What's new

Name that GEM

Hello folks,

I've decided to start using the GEM that I got awhile ago, but I'm curious as to what kind it is:

proxy.php

*note- I took the image outside because the lighting in my house sucks

It's marked with a 1912 where the handle screws in, but other than that I've never seen one like this.

I'd guess a late '20's to '40's Gem 1912 Travel razor. One reason that I'm guessing those years is because the bar guard is rounded at each corner, a design that was used up to end of production of the 1912, wheras the earlier models have a barguard that sticks out a little farther at each corner. I will post a photo of a Gem Travel razor that came with an instruction sheet that has a 1922 copyright date compared with a later 1912 with a "chain link" type handle as soon as I can get it loaded.

Ah, here it is.

View attachment 58767

The Gem on the left came with the 1922 instruction sheet and the model on the right came with a box that I once saw in a 1930's advertisment. Notice the difference in guards. The Gem on the left has a guard that is identical to an older "Damaskeene Blades Only" 1912 that I have and the model on the right has a guard identical to a Gem Junior "Parade", which was produced later in the '30's to '40s. Also that razor has teeth that are different thicknesses, every other tooth is thicker than it's neighbor. Mycon's Gem in his photo has teeth that are the same thickness. But please remember, I'm just guessing.

i just learned something.....i never noticed the difference between the combs. I can't wait to the SE version of ACHIM (Mr-Razor) gets through curating! :smile: :thumbup:

i MUST have that handle. trade me for it.

Hello folks,

I've decided to start using the GEM that I got awhile ago, but I'm curious as to what kind it is:

proxy.php

*note- I took the image outside because the lighting in my house sucks

It's marked with a 1912 where the handle screws in, but other than that I've never seen one like this.

I'd guess a late '20's to '40's Gem 1912 Travel razor. One reason that I'm guessing those years is because the bar guard is rounded at each corner, a design that was used up to end of production of the 1912, wheras the earlier models have a barguard that sticks out a little farther at each corner.

its clearly a mismatch handle/head. most likely a lady gem set from the late 1910s (referring to the handle of course).

Thanks for the info everyone!

D.Irving79- I would be happy to trade it to you, but let me see if I can find a replacement to use in the interem. Currently the GEM is the ONLY razor I have (DE's vintage and new included) that does not aggravate the ingrown section on my throat. The lady I bought it from at the show had another one which actually looked identical to the one on the right in VolpeVerde's image (thanks for that great info btw!) I went to her shop earlier in the week to see if it was still there, but most of her razors were still packed from a show in Idaho.

Ironically, Fnord5 told me to contact you about it when I posted it in "The Score" section back in late March, but then retracted the statement thinking he had made a mistake

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=82923&page=13

I'll let you know sometime tomorrow afternoon.
Edit: Since it's already midnight I guess I mean later today :p

Last edited:
i just learned something.....i never noticed the difference between the combs. I can't wait to the SE version of ACHIM (Mr-Razor) gets through curating! :smile: :thumbup:

I had never noticed the difference either! Now I have to go and look at mine. Thanks for pointing out the difference! Can't wait for our curator to finish his work, I know it will be worth the wait. Thanks Dave! :wink:

Man AD is a cruel mistress...
Replacement acquired and then some Techs...

Anyway, you should know that the handle has some odd damage. There's some sort of grooving on several parts of it:
proxy.php

It was like that when I bought it. It's yours if you still want it.

Edit: The "replacement" has tiny handle too, only I think this one actually matches the head. It still has the aforementioned balance point issue, so maybe a Micromatic open-comb trade?

Last edited:
that almost lookslike a guy had it , decided he wanted to make a travel version, put it on a lathe to grind out the notches, but tried it on a wood lathe or something, and slipped out or something...

I know. I've never seen anything like this on a razor handle. I wonder if it's a manufacturer's defect because the plating still seems pretty uniform even in the notches.
Regardless, I figured mentioning it would be the gentlemanly thing to do.

Man AD is a cruel mistress...
Replacement acquired and then some Techs...

Anyway, you should know that the handle has some odd damage. There's some sort of grooving on several parts of it:
proxy.php

It was like that when I bought it. It's yours if you still want it.

Edit: The "replacement" has tiny handle too, only I think this one actually matches the head. It still has the aforementioned balance point issue, so maybe a Micromatic open-comb trade?

this was definitely shortened from a standard handle. no dice my friend :001_smile

I know. I've never seen anything like this on a razor handle. I wonder if it's a manufacturer's defect because the plating still seems pretty uniform even in the notches.
Regardless, I figured mentioning it would be the gentlemanly thing to do.

These handles are solid brass.

Top Bottom