What's new

N00b here!

Hello, everyone! :001_005:

I spent a long time lurking, hoping to learn without making yet another message forum account, but I couldn't resist as I'm sure I'll have questions.

I'm Kat or Katia; I live in Metro Detroit and I've been intrigued by safety razors for years. A friend recently mentioned that her boyfriend had gifted her with a straight razor (I don't think she plans to use it, but it's a Sweeney Todd replica so she's geeked out ) and that reminded me of this... and I decided to finally go for it, especially since I'm getting tired of the price of cartridges and looking for a better alternative (oh, okay, and I'm also the Girl Anachronism...). So, trying to gather info here! So much helpful stuff: thanks, guys. (and thanks in advance because I'm sure I'll be full of questions...)

I'm currently trying to decide between an EJ DE89L, and a Lady Gillette. I'm leaning toward the former, in part because it can be bought new (I haven't the first idea how to evaluate them on eBay nor even yet how much they should cost; that's one thing I haven't searched here yet... although I love the vintage appeal of the Lady Gillette), in part because it got such great reviews, and in part (rant here) because I am always very mistrustful of women's shaving products. {I learned way back in middle school or so that if it's for women, it's pretty and pink and it doesn't work worth the effort of lathering up one's legs (I had one lovely little purple thing that left me with stubble AFTER I shaved...), so I've insisted on using men's shaving products since (also, I'm not a "girly girl" and pink and white and lavender just don't do it for me, but that's secondary to performance). If that's the case with the Lady Gillette as well, I'll stick with a men's razor happily. Not all that worried about mild; a few nicks won't kill me (I'm an uber-klutz and also work out and such--and I used to be a skater-- so nicks and bruises are a way of life to me, lol. I only draw the line at, say, severing major blood vessels. :biggrin1: ). But I do like the idea of the longer handle-- not sure how that compares to the DE89? I'd appreciate any advice on the matter, especially if anyone's used both (and oh yes, before someone makes an attempt at enabling-- I thought of getting both and comparing but then slapped some sense back into myself, lol.)}

I'm also doing a browse around for vegetarian-friendly products and am starting to figure out all of that as well, but if anyone would like to rec no-animal-testing/no-animal-products that they love, I'd appreciate the shortcut as well.

It's good to be here and add to the female ranks, and to keep learning!

Welcome to B&B!

You should get along fine. The EJ razors are good, and eventually you will probably find a nice vintage razor or two. Any thoughts on brushes and soaps or creams yet? The lather makes the shave.

Welcome to the forum, Kat! i used to live in Windsor, right across the river. Hee hee.
The EJ89 is a very nice razor and you will be please with it. You should, at some point, also get a Lady's Gillette as they are good shavers for the legs.
If you want a veggie soap, Mama Bears soaps are all veggie and Mike's Natural Soaps have a veggie option. Both very nice soaps.
Good luck.

Welcome to B&B!! My fiance uses the Lady Gillette on occasion, but prefers the Merkur 23c. Both have longer handles which she likes. The 23c is a little more aggressive to her and gives better feedback she says. The EJ has quite the following on here though and are highly thought of.

Thanks, everyone!

I know I'm going to go with a synthetic brush ("one that looks nice, and not too expensive" :) ); I've considered horse hair as well as I know the horses aren't killed, but I'm still not sure I'm comfortable with it as I'm not sure whether they are kept well nor how much tail hair is left for them to swat flies with!). Haven't decided on the soap yet (but I'm definitely leaning toward soap. It's a bit of a nostalgia thing, as I vaguely remember my dad having a shaving mug and soap when I was a kid. Also I just like messing around with stuff, lol, so making lather with soap will be much more fun!). Wherever I decide to order from, I'll probably research their soaps and see which brands they carry that are veg-friendly. Barring that, I've found some veg soaps on Etsy as well, and I'm sure I could check Whole Foods and the like.

Welcome to the forum, Kat! i used to live in Windsor, right across the river. Hee hee.
The EJ89 is a very nice razor and you will be please with it. You should, at some point, also get a Lady's Gillette as they are good shavers for the legs.
If you want a veggie soap, Mama Bears soaps are all veggie and Mike's Natural Soaps have a veggie option. Both very nice soaps.
Good luck.

Welcome to B&B Kat. +1 to the above, also Mama Bear soaps are made next door in Wisconsin if that makes a difference to you, and can be ordered directly from her website. Mike's is from NY, and it appears you can also order directly from the website, though I couldn't find shaving soap without Tallow, you may want to email mike to see what options would be available to fit your needs.

Welcome to B&B. And let me be the first to congratulate you for slipping in the Dresden Dolls and Python references. :biggrin1:

Don't feel squicky about horse-hair brushes. Manes and tails are routinely trimmed as part of regular grooming. It's not like they're shaving the poor beasts down. Of course, if you're vegan, then any animal-derived product is out of the question.

Hi Katia, I’m a newbie too. I’ve got the EJ89 and I love it. Yes it’s my first razor but so far so good. It’s relatively inexpensive and it handles very well even in my big paws. I highly recommend it.
Welcome to B&B!

Thanks everybody! Yeah, I was looking at the Mama Bear soaps as they look fabulous and wondering if the glycerin was vegetable-derived. Very cool! Thanks for all the recs, everyone! Off to drool over the possibilities now. :) Well, and read more and more and more...

Welcome to B&B. And let me be the first to congratulate you for slipping in the Dresden Dolls and Python references. :biggrin1:

Don't feel squicky about horse-hair brushes. Manes and tails are routinely trimmed as part of regular grooming. It's not like they're shaving the poor beasts down. Of course, if you're vegan, then any animal-derived product is out of the question.

I can't believe you caught the Dresden Dolls ref. I know about four (maybe??) people in the world who would've "gotten" that, lol.

TBH with you, my worry on the horsehair is that it seems to me it would take an awful lot to make enough brushes for commercial sale (especially since surely not all of the hair would be usable)... and I've known very few people who've trimmed their horses at all, except perhaps for a show (and then not much further than the peed-on parts of the tail, which I hope they DON'T use, lol), so I couldn't imagine how they would get enough hair just from normal grooming. But perhaps there are far more horses in Spain than I think and they are much tidier than the American horses I've known. :)

(Clearly the solution is simple. I need a horse of my own. Of course, I've been saying that all my life... and not really sure how to convince my apartment management people... and the only time there was ever a horse in the family, she was an Appaloosa so no help... well, and it was long before I needed to shave, too!)

Top Bottom