What's new

Myrsol Blue and Metilsol - mini review

Thought I would post my thoughts re these two aftershaves after receiving from Gifts and Care recently.

For some context:
For colognes I like very spicy/woodsy type scents e.g. Aramis Tuscany, Bulgari Man. Shaving soaps that remain in my permanent rotation for reasons of scent are Tabac, Proraso Red, QCS Rose Otto, TOBS Avocado and Speick. I also have a skin that doesn't need moisturising - not quite oily but I prefer alcohol rich aftershaves and can't use a balm for more than 3 days running without my skin feeling greasy.

Till now I have used Tabac and Floid Blue as my main aftershaves as I got both quite cheaply a couple of years back and now that both are running low I needed to find an alternative. I seriously considered going with Speick and Musgo Real but wanted to give something cheaper a go with the aim of rather spending more on a cologne - note I have to import all of the above. Enter Myrsol

Myrsol Blue
Gave this a go due to the comparisons with Floid Blue. I can definitely smell the similarity but it has much less of a sharp alcohol smell than the Floid, the feel on my skin also seems to bear this out. Would say it smells softer and more powdery. I don't experience any cooling or alcohol when using it. For me this is a bit of a downside as I enjoy that. Scent disappears quickly as expected and doesn't interfere with cologne.
Performance wise it is middle of the road and leaves my skin comfortable. Maybe "meh" is an appropriate summary.

Myrsol Metilsol
Chose this one because of the advertised astringent qualities. For me the scent is straight thyme i.e. smells like dried thyme from the kitchen. My wife also smells menthol, even after application - I don't. My brain still struggles with the thought of a thyme scented aftershave yet it works well with the other scents I like and, again, doesn't last very long.
Where this AS shines is the performance, the toning effect on my skin is wonderful - tightens right up and feels great without feeling dried or starved. This is a keeper for me based on that alone. Would I prefer a more complex scent - yes - but it is fleeting and just love the feel of it. Again I get no burn or cooling with this.

For those of you with the other versions I would like to know:
- does Agua Balsamica smell like the Metilsol?
- what do Formula 'C' and Plastic Shave smell like?
- any of the others with similar performance to Metilsol?

I am probably going to have to try some of the F/Extra as I have never tried the non-blue Floids so have no idea of the scent.

cheers

Plastic shave is a nice menthol "seet" scent,Balsamica is more rosemary and herbs,C is minty,K has a bigger dose of menthol in a more cologne type base...

Thanks for the reviews. My sense is that the Agua Balsamica is a bit more rounded in scent and lighter on the face when it goes on, but yes, the two scents are pretty similar. As far as an AS/astringent goes, I prefer C.O. Bigelow's minty skin tonic and the Thayer's witch hazel line to Metilsol. Myrsol "C" is great, lilac and minty, a subtle cooling effect. Myrsol "F" is great too, powdery and caramel leading to a menthol finish--not unlike Vitos in the powder and caramel dept., but a bit stronger than Vitos overall, which lacks the menthol kick at the end.

Thank you for the feedback gentlemen,
Looks like I will be adding Plastic, "C" and a bottle of La Toja splash to my order for a 1l bottle of Metilsol.
Will also try and track down some Thayers to try - unfortunately it is, once again, imported so only place I have found it charges accordingly.

Thought I would post my thoughts re these two aftershaves after receiving from Gifts and Care recently.

For some context:
For colognes I like very spicy/woodsy type scents e.g. Aramis Tuscany, Bulgari Man. Shaving soaps that remain in my permanent rotation for reasons of scent are Tabac, Proraso Red, QCS Rose Otto, TOBS Avocado and Speick. I also have a skin that doesn't need moisturising - not quite oily but I prefer alcohol rich aftershaves and can't use a balm for more than 3 days running without my skin feeling greasy.

Till now I have used Tabac and Floid Blue as my main aftershaves as I got both quite cheaply a couple of years back and now that both are running low I needed to find an alternative. I seriously considered going with Speick and Musgo Real but wanted to give something cheaper a go with the aim of rather spending more on a cologne - note I have to import all of the above. Enter Myrsol

Myrsol Blue
Gave this a go due to the comparisons with Floid Blue. I can definitely smell the similarity but it has much less of a sharp alcohol smell than the Floid, the feel on my skin also seems to bear this out. Would say it smells softer and more powdery. I don't experience any cooling or alcohol when using it. For me this is a bit of a downside as I enjoy that. Scent disappears quickly as expected and doesn't interfere with cologne.
Performance wise it is middle of the road and leaves my skin comfortable. Maybe "meh" is an appropriate summary.

Myrsol Metilsol
Chose this one because of the advertised astringent qualities. For me the scent is straight thyme i.e. smells like dried thyme from the kitchen. My wife also smells menthol, even after application - I don't. My brain still struggles with the thought of a thyme scented aftershave yet it works well with the other scents I like and, again, doesn't last very long.
Where this AS shines is the performance, the toning effect on my skin is wonderful - tightens right up and feels great without feeling dried or starved. This is a keeper for me based on that alone. Would I prefer a more complex scent - yes - but it is fleeting and just love the feel of it. Again I get no burn or cooling with this.

For those of you with the other versions I would like to know:
- does Agua Balsamica smell like the Metilsol?
- what do Formula 'C' and Plastic Shave smell like?
- any of the others with similar performance to Metilsol?

I am probably going to have to try some of the F/Extra as I have never tried the non-blue Floids so have no idea of the scent.

cheers

Thanks for the mini reviews. I agree with you completely! On both cases, I also found the blue to be 'meh..' and the Metilsol to smell bit off.

The Agua smells very close to the Le Pere Lucien soap if u got to try it. Which in turn reminds me of Vicks VapoRub..

I don't know.. Hope with time I'll find a flavor that I like or they'll grow on me.

Ok, a bit late but better late than never.

Myrsol Blue - I think I'm more of a fan than just 'meh'. Classy and subtle, especially compared to Floid Blue which is more 'in your face' but Floid Blue is also a scent that I love. On that note, so far, I love the Floid Blue, Suave and Vigaroso, but there is enough menthol in each to make them not a first choice if its below freezing out. I don't find the two 'Blues' to be that similar to each other actually, but they aren't totally different from each other either. In fact, I find Myrsol F/Extra to be more like Floid Blue than is the Myrsol Blue, enough so that I think if you like one, you will probably like the other.

Metilsol and Balsamica smell NOTHING like each other even though one has thyme and the other has rosemary and both have 'herbal' notes:

Myrsol Metilsol - if you have a bit of a 'rough' shave with maybe a bit more 'burn' than usual, you might want to use this. Scent is odd, definitely thyme with a definite 'medicinal' background (the 'odd' part) but that's because its meant to be a first aid treatment for your skin (which is pretty much what aftershave is supposed to be)

Myrsol Balsamica - its ok, but very much in the herbal family with rosemary predominant. Strange smell for an aftershave (I think) but I don't think it will put anyone off. Nothing wrong with it, it just smells like you rubbed herbs in your face. No medicinal background like the Metisol.

Myrsol Formula C - definite lilac/violet scent and I detect mint as well. I have to say, not a fan but I disliked it less after it had been on for awhile and 'calmed down'.

Myrsol Aqua de Limon - I have a sample and it smells like Lemon. If you like lemon you will like it. If you dont, you wont.

Myrsol Plastic - no idea and not going to drop the 30 bucks to find out.

I have not tried any of the other Myrsol products. I think four is enough for now.

Mr Woo.

Top Bottom