What's new

Naniwa, Chosera, or Shapton 1K?

I've been using the DMT 600/1200 for bevel setting for awhile and as much as it works for me, I just prefer a narrow hone.

I want to get a new bevel setter that is narrow (1.5" or so), so I'm assuming I need to buy one that can be cut in half.

The shapton's with the glass backing seems like they would be difficult to cut in half, but they are attractive to me as I don't think they need lapping (correct me if wrong on this) and rarely need deswarfed. Also, I've read that the Naniwa 1K needs lapped often and deswarfed often and I'd rather not have to deal with this. IS the Chosera any better in this regard?

Anyone out there ever cut one of these in half (or does anyone out there want to split a 1K stone with me :tongue_sm).

For those that have used any of these, how do you rate them (especially useful if you've used a DMT to compare).

Edit: Any other 1K stones I should be looking at?

I've been using the DMT 600/1200 for bevel setting for awhile and as much as it works for me, I just prefer a narrow hone.

I want to get a new bevel setter that is narrow (1.5" or so), so I'm assuming I need to buy one that can be cut in half.

The shapton's with the glass backing seems like they would be difficult to cut in half, but they are attractive to me as I don't think they need lapping (correct me if wrong on this) and rarely need deswarfed. Also, I've read that the Naniwa 1K needs lapped often and deswarfed often and I'd rather not have to deal with this. IS the Chosera any better in this regard?

Anyone out there ever cut one of these in half (or does anyone out there want to split a 1K stone with me :tongue_sm).

For those that have used any of these, how do you rate them (especially useful if you've used a DMT to compare).

Edit: Any other 1K stones I should be looking at?

You may find this interesting: http://www.jendeindustries.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SHAP&Store_Code=JENDE

I can't speak for the other 2 but I've got Shapton Ceramic Pro stones and I couldn't be happier with them.

Let me know if you're looking at getting rid of the DMT. I'm in the market for a Duo 600/1200.

I can't speak for the other 2 but I've got Shapton Ceramic Pro stones and I couldn't be happier with them.

Let me know if you're looking at getting rid of the DMT. I'm in the market for a Duo 600/1200.

Mine is kind of worn because I initially used it for lapping. The 600 is fine and I use that for bevel setting mainly, but the 1200 is basically shot.

They can be had reasonably cheap on amazon, but not sure in australia how easy they are to find.

Really looking at the shapton at the moment.

You can't get the DMT's in Australia. It also seems that everywhere that sells them, that will post them to Australia, wants over $30 postage.

Just a quick response - I don't want to overstep the boundaries. Joe, please PM me with any questions about cut stones. You can also contact Ken123 (another vendor here), who I am working with on this. We have 1x6 and 2x3 as standard sizes, but other sizes can be custom cut. The 1x6 is just right for razor honing. I've been using both Shaptons and Choseras this way with very good success.

We aren't cutting up the Shapton Glass stones now, but if your razor is under RC 63, the Shapton pro stones work just fine.

As for the 1K stone question, the Chosera 1K is much more solid than the super stone 1K, and a lot faster. The Shapton Pro is little more solid than the Chosera. The Shapton 1K Glass is a little softer if not equal to the Chosera. All in all, these 3 stones are probably as good as it gets for speed, consistency and wear rates. A little coarse grit texturing and/or a little slurry make them all even faster. (You might need to read that twice! :tongue_sm )

I hope that helps! :lol:

The Chosera also needs soaking, if I recall from what I've heard.

John: The DMT Diasharps are really heavy, probably the heaviest "stone" out there. The Duosharps aren't so heavy but more expensive (and bulky if you get it with the stand). $30 for shipping for a Duosharp sounds like it probably includes insurance. And all DMTs are made in the US (just outside of Boston, in fact), so they're obviously going to be cheaper here. If you want any help trying to ship one to Australia, though, PM me.

Just a quick response - I don't want to overstep the boundaries. Joe, please PM me with any questions about cut stones. You can also contact Ken123 (another vendor here), who I am working with on this. We have 1x6 and 2x3 as standard sizes, but other sizes can be custom cut. The 1x6 is just right for razor honing. I've been using both Shaptons and Choseras this way with very good success.

We aren't cutting up the Shapton Glass stones now, but if your razor is under RC 63, the Shapton pro stones work just fine.

As for the 1K stone question, the Chosera 1K is much more solid than the super stone 1K, and a lot faster. The Shapton Pro is little more solid than the Chosera. The Shapton 1K Glass is a little softer if not equal to the Chosera. All in all, these 3 stones are probably as good as it gets for speed, consistency and wear rates. A little coarse grit texturing and/or a little slurry make them all even faster. (You might need to read that twice! :tongue_sm )

I hope that helps! :lol:

Very helpful - thanks! I'll probably be PMing you some time in the future. Currently in the process of moving and want to get settled before getting a new stone.

Just thinking out loud at the moment. I just hone a lot of smiling razors and find the DMT a pain with them.

The Chosera is thick enough that you can stand it up on the edge and use it as a skinny hone for warped/smiling razors.

Tom, I didn't know these benefited from soaking. I have been using mine just like the shapton pro's, splash and go. Thanks for the heads up.

The Chosera is thick enough that you can stand it up on the edge and use it as a skinny hone for warped/smiling razors.

Tom, I didn't know these benefited from soaking. I have been using mine just like the shapton pro's, splash and go. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks Bong - I'm actually thinking of getting a full sized shapton glass 1K and maybe a cut down chosera....

Just kind of tired of the DMTs and think there has to be a better bevel setter.

Last edited:
I'd recommend the Shapton Pro 1K. I've always been a fan of the Shapton Pro line. I've been using the Shapton Pro 2K as my bevel setter with great success so I can't imagine the 1K not being suitable.

I don't buy razors in bad shape so I doubt I'll need something coarser but if I do, then I will look into the Bester 700 or something comparable. I don't use the DMTs anymore.

I use 1k Chosera and I like it a lot.
I used to soak them but they work just fine with splash and go, they are soaked in a few minutes of work anyway.

Well once I get settled in my new place I'm probably going to spring for a full sized shapton pro 1K for straight edge razors and a narrow cut chosera 1K for smiling razors. Thanks for all the help :thumbup1:

Well once I get settled in my new place I'm probably going to spring for a full sized shapton pro 1K for straight edge razors and a narrow cut chosera 1K for smiling razors. Thanks for all the help :thumbup1:

Actually Joe, you can use the Shapton pro on edge too. I forgot I have done this before. You just gotta be careful it doesn't tip over while you are doing this.
How much is Tom charging for the cut Chosera? maybe I could buy the other half.

You can do smiling razors on a full size hone .

Top Bottom