What's new

Mystery Tumbler Media

I picked this up at the local gun store for $10. Looked pretty much the same as some modern Hornady Walnut media, but I've never seen this before.

Anybody have additional info?
IMG_20190608_221104988.jpg

I dunno....I buy untreated 20-40 corn cob by the 40 pound sack for about 35 bucks. I put NuFinish car polish in it. It does a great job.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Dunno neither, but if it looks like walnut media, it probably is walnut media, perhaps treated with a polishing agent? I like walnut over corn cob media as it is small enough that it usually doesnm't get stuck in the primer flash hole. I like to de-prime before using a vibratory case cleaner. Still leaves some primer residue in the primer pocket, but not much if you run it long enough.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Looks like it comes with corn cob ... I use both.

Do throw the stuff away eventually; it picks up mercury from primer residue. I am guilty of overusing, especially walnut, which is pricier.

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Looks like it comes with corn cob ... I use both.

Do throw the stuff away eventually; it picks up mercury from primer residue. I am guilty of overusing, especially walnut, which is pricier.

AA

I use walnut indefinitely, but I add unscented dryer sheet strips which absorbs most of the dusty residues and discard the strips after each use.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I use walnut indefinitely, but I add unscented dryer sheet strips which absorbs most of the dusty residues and discard the strips after each use.

Very good idea. I don't fear lead toxicity - much - though I probably should (ah, the sweet smell of lead-melt). Mercury, though, is more of an unknown ...

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm sure the dryer sheets don't get rid of everything, but they significantly reduces the amount of dust that otherwise accumulates in the media and on the polished brass. Super easy to use and worth the effort.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I'm sure the dryer sheets don't get rid of everything, but they significantly reduces the amount of dust that otherwise accumulates in the media and on the polished brass. Super easy to use and worth the effort.

I just found out, one can take a dryer sheet and rub it on their skin to ward off mosquito's. Seems dryer sheets are versatile.

Very good idea. I don't fear lead toxicity - much - though I probably should (ah, the sweet smell of lead-melt). Mercury, though, is more of an unknown ...

AA
Might help with a stray syphilis infection?

I get corn cob media in Toledo for under $20/50lb bag from The Andersens. Also use the NuFinish car polish. I wet tumble with stainless pins first, the corn cob media is strictly to put a coat of wax on the shiny brass to reduce tarnishing. Slick enough to generally avoid case lube as a bonus.

Used dryer sheets cut into strips will definitely help with the dirt, dust, and other stuff. Keeps the media cleaner, just replace the strips between batches. Been doing that for years.

Top Bottom