What's new

Name that razor......

It's Walter!
(sorry, old Garfield episode :biggrin1:)

Update: I just posted my reply automatically after reading the title, didn't look at any other posts, and now I see Micah beat me to the joke....but, mine is from the aforementioned Garfield episode, the one with "name that fish"

That's a Double Edge Safety Razor.

Actually, if I had to hazard a guess I'd guess that it's a "Made in China" brand. They pick one product a year to churn out, and then produce in obscene numbers driving the price down. They usually stick with halloween items, but I bet they made this razor too. A few years ago it was fog machines. Then it was lava lamps. Last year I believe it was an axeworthy ghost that goes "wooooeeeeooooh" and the year before that it was those little cauldrons that look they have fire in them.

There are no markings on the razor.

The box does say made in the U.S.A. and printed in the U.S.A.

I found it at the local Catholic Charity store for 25 cents. I suppose stumping the experts is impressive, but I would rather know what it is.....

Bruce

The lack of a brand name and the plain box makes me think it might be a military issue.

Then again, the military tends to name everything backwards, i.e. "Razor, Safety, Double Edge."

If, as I suspect, the head and cap are both light gauge sheet metal stampings and the handle is made from aluminum hex stock, the razor appears to be the same as several I have. The only difference I can perceive from your picture is that my boxes don't have the red stripes near the ends.

As far a name for these razors, the kindest one I can come up with is "Junk".

Regards,
Tom

I have a similar one, except not plated and no red stripe on the box. Mine came off E-bay with 2 WW2 era hones, so it is probably wartime manufacture. Back then the big boys were busy producing razors and blades for the military and the door was opened for other companies to make cheapo razors for the civilian population.

I would imagine that in 1946 most of them went out of business as Gillette/Schick/Gem returned to normal production.

The other Bruce

Top Bottom