What's new

My thoughts: Claymore SE

Final shave is in the books before I head this out to the post office.

I swapped out the guarded blade for a Proline. I have gotten use to the weight so that is no longer an issue. The proline really stepped things up a bit. The blade feel was very pronounced.

The Good:
After 3 passes I got a extreme BBS shave.
The razor is ell made and feels good in the hand

The Bad:
My neck ended up with some redness. I'm sure if I got a few more shaves in that I would perfect things and get rid of the red.
It is ugly. Sorry but there is nothing sexy about it. It works and works well but it's as attractive as a UPS Truck.

Final thought:
This is a great razor. If you are looking for an aggressive well built razor in the AC blade format this should be on your radar.
Do I need one?
No, I'm thankful for the chance to experience it. I get that same blade feel from my El Jefe, if I want heft I'll pick up my Brass General.

I swapped out the guarded blade for a Proline. I have gotten use to the weight so that is no longer an issue. The proline really stepped things up a bit. The blade feel was very pronounced.

The Good:

The Bad:
My neck ended up with some redness. I'm sure if I got a few more shaves in that I would perfect things and get rid of the red.
It is ugly. Sorry but there is nothing sexy about it. It works and works well but it's as attractive as a UPS Truck.

Final thought:
This is a great razor. If you are looking for an aggressive well built razor in the AC blade format this should be on your radar.
Do I need one?
No, I'm thankful for the chance to experience it. I get that same blade feel from my El Jefe, if I want heft I'll pick up my Brass General.

Pretty good summation there amigo......

In other words, this image says it all......

675833C3-D2B4-4533-BB45-EFA8CA53D904.gif

The Good:

The Bad:

Final thought:
Do I need one?

Hmmm, I read somewhere (and I don't remember which forum) that someone found the Claymore to be more aggressive, more blade forward than the ATT SE2. I was thinking of picking one up for this reason. However, if the SE2 is in the same room, I would probably go with the SE2. I'm not against utility looks (I like my Rockwell, too), but I like domed heads over angled and I still like pretty razors.

Interesting! Thanks for the review.

Gus & John

Well I had my fist shave with the Claymore yesterday and I used the Feather blade. I was in a very big hurry to get somewhere which was probably not the best time to take this heavy beast on it’s maiden voyage. I have to say first I pride myself on my technique and almost never getting a weeper, nick or even a red spot but I got all 3 yesterday. All my fault as I used long fast strokes and did only 2 passes WTG and XTG with somewhat of reckless abandonment. I was in such a hurry I never even noticed them until I got dressed and looked in the mirror when I splashed some cologne on. It was such a contrast to the amazing BBS shave I got from the Cobra Classic which definitely got my RAD going. I used my favorite AC blade the Proline in the Cobra Classic. So in all fairness I’ll wait till tomorrow and load the Proline in the Claymore and TAKE MY TIME and also use my short stroke skin stretch technique as I felt a lot of blade feel on the first shave as well as a little bit of harshness similar to the ATT SE2 OC I just sold which I tried my hardest to like but didn’t. So I’ll give the Claymore another shave tomorrow but man I can’t wait to get back to that Cobra as that may be my favorite AC razor I’ve ever used.
I’ll be back with another report tomorrow. Just want to thank you Gus for the opportunity to try these razors.
You da man!
:punk:

Frank, there is a pack of Kai pinks in the box. These are great for a trial run to get the feel for it in the Claymore.

Frank, there is a pack of Kai pinks in the box. These are great for a trial run to get the feel for it in the Claymore.
+1 Exactly. The Kai MG's will soften the feel considerably on the Claymore until you get a feel for it. Those MG's aren't slouches either as @imatabor can atest to. Good for getting to know an unfamiliar SE razor.

+1 Exactly. The Kai MG's will soften the feel considerably on the Claymore until you get a feel for it. Those MG's aren't slouches either as @imatabor can atest to. Good for getting to know an unfamiliar SE razor.
I was soooo tempted to keep the Kia blades. I did keep the one I used and put it into my RX. Haven't used it yet but I hope it tames the RX

Guys it was probably on me as I was in a big hurry and that was definitely not the right razor to pick up for a 3 minute shave. I was just excited to try both of them as soon as possible. I'll try the Kai Pink in the Claymore or maybe the Proline which is my personal favorite AC blade. I'll see how the shave goes but I already know I'm in love with the Cobra Classic and I'll keep my eyes out for one. Also I'm waiting on the Paradigm AC to launch I'm hoping it's as good as the reviews I'm reading from the guys that got to use the prototype but for now the Cobra has set the standard for AC razors for me.
I'll keep you posted in this thread on how the next couple of shaves go with both razors...thanks again guys!
You both rock!!

Hi Guys
Ok I did a half face shave. Kai Pink in the Claymore and the same Proline in the Cobra Classic. I did get a better nick free shave out of the Claymore this time and but to me it's not nearly as smooth or as efficient. I got to a BBS in 2 passes and a touch up on my cowlick and I gave the Cobra my hard side to shave while it took a full 3 passes and a touch up on my jawline to get to a BBS with the Claymore and I had some irritation as well. like I mentioned before the Claymore just feels a little harsh against me face and I was talking to my buddy ShaveMD ( Mark ) and he had the same experience with the Claymore as I'm having with it and sold his. I think once in awhile you get a razor that just doesn't feel right in hand or on your face like the ATT SE2 did and vintage Streamline no matter what I tried it just didn't work for me. Mark said I should try the Asylum RX.

Now onto the Cobra side. I got a great shave today with the Cobra and I got to say I'm absolutely loving it so much that now it's definitely on my bucket list. I like the head with it low profile which works really well around my nose and mouth. I find it almost as easy to shave with as some of my injectors for example. Very smooth and very efficient. Now the problem is to find one!
Gus could you send me your address so I can get you back your razors. BUT PLEASE don't take my Cobra away from me!!! LOL ....jk
:thumbsup:

I found the RX as harsh as the Claymore even though the head is smaller.

If you happen to find 2 Cobras just remember my birthday is in December.

For me the Cobra classic is the gold standard in which I compare all my SE’s. The Rx is more aggressive but I find I can get a great shave with it using the Kai or Feather guarded blades.

I found the RX as harsh as the Claymore even though the head is smaller.

If you happen to find 2 Cobras just remember my birthday is in December.
LMAO!! Yeah I'll remember the month but the way it's going I haven't seen one for sale yet and I've been actively looking as I really like it the more I use it. I'm really hoping that the new Paradigm or the New Blackland AC format razor shaves as well as the Cobra. Should have bought that snake when I had the chance...kicking myself in the buttocks! :001_tt2:

0B566864-4C5E-4E12-8888-BB43973F95BE.jpeg
So I used a Claymore v2 just now and I’m very very impressed!
You know I like aggressive razors and this v2 suits me perfectly.

The v1 I found unremarkable but I like the Claymore v2 better than all the SE AC razors I’ve used - better than the Cobra, the Rx, the Alumigoose v2, ATT SE1/2, El Jefe, all of them!

Lots of blade feel and 135g of heft.
Also it’s not ugly - it’s Art Deco!

So I’ve been using the Claymore v2 for head shaving this week with a Schick Proline blade and I must say that it works very well indeed!

Provoked by @rabidus I conducted a shave off between the Claymore v2 with a fresh Proline and the 2011 R41 with an Annecy Swede.
Fight of the Century and you can read about it here:
2011 R41 - The Quest Achieved!

762EE71D-B8CF-4E6B-BEF8-F4347239D388.jpeg

I shaved half my face and head with the Claymore v2 and the other half of my face and head with the 2011 R41.

12 hrs later there’s still very little in it and both sides are still near BBS so we’ll see how the shaves compare after another 12 hours.

The Claymore v2 is a worthy opponent for the 2011 R41 - they both have a lot of blade feel and a bit of chatter and both are as fierce as they come.

I’m also discovering that the Claymore v2 is excellent for head shaving!

Nice comparison between 2 razors toward the top end of efficiency. Look forward to hear how they are at 24 hrs

Nice comparison between 2 razors toward the top end of efficiency. Look forward to hear how they are at 24 hrs

So the results of the Claymore V2 vs 2011 R41 shave off have really surprised me.
After 12 hours the results from each razor were indistinguishable.

But after 24hrs the Claymore V2 with a Proline blade seemed to have shaved just marginally closer than the 2011 R41 with a Gillette Swede.

By 36hrs the results were indistinguishable again.

So I am very surprised to say that for me the Claymore V2 can shave as close as or closer than the 2011 R41.

The 2011 R41 is still my favourite DE of all time but who knew that the Claymore V2 could rival it in performance?

Top Bottom