What's new

My Ultimate Wetshaving Upgrade?

Well, to start off, it's been a great three years on the wetshaving front: since moving from Gotham (NYC) to the wilds of New Jersey, I've made numerous improvements, in spite of moving from a soft-water locale to one considerably harder, even though we totally revamped our house's main bathroom (as well as much of the house itself). I've homed in on a fave new pair of DE razors (both Parkers: Variant adjustable for home, A1-R for "away-shaves"), returned to an old-fave cream (D.R. Harris Arlington), found three great blades (Astra Superior Stainless and Croma as my go-to's, KAI when I'm feeling a bit more spendy), and discovered the pleasures of a cheap-but-terrific synthetic brush (Yaqi Heavy Metal).

But possibly the most profound kick upstairs in my shave routine didn't emanate from the bathroom, but the basement:

waterheater.jpg

The last major upgrade to the house was, in fact, supposed to be one of the first: the electric water heater was already past its "due date" when we bought the house four years ago, but we were sorting out so much other stuff at the time, and, as I raised the question of whether or not to spend the money on a whole-house water filtration/softening system (not cheap), I didn't help matters much. However, nervousness about the old heater crapping out over the winter and/or leaking made us finally move off the dime. we went with a conventional-but-quality gas water heater, since (1) most of the time it's just the two of us using it, and (2) "on-demand" units are generally a lot pricier (in terms of both initial purchase and installation) and more maintenance-intensive.

Naturally, compared to a badly-aging water heater, my first shower using the new heater was quite a treat: hotter water, and more of it, with higher pressure and greater consistency; no surprises here. What was a surprise, for me, anyway, was the first post-shower shave: without any change in prep or technique, there was a seriously palpable difference in the quality of that shave, for the better: thicker lathering, smoother, slicker glide of the razor, a more supple post-shave skin feel. What was going on?

Then, I noticed that that suppleness wasn't limited to my mug: head-to-toe, my skin felt somewhat less dry; this has always been a big deal for me particularly in Winter. Can a simple change-out of a water heater, without adding a filter or softener, have that profound an effect?

At the moment, I'm looking into a few relatively-inexpensive methods for softening water coming into the house, ahead of the heater. In the meantime color me pleasantly gobsmacked.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nice heater, it is great to have a reliable hot water supply. Our gas water heater gave out a few years ago. We went for the instantaneous gas type, 26 litres per minute. Best thing that we did. The only draw back is if you have lost power in a black out then you do not have any hot water. We are in Australia by the way.

Nice choice on the gas. I years ago had an electric and was miserable. On demand heaters whether gas or electric don’t interest me due to the maintenance and install costs. The gas heater I have now was new with the home we built and it’s absolutely perfect after 10 years, zero maintenance!

Could there have been sediments in your old hot water heaters tank making the water more hard than it should have been? Likely the cause.

Nice choice on the gas. I years ago had an electric and was miserable. On demand heaters whether gas or electric don’t interest me due to the maintenance and install costs. The gas heater I have now was new with the home we built and it’s absolutely perfect after 10 years, zero maintenance!

Could there have been sediments in your old hot water heaters tank making the water more hard than it should have been? Likely the cause.

That appears to have been at least one of the issues with the old one; I'm still rather amazed at the difference even now. What were decent shaves on average have absolutely gone up a notch just from this one change. (The wife has noticed generally good results as well, though she'll know more tomorrow when she gives it "the Henna test" restyling her hair.)

Last edited:
I think that I would have a professional look at that gas water heater install. Running the gas line that close to the exhaust is not good. The exhaust vent is bent also. The job looks like a home owner install.

I think that I would have a professional look at that gas water heater install. Running the gas line that close to the exhaust is not good. The exhaust vent is bent also. The job looks like a home owner install.

Install was professional; mandatory inspection happens next week. If anything seems amiss, we'll likely find out.

Wife and I moved into a place with soft but stinky hot water. We also noticed black spots in the tubs and sinks, which drove my wife nuts. Got to the point we were looking into a chlorination system for the incoming well water. Long story short, we switched out 15+ year old water heater with a new A.O. Smith gas tank. Also swapped out standard anode rods with a powered titanium one. Smell is gone, no specks in water, water is hotel and is probably saving us on gas bills.

I'd agree you may have had some sediment on bottom of old tank that increased hardness of water. I'm assuming well water?

Wife and I moved into a place with soft but stinky hot water. We also noticed black spots in the tubs and sinks, which drove my wife nuts. Got to the point we were looking into a chlorination system for the incoming well water. Long story short, we switched out 15+ year old water heater with a new A.O. Smith gas tank. Also swapped out standard anode rods with a powered titanium one. Smell is gone, no specks in water, water is hotel and is probably saving us on gas bills.

I'd agree you may have had some sediment on bottom of old tank that increased hardness of water. I'm assuming well water?

Water supply is municipal, but noticeably harder than on the other side of the Hudson, so I can see how the old heater could have had build-up over a decade-plus of use (about 14 years if I recall).

Just curious, whereabouts in NJ are you? I’ve lived in North Jersey my whole life, and while I’m sure the water is on the hard side, I’ve not noticed any issues, though I have nothing to compare it to.

Glad you had such a positive experience with the new heater! We moved into our house two years ago, and the water heater was the one thing I knew was going to need replacing sooner rather than later; it is now pushing ten years old. I know i’m Going to have to replace it in the next few years, I hope my experience is as positive as yours!

Just curious, whereabouts in NJ are you? I’ve lived in North Jersey my whole life, and while I’m sure the water is on the hard side, I’ve not noticed any issues, though I have nothing to compare it to.

Glad you had such a positive experience with the new heater! We moved into our house two years ago, and the water heater was the one thing I knew was going to need replacing sooner rather than later; it is now pushing ten years old. I know i’m Going to have to replace it in the next few years, I hope my experience is as positive as yours!

Sorry for the late reply: We're in Asbury Park/Monmouth County. Water here is certainly harder then I recall in Manhattan or Brooklyn (though perhaps a bit lighter on the chlorine level, subjectively speaking).

I am using rain water--due to the heavy rain(s) in the Dallas area--for lathering, cleaning up my Omega 11126 brush, and razors. I have two- 2-liter soda bottles, a one liter pop bottle, and an aluminum vacuum bottle to use up. And, with more rain expected on Wednesday (17th). For some reason, rain water works up a thick creamy lather with either my Van der Hagen or Mama Bear's Dragon blood soap pucks.

Top Bottom