What's new

Myrsol mania!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Does anybody know whether Myrsol is still planning to go back to their old bottle design?
I've never used their stuff, and one of the reasons I wanted to try it is because I liked the bottle! Man. I'm always a day late and a dollar short doggone!

How ugly is the new bottle?

I've never used their stuff, and one of the reasons I wanted to try it is because I liked the bottle! Man. I'm always a day late and a dollar short doggone!

Not a big fan of their new bottle.. Initially the bottle design was what made me buy Myrsol, but Agua Balsamica has become my favourite splash. (still have 0,5l left in a refill bottle) Their emulsion is awesome too!

IMG_4841.jpg

FarmerTan

Not a big fan of their new bottle.. Initially the bottle design was what made me buy Myrsol, but Agua Balsamica has become my favourite splash. (still have 0,5l left in a refill bottle) Their emulsion is awesome too!

View attachment 1676029
My friend, this question is probably a stoopid one, but does it smell anything like balsamic vinegar salad dressing? I don't think I'd wear it if true. I assume my valued friend @Marco is rolling his eyes at me?

My friend, this question is probably a stoopid one, but does it smell anything like balsamic vinegar salad dressing? I don't think I'd wear it if true. I assume my valued friend @Marco is rolling his eyes at me?
I don't really get balsamic vinegar from it, it does have a slight gourmand scent but more comparable to fresh herbs used for season meat. There's enough lavender in it to give it a spa twist if that makes sense. I find it really calming.

FarmerTan

I don't really get balsamic vinegar from it, it does have a slight gourmand scent but more comparable to fresh herbs used for season meat. There's enough lavender in it to give it a spa twist if that makes sense. I find it really calming.
Lavender is really my favorite scent. It is undoubtedly the one I would miss the most. And I doubt I'm alone in that obsession!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Lavender is really my favorite scent. It is undoubtedly the one I would miss the most. And I doubt I'm alone in that obsession!
Dear Dave, yesterday I bought some small French Lavender sacks while in Marseille and in the town of Aix-en-Provence. I was told the excellent natural Lavender fragrance is going to stick around for many months! Needless to say I LOVE Lavender, too!! :001_wub:

IMG-20230623-WA0012.jpg

FarmerTan

Dear Dave, yesterday I bought some small French Lavender sacks while in Marseille and in the town of Aix-en-Provence. I was told the excellent natural Lavender fragrance is going to stick around for many months! Needless to say I LOVE Lavender, too!! :001_wub:

My lovely daughter in law (and in love, such a sweet girl) loves Lavender. My son brings her to lavender festivals all over the place! They are very blessed with each other.

Does anyone know whether Myrsol is even still in business..?
It seems like stocks are running out completely everwhere. What's going on ...?

Does anyone know whether Myrsol is even still in business..?
It seems like stocks are running out completely everwhere. What's going on ...?
One of the bigger EU webshops just confirmed a restock in the coming weeks so I'm assuming Myrsol is still in business. Hopefully they'll now return to their old bottles.

One of the bigger EU webshops just confirmed a restock in the coming weeks so I'm assuming Myrsol is still in business. Hopefully they'll now return to their old bottles.
Thanks, that's good to know..!
On the bottles:
I mostly have Myrsols in the old bottles, but I got one new bottle recently. I have to say I think the new ones are really nice bottles too. Given a choice, I might prefer the new bottles actually. They have an "old school" feel to them just like the old bottles, but they are bigger (I think 200 ml as opposed to 180 ml), and they are even beefier. I like the extra volume, and beefy as hell bottles, they are like a Leica camera ...! That goes for the white screw cap on the new bottles too.

I don't know if you already saw my post above from earlier this summer, but as of today, if I had to choose just one over the other, my vote would be for the new glass bottle. It's 180 ml like the old bottle, does not have the finger grooved sides like the old glass bottle, but it just as an incredibly beefy feel to it (the cap too) which I absolutely love! The new Myrsol glass bottle has got to be one of my overall favourite aftershave bottles.

It has been a Myrsol summer for me ...!
By now I have acquired some experience with the Balsamico, Metisol, K (mint), Blue, Formula F/Extra, and Antesol. There are none which I do not like.

My top pick remains the Metisol (Thyme, with Alum and menthol). For me it works great as a daily astringent splash right after shaving, where I then subsequently use a different aftershave on top. But it also works fine as a stand alone daily aftershave.

The K I only use occasionally when I want a menthol kick, as such it is nice, but it won't be a regular aftershave for me.
Same goes for the Antesol, and the Balsamico.

My two other favourites of the bunch are the Blue, and the F/Extra (more on that below).

On the bottles:
Of the above, I got all but the F/Extra in the old glass bottles (with finger grooves), and the F/Extra in the new glass bottle (without finger grooves). As I wrote just above, my favourite bottle is the new glass bottle. The bottle and the cap are both just incredibly beefy, has the feel of an old Leica Camera (myth has it that you can run over this legendary camera with a semi truck and still use it afterwards, camera body being machined out of one solid chunk of metal).

I have ended up liking Myrsol enough over the summer that I also got myself three of them in the 1000 ml version. Its a heck of a deal (here in Europe), 1000 ml costs almost the same as 180 ml ... So I just refill the glass bottles that I already have.

The three are Metisol, Blue, and F/Extra (favourites are in that order). They are pretty much all I have used most of the summer.

While I think Metisol is unique (perhaps remotely resembling Speick a bit), I find that both Blue and F/Extra compare to other similar fragrances, yet are sufficiently different to each earn respect in their own right.

With regards to the F/Extra:
I am a deeply devoted and long time Floid lover, and yes, I was first approaching Myrsol because I read about F/Extra being similar to Floid, in the context of Floid Vigoroso being discontinued. I agree they resemble one another, but I also think they are each sufficiently distinct that you can't just replace one with the other. F/Extra has a somewhat weaker and shorter lasting scent compared to Floid Vigoroso (more similar to Floid Genuine), whereas I find that F/Extra has a hint of oak moss (or something else resembling Pinaud Clubman a bit), Which Floid definitely does not!
This oak mossy thing took some getting used to for me (I am not a fan of Pinaud Clubman), but overall I have come to really like the F/Extra.

As for Blue:
I have a long term comparative exploration of "Blue aftershaves" going. Not even very far in that voyage yet, But I really like both Aqua Velva and Epsilon blue mediterranean, which I compare with the Myrsol Blue. I find the Myrsol Blue very attractive as a "daily driver" because it is less sticky than the Epsilon, and less floral than Aqua Velva.
I could not walk around smelling of F/Extra every day, Myrsol Blue is more agreeable to me for everyday use (along with Metisol -- I actually often use the two together).

Too bad I discovered this string so late, I am playing catch up here, several years after it started..!

Last edited:
For me, Antesol is the pick of the Myrsols: I just love the face feel, the kick, and the scent.

Balsamica is a lovely scent, but is more subdued in terms of face feel. F./Extra I find to have a similar face feel to the Balsamica, but a more pronouned barbershop scent. Floïd Vigoroso, to me is closer to Antesol in all respects, except the strong camphor scent, which initially I struggeld with but now love.

If I had to rank them:
  1. Antesol
  2. Vigoroso
  3. F./Extra
  4. Balsamica
In any event, along with Speick, these are hands down the best aftershaves I have found. :thumbup:

For me, Antesol is the pick of the Myrsols: I just love the face feel, the kick, and the scent.
Thank you @silverlifter for returning my attention to the Antesol. Since your post, I have used it every day, and I now realize I didn't do justice to it in my first assessment. It really is a very fine aftershave, as you write, both in terms of kick, face feel, and scent. Will definitely have to take that study a little further ...

Top Bottom