and drying of the blade and scales inside and out and 40/80 Cotton/Leather on the strop.

I was gifted with an extraordinarily smooth and trouble free shave from "The Queen" this morning. My face feels so danged nice I cannot even describe it. Smooth as silk and soft as a mink blanket. Even the Aqua Velva gave me strictly the cooling feeling that it is supposed to, felt like water going on and then started that Menthol Blast it is known for. I just pulled the Trigger last night on a new Coticule a Select #10 Bout that is of fair size and thickness from the Superior Shave so after much discussion with them it seems to be exactly the stone I am looking for. Larger than what I have now, yet a superb finisher. Should be a lot of fun to learn the ins and outs of this one with the odd shape LOL Pictures will follow once I have it in hand as well of course.

Wishing everyone a GREAT! Friday's Eve :thumbup:

View attachment 634814

Top Bottom