What's new

Name your FAVORITE American Straight Razor Maker (1 only please)

Genco:Only blade I feel truley safe around.
proxy.php

I've owned both red imps and temperites and wasn't really impressed with them, thus they are no longer in my den. I do want to get one of the higher end models, but when you can get other American blades for 1/2 to 1/3 as much because of less hype it's hard to spend the money on Case's.

No love for Genco's yet though, which is surprising too.

Oddly enough.... Genco was created when WR Case & Son's bought Geneva cutlery's razor division. :wink2:

If the Robeson I sold was a 6/8 or larger and the scales didn't look like crap I might say it's a tie. That razor was really sweet but I prefer larger blades.

They did. I have two 6/8" Robeson ShurEdges. One's got celluloid faux tortoise scales with bolsters! Bolsters! And a little pouch with a button clasp!

I couldn't name just one because I like so many. Probably a Geneva since it was the razor that started me on American steel.
If you're interested in history then get a Cattaragus Cutlery.
Case Brothers, W.R. Case & Sons, Union Cutlery, Crandall Cutlery, Kinfolks, Little Valley Knife, Standard Knife, Western Cutlery, Kane Cutlery, Alcas, Robeson Cutlery and Burrell Cutlery all evolved from the Case family's start at Cattaragus.
Robeson was the most innovative in the invention and use of new materials.
Shumate was said to use special steels and cast steel from innovative artisan foundries/forges in/near St. Louis.

Since my only experience is with antique blades I will have to go with Worcester Razor I prefer them over the others I have tried.

don't really own an american custon yet.. but I have been thinking real hard about going with something from Max Sprecher Customs but can't seem to find much about him in the forums. Anyone care to comment about his work?

don't really own an american custon yet.. but I have been thinking real hard about going with something from Max Sprecher Customs but can't seem to find much about him in the forums. Anyone care to comment about his work?

Max is pretty much considered the best straight restoration person in the business. I don't think you can go wrong with anything from him. He's a perfectionist.

I need to qualify my opinion with my personal experience which is limited.

I'm sure there are at least a few very interesting razors out there being made in the USA, but I can't pick a 'favorite' from a photo.
Hart razors for example - I'm sure they're very good - And I know Ellis' razors must be freaking awesome; but I have not had the pleasure of even touching one or the other.

I've had a couple/few Case straights, 4 Torreys, 1 Robeson, 1 Brian Brown custom.

My favorite here is the one from Brian.

If the Robeson I sold was a 6/8 or larger and the scales didn't look like crap I might say it's a tie. That razor was really sweet but I prefer larger blades.
The Torreys I had (still have one but I don't shave wth it anymore) would tie for 2nd place with the Robeson.
The Case razors were - to me - nearly as good as the Torreys but for whatever reason I didn't love them so very much.

Which is funny, because that Robeson you sold is the only American-made razor I've used to date, so it's gotta be my favorite. I rescaled it - they did look like crap - but it is a sweet shaver. There's a Butch Harner on the way, and I'm on Brian's waiting list, so I'm imagining it might not be king of the hill too much longer.

Top Bottom