What's new

NanoLapTech.com Still in Business?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Has anybody been in contact with this guy? I have emailed twice with no response and I liked his prices and product last time I ordered film from him a few years ago.

Not you being confused but me. I thought the forum was for shaving related so was interesting to know now it posts for other stuff too.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Not you being confused but me. I thought the forum was for shaving related so was interesting to know now it posts for other stuff too.
You haven't been around here very long, I take it. Lapping Film is used for honing razors. I would think that it would be obvious. Let's see... high tolerance abrasive sheet. Razors. Straight razors in particular. Which if new or if found in the wild must be made sharp. Hmmm.... is there a connection there? Before you get all snarky, make sure you know who you are talking to and what you are talking about, would be a good policy that would leave you looking much smarter than you just made yourself look. IOW, sometimes it is best to just say nothing. I think the ancient Chinese had a proverb related to that. Something about better to remain silent and appear to maybe be a fool, than to open mouth and prove it for sure. One of them there "Confucius say" things, maybe. Pretty sensible guy, that Conrucius. Anyway welcome to the forum. You can learn a lot here.

I dont think the guy/gal was trying to be "snarky" and did not say anything IMHO out of context. I agree with @global_dev . And the guy/gal admitted to being self-confused and likely just did not know. I think the purpose of this forum is for folks to say things even if innocently they are wrong or incorrect. I dont think not saying anything is going to teach or pass on knowledge if something is not shared amicably.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I dont think the guy/gal was trying to be "snarky" and did not say anything IMHO out of context towards the policy. I agree with @global_dev . And the guy/gal admitted to being self-confused and likely just did not know.
Yeah. Maybe I was a little hard on him. But back to my original question, has anybody dealt with Nanolaptech lately?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Update, answering my own question. For some reason he never received my emails. I called the number on the website and got my order in at a buck a sheet. His 26M is essentially the same as the 3M product, but at close to wholesale prices.

Update, answering my own question. For some reason he never received my emails. I called the number on the website and got my order in at a buck a sheet. His 26M is essentially the same as the 3M product, but at close to wholesale prices.

Slash, I'm looking at buying a supply of films, per your suggestion. What would you recommend to have on-hand? Everything from touch-ups, all the way to starting over with a dull Wapi?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You will use 1u film a lot, if you are not using the pasted balsa progression for finishing and then the .1u balsa for maintenance. If you are doing touchups on 1u film then you will use twice as much of it as other grits. I suggest 30u, 15u, 9u, 3u, and 1u. You can use a 320 to 600 grit and a 1k to 2k grit stone in place of the 30u and 15u films. Or you can use similar grit wet/dry sandpaper. That is for bevel setting. Then of course the 9u, 3u, and 1u films. If you use the coarse lapping film for bevel setting you will go through it about 3x as fast as the midrange grits, so get more of those two coarse grits than the three midrange grits. In the midrange grits, figure you get between 12 and 20 razors per piece, three pieces from each sheet. You will likely mess up a few pieces learning how critical it is to get it placed correctly with no lint or dust or bubbles under it. As a beginner maybe figure on 5 sheets of each mid range grit and a dozen sheets each of the two coarse grits. That ought to keep you honing for a very long while, for not a whole lot of dough.

I
You will use 1u film a lot, if you are not using the pasted balsa progression for finishing and then the .1u balsa for maintenance. If you are doing touchups on 1u film then you will use twice as much of it as other grits. I suggest 30u, 15u, 9u, 3u, and 1u. You can use a 320 to 600 grit and a 1k to 2k grit stone in place of the 30u and 15u films. Or you can use similar grit wet/dry sandpaper. That is for bevel setting. Then of course the 9u, 3u, and 1u films. If you use the coarse lapping film for bevel setting you will go through it about 3x as fast as the midrange grits, so get more of those two coarse grits than the three midrange grits. In the midrange grits, figure you get between 12 and 20 razors per piece, three pieces from each sheet. You will likely mess up a few pieces learning how critical it is to get it placed correctly with no lint or dust or bubbles under it. As a beginner maybe figure on 5 sheets of each mid range grit and a dozen sheets each of the two coarse grits. That ought to keep you honing for a very long while, for not a whole lot of dough.

I'll make an order, later this week. Thanks, Slash.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Let me know if there's a rep that you deal with, or a referral number, and I'll use it, so that you'll get the credit on your account.
Pretty sure it is just a one man shop, and I don't get any favors for referring. His prices are already cheap enough he really can't offer anything.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Dear god I haven't seen embedded flash on a website since 2005. He must have a loyal customer base
Meh. Website bells and whistles not important. And yeah he handles a good product for a good price and I don't think he has a minimum order quantity either. Getting the good stuff from him, not ebay/amazon crap that isn't real lapping film at all. The only seller I really like besides him is Thorlabs.

Top Bottom