What's new

My thoughts: Claymore SE

I have yet another razor on loan. This time it is the Claymore SE.

A full review will have to wait until tomorrow but here are my initial thoughts.
The blade feel and aggressiveness reminds me of the RX.
While the performance and experience the RX makes me think of this:

fea3064a9df54664997542606280994a.gif

The Claymore makes me think of this:

97Gsr9E.gif

As I said a full review tomorrow.

I had one turn up in the post on thursday. I used a 7 shave schick pro blade. I shaved with the mind set of respect and treat like a Fatip OC. I just let the weight of the thing do is job, I just pulled it around the face. The result was a BBS in just 3 passes and the last one was just touch ups. The shave quality lasted nearly 24 hrs before and stubble dared to poke through and it was so scared I only had to touch up with gillette rocket.

For me I reckon its right on the edge of too aggressive and just right aggressive. Its well built and looks the part. A definate deeper for me.

I have yet another razor on loan. This time it is the Claymore SE.

A full review will have to wait until tomorrow but here are my initial thoughts.
The blade feel and aggressiveness reminds me of the RX.
While the performance and experience the RX makes me think of this:

The Claymore makes me think of this:

As I said a full review tomorrow.

Is this version 1 or 2? I'm looking forward to your review.

The original Claymore was massive with a domed head. Could be used as a finishing hammer. v2 is thinner, angled, and has side flaps. v2 is this:
claymore2.jpg

Original Claymore is this:
claymore2-jpg.686691

V2 here. Just shaved and, cor blimey gov'nor its BBS all the way. Again just one nick well not a weeper but it caught last Fridays nick and opened it up a little. Alum sorted that out. No irritation just smooth in 2 1/2 passess. Love it, love , love it.

Okay here are my thoughts after only one shave.

This thing is a beast! There I said it. The last razor I used was the Occam which is a light razor so the contrast with the Claymore is even greater. I don't know the stats but this has to be one of the heavier razors around. There is nothing flimsy or cheap feeling at all about this razor. Everything is machined well and everything fits tight. I was warned that I should use a Kia guard with the Claymore as it is very aggressive. Since my benefactor was kind enough to provide a pack of them I obliged.

When loading the blade I undid the whole razor. Not sure if I had to as it looks like the top and bottom seperate enough when just loosened to allow a blade to be slipped in. I put the blade in the top cap and screwed it together, when I did the blade popped out of one of the slot holders and was misaligned. I loosened it and tried again and this time no problem.

As to the shave, well I'm glad that I used the Guarded blade. This lets you feel the full force of the AC type blade. Lots of blade feel. Add to this the just shear heft of the razor it felt like it could really do damage. The angle is simple to find and just by letting the razor drop by it's own weight it wiped out every whisker. The poor guys didn't stand a chance. No skipping, no dragging, no floating blade, no sir just getting the job done!!
As I said in the OP this is the image that comes to mind.

97gsr9e-gif.868156

3 Passes were done. I could have done 2 with a few touch-ups but this razor was made to shave and I was afraid to say no. Holding the Claymore I was worried that it would be difficult to maneuver. I mean something as heavy as a tank surely would be a clunker to drive around the face. I had nothing to worry about. Don't get me wrong the Claymore isn't nimble like an Old Type or even the RX but it isn't overwhelming or even difficult. I think The shave experience is best explained in picture form..

MediocreBigFurseal-size_restricted.gif

I finished up with a great BBS shave. Not a weeper or even irritation could be found.

I look forward to few more shaves and will try it with either a proline or a Feather Pro and see what will happen.

Great review, however one error - your tank is a Chieftain (which is their new razor)
Chieftain-MBT.jpg

this is a Claymore
claymore.jpg

Similar strength, I guess. ;-)

So I'm risking getting hurt...what is this I'm looking at?
It's the belt buckle of death!
Straight from the Wikipedia:
"The M18A1 Claymore is a directional anti-personnel mine developed for the United States Armed Forces. Its inventor, Norman MacLeod, named the mine after a large Scottish medieval sword. Unlike a conventional land mine, the Claymore is command-detonated and directional, meaning it is fired by remote-control and shoots a pattern of metal balls into the kill zone like a shotgun."

It's the belt buckle of death!
Straight from the Wikipedia:
"The M18A1 Claymore is a directional anti-personnel mine developed for the United States Armed Forces. Its inventor, Norman MacLeod, named the mine after a large Scottish medieval sword. Unlike a conventional land mine, the Claymore is command-detonated and directional, meaning it is fired by remote-control and shoots a pattern of metal balls into the kill zone like a shotgun."
WOW!

I'm guessing that the razor is named after the sword and not the mine.
Thanks.

Really good write up. The V2. Claymore is a well made, heavily built brute. And just like you said @imatabor, this razor really needs no help in the shaving end. No pressure at all and the weight of the razor does its thing. A controlled fall is best on how I would describe on shaving with it. Using the guarded blade kind of eases the aggressiveness until one can get the angle and feel for it. But it shaves extremely well when paired with a Feather, Kai & Schick. Just more blade feel compared to the guarded ones.

Not the prettiest razor in my shave den, but definitely one of the more efficient ones in my collection. An ugly duckling that I’ve grown to like very much.......

Top Bottom