What's new

NanoLapTech.com Still in Business?

I received an alert that my lapping film will be delivered tomorrow, so I stopped by Home Depot and looked at the bull nose tile, but could find any that was truly flat, according to the builder's squares that they had. Luckily, there's a glass place in my area, and I stopped in and picked up a large piece of glass for $10.

088BDACE-AA81-40CF-8CCF-52EC6A07DA3D.jpeg

It's thick and large enough to steadily free-hand hone on. I remember you posting that you were looking at buying a larger piece to use? I thought about grabbing one for you, but I don't know how I could get it to you without the National Rugby Team (a.k.a, U.S.P.S.) destroying it. Iirc, it's 8x10 - the perfect size to hold as shown. Flat and smooth, should be easy to rinse clean and without bubbles. I've got a dull Wapi that I will learn on.

I received an alert that my lapping film will be delivered tomorrow, so I stopped by Home Depot and looked at the bull nose tile, but could find any that was truly flat, according to the builder's squares that they had. Luckily, there's a glass place in my area, and I stopped in and picked up a large piece of glass for $10.

View attachment 1142282

It's thick and large enough to steadily free-hand hone on. I remember you posting that you were looking at buying a larger piece to use? I thought about grabbing one for you, but I don't know how I could get it to you without the National Rugby Team (a.k.a, U.S.P.S.) destroying it. Iirc, it's 8x10 - the perfect size to hold as shown. Flat and smooth, should be easy to rinse clean and without bubbles. I've got a dull Wapi that I will learn on.

nice, a little big to hand hold.

arent wapiencas famous for their straightness or lack of that?

nice, a little big to hand hold.

arent wapiencas famous for their straightness or lack of that?

I like the way that glass plate feels. Positioned as shown, it's quite stable and comfortable. No idea about the Wapi's reputation. I picked it up years ago, back when they were cheap and plentiful, and never got around to shaving with it. Just pulled it out of the hard plastic coffin, and it's dull. Now that I've got a good assortment of lapping film, I intend to remedy that.

Last edited:
The film came in:

C5CC7820-1A97-4C56-8B4A-BDE2F4C6129F.jpeg

No cutting needed - that's ^^^^ the full sheet. Plenty of real estate. After running the glass under the faucet and laying the film on it, I lightly ran a rolling pin over it to squeeze the air bubbles out. I'll double check before starting. I'll run the progression, tomorrow.

@Slash McCoy I couldn't wait, and started the honing, probably 20 minutes after UPS delivered it. I went through the entire progression, from 30 to 1 micron, being careful to keep the blade flat, since the stainless scales have heft. I finished off with CrOx, and then plain leather stropping. I am happy to report that what was originally a butter knife, is now tree topping so easily, that I had to check for hair on the edge, just to verify that it was actually cutting. My first shave with it is tomorrow. 👍

My order with them..... shipping was super expensive??? what did you guys pay for shipping? And yes it took a while to get in touch and order sorted.....

About to dive into honing with lapping film, looking for a site that sells sheets of 3M quality film, preferably
8 1/2" x 11", single sheets that I can order multiples of and NON PSA backed.
I gave NanoLap a call, the person I spoke with said they sell to industrial sites and referred me to a company that carries their products called SharpoSharp @ SharpoSharp.com.
The closest they come is a set of 8 sheets of PSA backed 8 1/2" x 11" containing 40 micron, 30 micron, 12 micron, 9 micron, 5 micron, 1 micron and 0.3 micron grade sheets. No non PSA backed sets.
Amazon not really helping me out.
Thorlabs seem to sell only in bulk, though I must admit their web site is not the most user friendly.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

About to dive into honing with lapping film, looking for a site that sells sheets of 3M quality film, preferably
8 1/2" x 11", single sheets that I can order multiples of and NON PSA backed.
I gave NanoLap a call, the person I spoke with said they sell to industrial sites and referred me to a company that carries their products called SharpoSharp @ SharpoSharp.com.
The closest they come is a set of 8 sheets of PSA backed 8 1/2" x 11" containing 40 micron, 30 micron, 12 micron, 9 micron, 5 micron, 1 micron and 0.3 micron grade sheets. No non PSA backed sets.
Amazon not really helping me out.
Thorlabs seem to sell only in bulk, though I must admit their web site is not the most user friendly.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Taylor Toolworks has been where I've ordered from. Taytools.com I think is the website.

Taylor Toolworks has been where I've ordered from. Taytools.com I think is the website.
Contacted Taylor Toolworks, and it doesn't look like they will sell individual sheets of customer specified grade.
They sell in sets of 10 sheets, one sheet of each grade ranging from 60 micron to 0.05 micron. This ends up approx. $2.50 per sheet and contains several grades I am not interested in. I'd like to get 3 or 4 sheets each of specific grades (30,15,9,3,1 microns) for a better price per sheet. Anybody have some other suggestions?

Contacted Taylor Toolworks, and it doesn't look like they will sell individual sheets of customer specified grade.
They sell in sets of 10 sheets, one sheet of each grade ranging from 60 micron to 0.05 micron. This ends up approx. $2.50 per sheet and contains several grades I am not interested in. I'd like to get 3 or 4 sheets each of specific grades (30,15,9,3,1 microns) for a better price per sheet. Anybody have some other suggestions?
They sell a variety pack: 3M™ 10 Sheet Set Non-PSA Lapping Microfinishing Film (AO) 8-1/2” x 11”Default Title - https://taytools.com/products/9-sheet-3m-non-psa-lapping-microfinishing-film-812x11?variant=17805183844403

You probably won't need the two coarsest and the two finest grits but this is what I've ordered in the past. Unfortunately it's only one sheet of each but it will get you through quite a few razors for not a huge investment.

They sell a variety pack: 3M™ 10 Sheet Set Non-PSA Lapping Microfinishing Film (AO) 8-1/2” x 11”Default Title - https://taytools.com/products/9-sheet-3m-non-psa-lapping-microfinishing-film-812x11?variant=17805183844403

You probably won't need the two coarsest and the two finest grits but this is what I've ordered in the past. Unfortunately it's only one sheet of each but it will get you through quite a few razors for not a huge investment.
Yep, that's what I'm thinking. Thanks.

Top Bottom