What's new

Name That Layer!

View attachment 134027

View attachment 134028

View attachment 134029

I just recieved it yesterday and lapped it last night so i haven't had a chance to hone anything with it yet. It appears to have like redish or brownish freckles or pores on some parts of it. I haven't recieved my loupe yet so i can't take a closer look. It also looks like dirt or residue is on it although it just appears this way because after lapping all the "dirt" stayed on the stone. Let me try to take some more pics out in the sunlight and see if i can capture these freckles. I'll also take some more side shots.

I can't name the layer but I think you'll find it to be a good finisher thats pretty fast. Bart will chime in when he makes his rounds. richmondesi seems to hit them pretty good too. I can see the Garnets very well it looks like a great stone to me.

No the sparkles are the garnets. I am not sure what mineral is causing the freckles.

We may not be talking about the same thing, but I would have guessed otherwise.

What I find interesting about this hone is that the the 'reddish/brownish freckles' (what I would the garnets) seem to occur entirely within the ~short, light-colored, almost parallel worm-like features (Post #6, Pic #3).

Last edited:
Its a La nouvelle Vein, I have one from that layer and it looks the same..

Nevermind, someone answered that for me! :lol:

Tips:

The stone is going to a little tough to figure out, but stick to it. This layer can be insanely fast in slurry, mine turns the slurry black (with steel) in about 10 half strokes but in water it's the slowest stone I own. What this means is you're going to have to figure out how to dilute the slurry to water to make the blade become keen off the slurry, otherwise you go to water too fast and you're just polishing a dull edge. Unicot works as normal with this stone though, so you can do that if you want to try it over the dilucot.

When I use this coticule I tend to dilute slower and use more strokes when I get halfway through the dilution step to max out sharpness without polishing too fast.

I too think that we're looking at a La Nouvelle Veine.

As to what the sparkles and the freckles are, I don't know.
Somehow, I doubt they have anything to do with spessartine garnets.

While these crystals occur that large in nature sometimes, the garnet size within Coticule has been reported by scientific research to be 5-15 micron. What we're looking at is in any case much larger than that. Such spots can be observed in many Coticules and BBW's. If they were hard garnets, they would be very noticeable (and harmful!) in a slurry, because garnets do not break down in smaller fragments. It appears to me that they are of a much softer substance, soft enough to abrade flush with the surface during use.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Such a wealth of information as always guys. Thanks again for your help. It's taking some time but i'm learning. :wink2:

Since reading this i have been thinking, is there a place were i can read about the different Coticule veins. What i mean is, what was said above about the La Nouvelle Veine being fast with slurry and slow with water. Is there anywhere that lists the different veins and how they act with slurry and with water. I know it is a natural stone and everyone is different but judging by the responses here there is a basic guideline for each layer.

If you go on Coticule.be and look inside the Vault you will see an explanation of how the coticules work (by clicking on their photo). Usually you can figure out how the layers act after reading a few that are from the same layer.

Have fun reading.

Since the La Nouvelle Veine is slow with water it makes a very mellow edge thats nice to the skin, you'll like it.

Top Bottom