What's new

My Travels with Scotch (Single Malt)

Didn't purchase any bottles yet.
Did have talisker though with dinner tonight at a nice restaurant.

Talisker 10 - a wonderful, warm smoke filled my mouth. A hint of chocolate and some sorta spice. Went lovely with steak. Some were too much but it was never harsh. Always smooth. Peaty definitely. Still not what I'm looking for though.
8.7/10

Questions:
- is it possible for a scotch to be smoky but not peaty?
- if so, can you recommend them to me?
- what are some wonderfully oaky and/or honeyed scotches?

Singleton 12 y/o - Wow. Both for the price ($38) and the taste. I mean.. it's smooth, yet with a hint of smoke. Mellow but a strong finish. Cinnamony at points but overall this might be my go to bottle from now on as long as they don't jack up the prices. 9/10

Glenlivet 12 - Weak start. Hits my tongue and I wait for the flavors to come alive. When they do, look out. It's magnificent. The finish for this is where it's all about for me. Fruity and honeyed. Vanilla there too maybe. Mm mm. 8.5/10

Macallan 10 - Honeyed start gives way to a hint of fruit. Almost like a lighter bourbon. Truly delicious. I'm so lucky to be able to experience all these malts. At really good prices too (close to $30). A hint of smoke. Just a touch. The 12 has definitely more spices to it. Not saying I prefer one of the other. They are both really good. 8.7/10

Well, i am impressed one could dislike Balvenie Doublewood 12. It's a superb malt.

Was surprised as that as well...but palates differ. Balvenie Double Wood is my go-to scotch and I love all kinds...peaty, highlands, lowlands (well...ok, these are my least fav but I still wouldn't kick them out of bed!) :lol:

Granted, I just bought my second Aberlour A'bunadh....so, I like just about anything!

Well... I'll have to drink my words.
Balvenie has proven me wrong.
I'm really enjoying it.

Ok...glad to see you're coming around :smile:

On my list next is:
- Talisker 10
- Caol Ila
- Macallan 10 (not fine oak cask that I keep seeing)
- Ardbeg Uigiadail
- Cragganmore 12

Out of this list (had em all) my fav is the Talisker...no question. But, again YMMV!

Last edited:
I need to update this.
I've recently purchased Ardbeg Supernova, Bowmore 12, Dalwhinnie 12..I think.. Glenlivet 10 and received Glenlivet 21 as a gift.

After finals are over, I will.

Enjoyed your thread. I didn't realize initially that it went back several months. I was waiting for you to get to that Talisker! I enjoyed it last evening, and it was a very different experience, from the time it arrived at my table to the last sip, from the Speyside and Islay malts that I have tried. The color, nose, taste, and finish were like no other single malt I have tried. One of the highlights was the peat of the Islays, but just a hint of it. I got the slightest smokey beef finish that Laphroaig gives you by the bucketful at the finish. I can really enjoy it at that intensity!

Last edited:
I'm a complete newbie in regards to this, but I'll make an effort to buy a couple of bottles when I go to Edinburgh in January.

I generally like sweet tastes, so I'll check out the Glenlivet Nadurra 16, and the Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or.

Thanks for the simple but informative reviews!

Dalmore Cigar - Awful. Just.. plain awful. It was like drinking an ashtray. It actually gave me a headache. My least favorite scotch. But it's still better than Jose Cuervo. Gave it away.
1/10

It tastes terrible because it was made to go with cigars. But I agree it REALLY tasted like crap by itself. But with a cigar it's a whole other game.

Scotches with more subtle aromas would be killed by the cigar, but the Dalmore is just perfect for that purpose (but only that one :p).

If you want smoky, try Bowmore Darkest.

I got into Single Malts in the early spring of '07.
Ardberg - currently my go-to bottle. Each is different. I love when I get hit with the smokiness and chocolate at the same time..or is it toffee? Either way, some sips just fall flat.
8/10

Singleton 12 y/o - Wow. Both for the price ($38) and the taste. I mean.. it's smooth, yet with a hint of smoke. Mellow but a strong finish. Cinnamony at points but overall this might be my go to bottle from now on as long as they don't jack up the prices. 9/10

I am just getting into the game fellas but your suggestions in this thread will be used to navigate my way in off the sidelines.
These two intrigue me & I will start with them if I can locate them.

Thanks for starting this thread 3AM Shadow

Top Bottom